Radial headbone vt with a load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial headbone vt with a load?

I have a tube amp switcher that says I can't use delay in the effects loop of the amps because the switcher is not a load switch. It says I can't have a signal in the amp after its switched.
    So, what if I put a 100watt load resistor in parallel with the output of each amp before heading back to the switcher?

The effects loop is between the preamp and power amp and therefore independent of the load. I think the reason they are giving you this instruction is because you might switch amps with a substantial output signal coming through the amp from the delay even after you stopped playing. Personally... I don't like hot switching loads on amplifiers at all. It's asking for trouble. I'm not sure what you think adding the resistors would do? I can tell you that anyone I know that hotswitched loads smoked their gear. Better to A/B/Y the inputs of two separate amps and speakers.

Comment

I did a lot of research on this. Found no negative response to the way the radial switch uses relays instead of a resistive load to switch. I also heard of blown OT's on resistive switches.

I was going to add the resistor to become the load. So the signal would fizz out through the load after being switched.

Then I thought I would use my webber attenuators on the amps to have that load on the amp output.and be able to run the small amp at the volume I want.

Comment

The manual says that VT has a load resistor switched in for the inactive amp; I suppose it will be rated just a watt or two http://www.tonebone.com/manual-headbone.pdf
        If it's in warranty, maybe ask the manufacturer to mod it; if not, get it done, perhaps put it on a jack socket so that a suitable external dummy load can be connected to the VT.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

They can't mod it ( not enough room) they offered another product that does remote effects loop switching with the headbone. Bummer, trying to eliminate gear for the sake of tone I want but have to add another piece and slew of cables to get it done.

Comment

Working...
          X