X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie makes guitar amps now?

Anybody hear about this yet?

http://www.mackie.com/products/hotwire/

I'm not sure if it's along the lines of the vox valvetronix series or more like a Fender CyberTwin.

Anyway... It wouldn't be interesting at all if it was from a different company. I'm a bit suprised that Mackie (now "Loud Technologies") are getting in the sort-of tube amp business.

Loud Technologies now also owns Saint Louis Music - makers of Crate and AMpeg - so it would be no problem for them to knock out some new amps and stick the Mackie name on them.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And I suppose they come with the same service?
      If it's broke just chuck it and buy a new one ?

Alf

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Loud Technologies now also owns Saint Louis Music - makers of Crate and AMpeg - so it would be no problem for them to knock out some new amps and stick the Mackie name on them.
        Well, the point of the article that I saw on line was that it was actually designed by Greg Mackie. It doesn't appear to be a crate with the Mackie name just stuck on it.

Comment

Wow, it even has a USB port. The age of the USB guitar amp is upon us. I'd love to try one and see what it sounds like.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I wasn't thinking it was just a renamed product, but that with all the recently added capability in manufacturing, it would be no problem for them to go right into production. What seems like a new direction might not be so surprising.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Was there any mention in the advert what kind of tubes it had?

Comment

Does it have a built in loop function?

The picture of the footcontroller on the site http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage...-1-Alt3Qtr.jpg shows rec play/stop buttons, but I didn't see any mention of that in the text.

Comment

Originally posted by earache View Post
                  Was there any mention in the advert what kind of tubes it had?
                  I think it either said or implied that there were two 12ax7's. Basically, it looks like an analog preamp followed by digital effects and a digital power amp.

(Not that I'm exactly sure how a power amp can be "digital.")

Comment

Oh they sure can. They toggle a square wave and the duty cycle - at least in one system - can combine with a standing triangle wave to create an analog output signal. They can also just send various width pulses into a cap filter and the charge rate smoothes things into analog. Then a serious low pass filter cleans it up. Tends to be efficient somehow. Very scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      Oh they sure can. They toggle a square wave and the duty cycle - at least in one system - can combine with a standing triangle wave to create an analog output signal. They can also just send various width pulses into a cap filter and the charge rate smoothes things into analog. Then a serious low pass filter cleans it up. Tends to be efficient somehow. Very scary.
                      "Scary" is probably the best word I can think of. :-)

I'm still interested in hearing how this thing sounds, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high... I haven't played a modeling amp yet that really sounded or felt like the amps it was modeling.

Comment

Working...
                      X