Gibson P90 wind direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson P90 wind direction

Last edited by Stratz; 07-26-2015, 10:01 PM.

I compared 3 modern Gibson p-90s (2 from 2011 ,1 from the 90's) compared to my p-90's & using the multimeter to find phase & all 3 are in phase with mine .
    I use hot from finish wire & ground the start .
    when the bobbin is on the faceplate (top facing you) when winding ,it is spinning counter clockwise ,so that would wind your pickup clockwise & my start is taped to the faceplate & lead wire is added after winding .
    all p-90's north up magnets .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      I compared 3 modern Gibson p-90s (2 from 2011 ,1 from the 90's) compared to my p-90's & using the multimeter to find phase & all 3 are in phase with mine .
      I use hot from finish wire & ground the start .
      when the bobbin is on the faceplate (top facing you) when winding ,it is spinning counter clockwise ,so that would wind your pickup clockwise & my start is taped to the faceplate & lead wire is added after winding .
      all p-90's north up magnets .
      So I interpret that to be the winding arm on the right (sitting facing the winder), bottom going?
      The completed wound bobbin looking down from the top the + output signal tied to the finish lead would be traveling clockwise?
      Is that correct?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

My repair log says CCW south up but I sometimes have slight dyslexia when logging wind direction.

Stew Mac says they were all CCW and south up for what ever that's worth.
        The correct information is important to me for this project.
        I do appreciate the reply's and hope to hear from more builders on this.
        Thank you.

Comment

I always make them north, so they are in phase with humbuckers that are north oriented, like all Seymour Duncans.
          As long as everything is consistent that is the main thing.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            I always make them north, so they are in phase with humbuckers that are north oriented, like all Seymour Duncans.
            As long as everything is consistent that is the main thing.
            T
            Cant do that Terry.
            It's a neck pickup for a 70's Gibson and it must match the bridge or it will be out of phase.

Comment

Sell him a set, and you won't have that problem!
              Just kidding, just do what you need to do.
              Terry

Comment

run a 3 wire lead, one to earth the base plate, and the other two for the start and finish of the coil. if its out of phase, he can reverse the wires. it may not be humbucking with the other, but it will work none the less.

I do that with my p-90s and tele pups do avoid the issue of incorrect phase with other pickups from other makers.

Comment

I don't remember if the hot wire is connected to the start or finish on Gibson pickups ,I'm stating that mine are in phase with them ,if they were wound in the opposite direction than mine & wires reversed they would be still in phase .

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
                    run a 3 wire lead, one to earth the base plate, and the other two for the start and finish of the coil. if its out of phase, he can reverse the wires. it may not be humbucking with the other, but it will work none the less.

I do that with my p-90s and tele pups do avoid the issue of incorrect phase with other pickups from other makers.
                    I also do that with humbuckers.
                    I use the 2 wire with shield, and 4 wire with shield.
                    I shy away from the bare braided wire, but I'm not big into vintage.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post

Thats Zachary what I did.
                      Although he wanted a dead on late 70's match, brass base plate and all (thank goodness for cheap pickups left behind by customers) I had to go with 2 conductor plus shield since it's going around the other side of the world.

Comment

Original Gibsons from that era were wound CCW (when viewed from the top) and had south up polarity
                        =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                          Original Gibsons from that era were wound CCW (when viewed from the top) and had south up polarity
                          I have a late 60's early 70's (clear bobbin ) p-90 that a customer gave me . it had south up polarity but I'm not sure if the customer had tampered with it & wound pretty hot 8.8k

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                            Thanks Jim. Thats what my repair log says but I wanted to be sure. I believe pretty much all Gibson P90's are CCW/south up.

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                            I don't remember if the hot wire is connected to the start or finish on Gibson pickups
                            The start has has to go to ground. If you were to run the finish end to ground and the screw poles were to touch the strings the pickup would cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post

The start has has to go to ground. If you were to run the finish end to ground and the screw poles were to touch the strings the pickup would cut out.
                              Why?

Comment

Working...
                              X