Electric fence security question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    NO, we are ALL telling you that your idea is UNSAFE .

It may easily land you in jail.

There must be a reason that NO electric fence uses line frequency power at any voltage, and ALL use ultra narrow ultra low current very high current pulses.
    True 'nuff.

British newspapers reported a case some years back where a gardener put his own "electric fence" around his yard to keep his neighbor's dog out. Rigged it straight to the 240V AC line. Killed the dog. Landed the gardener in jail for a couple years. I've a feeling that's not the only time this sort of thing has been done.

In USA, and I'm sure it's the same most anywhere, there are laws against "man traps." This certainly includes electric fences whether the proper type or something cooked up by amateurs. When proper electric fences are used out on the prairie, no problem. In a densely populated area, not so much.

One of my customers, a farmer by trade, had electric fencing to keep his cows in a corral when necessary. Short hi voltage pulses about 20 seconds apart. He said he could watch a cow push that fence and take jolt after jolt until it finally had enough and gave up. Dumb as cows they are - unlike a person who can figure out it's the fence that's giving the unpleasant shock. Cows aren't too quick to pick that up.

Constant hi voltage electric fencing may have been used to keep people from running away from concentration camps & prisons, that's not done anymore far as I know.

I'm in a part of town that was overrun by lowlifes of all sorts, and at one time I considered the electric fence idea. After research, no fence. Thank hevvins most of the criminal neighbors have moved on, but that situation may not be permanent.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      Dumb as cows they are - unlike a person who can figure out it's the fence that's giving the unpleasant shock...
      Leo, you know I came from Newburgh... when I moved to the country, one of my first jobs was weedeating the fenceline at the farm I was working at. Three hours later, my boss asked how it was. I said, fine, but my hands are numb and my arms hurt bad, and that there was something wrong with the weedeater sparkplug cable, cuz I kept getting shocked every few seconds.

His reply? "I asked Phil to shut off the fence this morning... guess he forgot! Sorry bout that,here's where the switch is for next time."

<SOME> people are smart enough to figure it out... this is all well before we became quite so litigious... And to think I coulda made an easy fortune. Hey, they're billionaires.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
        I'm sorry you feel so unsafe, I'd recommend you don't try to make anything so dangerous and unsophisticated that it might kill an innocent neighborhood (or your own ) kid. If it kills you, no problemo, at least you'll be at peace
        1) I have no kids... because I happen to enjoy only the first bit in the creation of children.
        2) I am "shock- prove and enjoyed a dozen of them, thus far; played around with tube Amps currents. Measuring its live DC circuit with one hand in the pocket.
        3) Hence, with this fence circuitry I'm only desperately trying to help and save the lives of criminals so, they can continue to rob our houses.

Comment

Thanks Juan for your good advice,
          Yes I agree, Christina is as bad as our chichona Bachelet. That's why I feel free to look after myself in this wild South. So, I just buy a cheap commercial unit. That offers me the chance to blame the manufacturer ...in case the poor thief got stuck with the loot.
          Since it's installed high-up, on the inside of the fence, from outside it will only be accessible to thieves. So, it's quite safe and I don't need to worry much about Chilean laws.
          Besides, I had this simple unit safe guarding my house in Quilpue (near Olmue) for many years and most young thieves were clever enough to respect my fortaleza (fortress). On top the fence I used military type of barbed wire, which prevented them to get to the electrified three rows of barbed wire, in the first place.

Comment

So, let's hope I won't get too many young thieves in poor health, able to climb a 3 meter high fence and back again with the loot!

Comment

Originally posted by jjj View Post
              So, let's hope I won't get too many young thieves in poor health, able to climb a 3 meter high fence and back again with the loot!
              As long as you have a goat or some animal, you can say that the Electric Fence is for keeping in and protection of the animals.
              You can't normally shoot a dog here in the states?
              However if the dog is after your livestock, it is a different matter entirely.
              Should be the same thing with the electric fence if it is up for livestock!
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                As long as you have a goat or some animal, you can say that the Electric Fence is for keeping in and protection of the animals.
                You can't normally shoot a dog here in the states? However if the dog is after your livestock, it is a different matter entirely. Should be the same thing with the electric fence if it is up for livestock!
                T
                No, I can't use this excuse, because the house is in a non-rural area. Yet, then again thieves usually love to shroud or disguise themselves in sheep costumes and so, I might be forgiven to mistake them as such...

Comment

thieves usually love to shroud or disguise themselves in sheep costumes and so, I might be forgiven to mistake them as such...
                  Baaaah, I can't believe this wild and wooly tail, aherrm, tale. Shear nonsense.

BTW I did ask local planning/zoning board about barbed wire because I'd like to have a triple row atop my own dream fence. They put the kibosh on that right away. You might say they took offense... "What if some kid got hurt climbing over your fence?" Yes geniuses, that's exactly WHY I want barbed wire on top.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jjj
                    thieves usually love to shroud or disguise themselves in sheep costumes and so, I might be forgiven to mistake them as such...
                    Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                    Baaaah, I can't believe this wild and wooly tail, aherrm, tale. Shear nonsense.
                    Pssssttt !!! Leo !!!!!! ..... he's not talking literally but referring to the old saying about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_i...p%27s_clothing

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

jjj, you may not live in a rural area, but SOMEWHERE no too far away, I imagine there is farm land. And where there are farms, there are also farm supply companies. The fencer you saw that was 110v may not work, but in your country there will be similar products that will work on your mains voltage. Try looking at a farm supply store.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Rather than shocking the hell out of them?
                        Why not design, or use something that makes a strobe or a loud alarm siren go off.
                        I bet it would have the same effect without the liability problems?
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

"Help yourself so helps you God!"... Breaking News >>> I finally found a 100% safe and effective solution: Using a harmless A Fly Swatter circuit!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcwNpPEcjIQ

Comment

that's one screwy blond...Click image for larger version

Name:	gorilla-suit-prank-1024x768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	839075

Comment

"Help yourself so helps you God!"... Breaking News >>> I finally found a 100% safe and effective solution: Using a harmless A Fly Swatter circuit!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcwNpPEcjIQ
                              In order to use it properly, you have to dress in short shorts and pigtails. I don't know if that's your 'thing'.
                              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                                In order to use it properly, you have to dress in short shorts and pigtails. I don't know if that's your 'thing'.
                                Thx for the fun... but seriously now: My endeavor is to build a non lethal electric fence on top of the existing fence, using a harmless fly swatter circuit as a thief deterrent. I could also use my 1V5V gas lighter circuit (from a cigarette lighter), which might be even better, because it has got pulsed output! I tripled its output with a Li-ion battery to reach 15KV and it flips quite strongly... Yet, since the current is that low, I suppose I would need to use 4 barbed wires to connect +V and -V outputs alternatively or will only +V barbed wiring work??
                                Could you knowledgeable technicians please advice me on that? Thank you in advance for your good advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X