Taming splashy reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taming splashy reverb

What's the easiest way to tame a splashy reverb on a Fender Super Six Reverb?
    TIA

TZ,

The absolute easiest way has to be replacing V3 with a 12AU7. These amps run the reverb drive tube real hard, and as the 12AU7 has a lower Gm than a 12AT7 - and thus a hotter bias point for a given Rk -I'd keep an eye on the tube temps for an hour or so just to be safe.

Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray.I've got some NOS GE 12AU7's .I'll try one in the morning.

Comment

What Ray says will work. If you don't want to change the tube you can mod the grid resistor for that circuit. The simplest way is to swap the 1M from the 500pF to ground to something like 470K or 330K. This will load down the second gain stage a little and you may notice a little less very high end. Some cats like that.

If the loss of high end bothers you then wire two 470Ks in series and then connect the grid wire to the junction. OK to fly the junction if you're using resistors with thick enough leads that it won't flop around.

Yet another way would be to bias the tube a little colder. Try swapping the 2K2 cathode resistor to 3K3 or something higher. Try increasing the value of the cathode bypass cap to something between 1uF and 5uF.

Comment

Working...
        X