Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 VOX Ac30c2 service manual

Hello,
    I am new to the forum. I am also at my wits end looking for the service manual for the Vox ac30c2. I have found the outdated AC30CC2 schematic but I cannot find the new one. After reading a lot of forums , I have come to find out that VOX has made it a closely guarded secret for some odd reason. Does any one have the new schematics so that I can make Modifications to the tone stack capacitors and the bright caps.
    PLEASE HELP

You don't need any service manual and strictly, not even a schematic (although it helps) to change tone control and bright cap values.

You just read the current values and replace by higher/lower values and test.

That said, those are classic amps, tone was reached afcter endless experiment and was tweaked to death, at the factory itself, until present values were found.

Modding them will certainly change sound, one way or the other, but I guess sooner or later you'll return to stock.

Have witnessed that way many times to keep count of.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Side note on MEF Google presence

Just 2 or 3 days ago there were a couple posts about MEF threads appearing on Google, the right or the wrong way.

I just googled "vox ac30 cc2 schematic" and mind you, not on the "main" , USA based Google search but on the * Argentine* version ... and the VERY FIRST link to appear was an MEF one:

https://Google.com.ar/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CCoQFjAEah UKEwik8Kbt8_vGAhWFfZAKHb6vBmk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmusic-electronics-forum.com%2Ft33341%2F&ei=nXO2VeStLYX7wQS-35rIBg&usg=AFQjCNHyriiIBb3hT9f_5n6UHeAD2xLBaA&sig2=H3OXC zgPFsUNhnyMt2ZY6g
      Vox AC30 C2 Schematic/Service Manual Needed - Music Electronics Forum
      music-electronics-forum.com › Schematic Requests
      For your eyes only ..... and maybe 2000 Million others
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks JMF. But that manual is the one that is older and don't match the new amps. It's not the values of the caps it is the caps themselves that they used. I want to mod the crapp caps they used and use mojo caps to get a more vintage feel out of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          For your eyes only ..... and maybe 2000 Million others
          Does that mean 2000 Million people can see all the crap I post on here? Just as well I'm not using my real name then. Oh wait!

Comment

Originally posted by vioman19 View Post
            Thanks JMF. But that manual is the one that is older and don't match the new amps. It's not the values of the caps it is the caps themselves that they used. I want to mod the crapp caps they used and use mojo caps to get a more vintage feel out of the amp.
            The schematic probably won't include a parts list. If it does include a parts list, it probably won't include the part manufacturer. Just saying that all you need to know is the value of the caps involved, which includes voltage rating and capacitance. Just be aware that changing those caps won't make a huge difference or possibly even any difference at all. If it makes you happy that is all that matters and if you can hear it then that is what is important.
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Well, if you know the values, and all you want to do is change the brands of caps in the amp, seems like the new schematic wouldn't be necessary.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's not the values of the caps it is the caps themselves that they used. I want to mod the crapp caps they used and use mojo caps to get a more vintage feel out of the amp
                Sorry to hear that because it won't happen.

Least important part in sound is capacitor brand and age.

Speakers are 1000000 times more important, difference can easily be heard and measured.

If anything, try to get a couple **old** speakers , same as those used in original VOX amps (which will cost you a few hundred $$$) or some old VOX , which will cost you a few thousand ... but is the real thing.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. I did all the mods to date including going with a more vintage feel of the speakers and tubes. The amp sounds amazing as it stands right now. I am in no way knocking the Stock VOX but I am a professional player and I want to take my sound that extra step including going with the woden clone output transformer and the classic JMI spec caps. Here is a forum that Lyle Caldwell posted on the mods that he performed to get the JMI spec in the new ac30 c2.
                  Vox AC30C2 Mods with Variable Voltage - MyLesPaul.com

Comment

The problem is that I don't know the cap values that are on the stock PCB

Comment

VOX has used the same klunky (but hey, it's *their* version of clunky and an important part of their signature sound) tone control everywhere, since forever and in a thousand amps, specially AC30 , so I very very much doubt they changed values specifically on your model.
                      So it should be the same as this:

I have seen a 56pF cap in the place of the 47pF one, a very small change, if any (considering caps were 20% tolerance).

As of possible mods: you can't really decrease the 47/56pF one, parasitic cable capacitance must already be close to that value.
                      Increasing it will make the amp have more high mids and be less chimey, it will cease to be a VOX without actually becoming a Fender or Marshall.

If you decrease the .022 ones you rise bass turnover frequency and probably amp will become more middy and less bassy.
                      If you increase it the opposite will happen, the amp will be somewhat more hollow sounding, more scooped.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank you JMF that helps ALOT !!

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          Those tone stacks don't look right?
                          No bass caps, and the Fender mid cap is shown as 10nF, rather than the regular BF 47nF (22nF on some models).
                          Download TSC http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/ to view and play with the more usual arrangements.
                          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Just thought this might add some clarification re the C2 version from ultimate guitar.

Code:
                            http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/vox/ac30c2
                            "The AC30C2 amp became available in early 2010. Most stores had this amp during the months of February and March. This is a 30 watt class A all tube amp. It is comprised of three 12AX7 tubes and four EL84 tubes. Different for this model is that the faulty value rectifier was replaced with a solid state version. Purists will not like this, but I can say that the sound is solid and I can do without the headaches of having a value rectifier cease working. This model has the classic Vox AC30 sound and chime. The speakers have been improved with Celestion Greenbacks (25 watts a side). This is a two channel amp and is plenty loud. It has that beautiful UK sound. It has a nice spring reverb and the classic Vox tremolo."

So C2 has a solid state rectifier.. can recall many problems trying to get a decently made tube rectifier as well as possible problems with the filter capacitor load.

As I understand it purists prefer the character of the tube rectifier with all it's failings ...

Would have thought this would have a far greater effect than any minor variations in tone caps.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                              Those tone stacks don't look right?...
                              I agree. What's the source of those figures Juan?

Comment

Working...
                              X