Wiring Diagram Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Diagram Software

Hello, I'm looking for software that I can draw my own diagrams with. Of course I would prefer a free version, any thoughts?

The free version I use came from www.expresspcb.com and is handy if you don't mind making your own symbols for anything not in the library. The 'catch' with this free software (if it is a catch) is that the company expects you to want to make printed circuit boards using their services. I am sure there are others out there, evaluate and make your own choice.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

TinyCAD from SourceForge.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I have played around a little with expresspc but not the tinycad yet. Thanks again, I appreciate the input.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
          The free version I use came from www.expresspcb.com and is handy if you don't mind making your own symbols for anything not in the library. The 'catch' with this free software (if it is a catch) is that the company expects you to want to make printed circuit boards using their services.
          Yes, of course they expect you to use their services, that's why there are 2 small catches, not big deal anyway, specially for the home hobbyist.

The schematic design alone is worth the price and then some, I use it all the time to draw small circuits I post on Forums, including MEF .

As of the PCB fabrication side, the format they use is only "understood" by them, reasonable because it would be unfair for you to use their free software and then order boards somewhere else.
          Now for a home maker, their PCB designs can be printed and used for iron on transfers (PNP Blue type) or on transparencies, to expose photo positive boards.

The catch is that when actually printed to paper (not when viewed onscreen) they overprint the design with a matrix of tiny dots which are annoying or may make it useless.... but there's an easy workaround to avoid that.

So in a nutshell, a killer package.

What I love and is a VERY clever idea is their take on "automated" PCB design.

Instead of an autorouter which would make the software very complex and expensive, their BRIGHT solution was that when you click on any part pin or connection, all others which should be connected to it light up in blue (or was it green?) , and you simply "connect the dots" ... literally.

Absolute genius and you connect pads the way you like, way better than any dumb autorouter.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

All the schematics I've posted on MEF were drawn with ExpressPCB except for the one below which is TinyCAD For quickness I don't follow the design rules if I'm not making a PCB but I have used the tools "properly" to design a few PCBs using TinyCAD and FreePCB. TinyCAD will output files for "schematic capture" by FreePCB and FreePCB will generate Gerber and NC drill files for PCB manufacture. TinyCAD will also export a Parts List (BOM) in csv format which can be imported into a spreadsheet so you don't have to write the BOM manually.

The few tube symbols I generated for ExpressSCM and TinyCAD are in the zip.

cdhLib.zip

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaffa20.png
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	839139

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Now for a home maker, their PCB designs can be printed and used for iron on transfers (PNP Blue type) or on transparencies, to expose photo positive boards.

The catch is that when actually printed to paper (not when viewed onscreen) they overprint the design with a matrix of tiny dots which are annoying or may make it useless.... but there's an easy workaround to avoid that.
              And what is the easy work around?
              I'm fixing to get ready to move in the direction of making a small, simple PCB using the iron on transfer method- but first, I have to wrangle the time to learn a PCB layout program or two.
              Can someone comment on the learning curves of ExpressPCB vs. CadSoft EAGLE Light?
              Thanks.
              Last edited by rjb; 08-05-2015, 05:51 AM.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                And what is the easy work around?
                haven't downloaded the last version, but doubt they changed that "feature" , so here it goes:
                EDIT: the newer version I have does not print the annoying grid dots any more.
                As Homer would say: wooohooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                This is an actual screen capture, I designed a small split supply; 12+12VAC gets on the right connector; +/-16VDC and ground are available on the left one.
                I suggest you start with simple designs such as these , don't bite more than you can chew, once you succesfully finish one, you tackle a little more ambitious one and so on.

Name:	EPCB01.gif
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	839144

This is the copper side only printout:

Name:	EPCB02.gif
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	839145

I'm fixing to get ready to move in the direction of making a small, simple PCB using the iron on transfer method- but first, I have to wrangle the time to learn a PCB layout program or two.
                Can someone comment on the learning curves of ExpressPCB vs. CadSoft EAGLE Light?
                Thanks.
                Start with Express PCB which is exactly the same as drafting a PCB sketch with pencil and eraser ,erase and redraw as many times as you wish until you are happy with the layout, then put actual parts on top of the paper, at least large ones such as filter caps, pots, jacks, so you visualize it the old way .

Then draft the same but using Express PCB, use it as a drawing board which can bve erased , edited and redrawn 1000 times, with no waste of ink and paper.

When you are happy with results, or want to recheck actual size, print it on paper.

I suggest you draw a known length line by the actual tracks, say a 2" line (2000 mils/thousandths of an inch, which is the PCB World scale) , so you check your printed results with a ruler.

Sometimes printers shrink or expand a little.

Never select "expand/shrink to page" but even so some printers require you scale drawings by a few % for perfect fit.

No big deal with resistors and such but ICs are inflexible.

As of Eagle, I hate it.

I've been drawing PCBs for my own use for almost 40 years, since the times of China ink and later black crepe tape, yet never could get it, mainly because I had to "unlearn" the way I knew, they do enough things different as to be very annoying, at least for me.

Now, for a new user, maybe it's not bad, but for me ......

To boot, Eagle free edition allows you very a small PCB, fine for somebody designing some microprocessor project, might do for a pedal ... useless for any Guitar Amp sized Preamp or Power Amp.

In fact I still use (since 1993, go figure) old DOS based Autotrax and Tango PCB, which allow me unlimited components, unlimited holes, boards 31" x 31" ...... how's that?

Plus I have hundreds of designs made with them, many still in production breadwinners.

I keep an XP machine just for them, plus an old Lexmark Laser printer , those old programs have no clue about what USB means.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

This is the copper side only printout:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]35158[/ATTACH]

Start with Express PCB which is exactly the same as drafting a PCB sketch with pencil and eraser
                  That sounds easy enough.
                  One question, though: Does Express PCB allow you to "flow" a ground plane?
                  In other words: Instead of a white background, could you draw a black background with a thin white stripe around the perimeter of each track?
                  You'd use more toner that way- but a lot less etchent.
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Yes, in their own simplified way, which is not bad.
                    Most others let you draw the full PCB first, then hit "flow copper" or similar and the PC thinks and thinks, calculates clearances and free space and pours copper in the design.

EPCB does it another way, substitutes lots of code lines with user input (not bad in my book): you first define a "filled plane" (which I guess might even be the full PCB or most of it) and then you proceed to layout it ... each track you draw will have a little "free space" around
                    Which you can edit, of course, even make it 0 if you want the track touch surrounding copper (a ground track).

Maybe real Pros consider it kid stuff, dunno, but it works and is a good introduction to more complex stuff.

Just download and install it, go through the tutorial a few times, then so something simple as my 16+16V supply , a headphone preamp, etc. ; print it, and go all the way.

Then you will probably have to design some custom components which are not usual for people outside our interests: a PCB jack, a 16 mm pot, a pushbutton switch, chipamps, a noval PCB socket, typical Tube filter caps, etc.
                    No big deal, you measure the actual part, place the proper pads, draw a circle or rectangle showing its outline and then there's a procedure to join those elements together and give them a name, such as "Cliff jack" .

Remember analog Audio , including Guitar stuff is on the way to extinction, many shops don't even carry the parts any more, but have all the latest processors, encoders, etc. , and PCB software reflects that.

Oh well.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Remember analog Audio , including Guitar stuff is on the way to extinction, many shops don't even carry the parts any more, but have all the latest processors, encoders, etc. , and PCB software reflects that.

Oh well.
                      Look on the bright side, if you are old enough you'll be extinct yourself before analog audio is.

BBC news told me today that FM radio is being turned off in a year or two. In future I won't be listening to the beeb in the car then. It's tough being a dinosaur.
                      Last edited by Dave H; 08-13-2015, 11:15 PM.

Comment

please use Circuit wizard. This one is having simple GUI interface and is very easy to use. I recommend this to my Students.
                        Circuit Wizard - Products - New Wave Concepts Limited

Comment

Working...
                        X