Given a half finished amp with some mystery parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given a half finished amp with some mystery parts

So a friend gave me a half finished amp..
    A can of worms for shizz...
    so what I have is..
    2 superlead turret boards, already populated, no connected
    a chassis with a hammond 272jx, a mystery OT, and a smaller hammond transformer with 115v on the primary and 36v on the seconndary, already connected
    a C1999 choke, not connected
    2 100-100-175uf caps, and 2 32-23uf caps all wired up.
    4 Power tubes sockets wired up
    no preamp tube sockets, and no pots.

everything is on a TCM 100w "Tube Top" chassis.

Really I'm trying to figure out what this beast is.
    I assume the OT is from the donor amp, but the PT is only rated for 50-60w amps
    I guess I can make it into a 50w superlead clone, but I need some help on that front.

Will the OT work with a 50w amp build?

I'm cleary in over my head here haha.
    Pics can be posted if needed.

If the OT is a "mystery", I don't think anyone can tell you whether it will work for a 50W build.
    What was the donor amp?
    I think you will need to get more info from your friend as to what it was supposed to become (50W?), and what the OT came out of.

Edit: I guess maybe TCM 100W Tube Top is the donor amp? If it's a 100W OT, then yes you can use it for a 50W build, you will have to re-label the output impedance taps accordingly. The OT primary will see double the impedance, so the OT secondary will have to do likewise.
    Yes, pics will help.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sounds like a good score to me. You might want to start by deciding what you want to build. Do you have a schematic or layout for a TCM 100 tube top? You might even be able to use 6v6GTs if you want less power. I guess it's a JCM800 MV clone according to this guy:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34617

Comment

Well the OT indeed looks like it is from the Donor amp
        As of right now, it looks like I'm going to put a 100w PT in it, from another donor amp, and do a jcm800 build.
        link to pics.. Imgur

Comment

Working...
        X