Aaron C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron C

Hi there I'm new to this forum. I have a Capehart preamp that has a four pin power input lead. Wires are red, black, brown, and red. It has one tube, 6SC7, then it has a red and white in and out RCA leads. I want to hook this up to an Admiral amp Chasis that I have and works well. It has a similar jack to receive a similar Phono preamp plug but pins do not match up. On the amp, only three leads are wired up. On two I get 120 volts AC. The other is just a lead from one of those with a small cap in between. I don't know if my preamp should have AC current ran to it. Is the 6SC7 a recifier tube? I have photos of all of this. I imagine we can post photos on here as well. If there is anyone that can help I need it. Thanks. Aaron C. (919)-961-6688 call any time.

Sorry, I don't know anything about either make but suspect that the power connectors for the Capehart and Admiral are incompatible.
    The 6SC7 isn't a rectifier, rather it's a twin triode. I suspect that 2 wires are 6.3Vac for the 6SC7 heaters, the other 2 are B+ and ground to power the signal circuits.
    Unless it's got a power transformer, the Capehart may not be abe to make any use of the 120Vac line, and might well be damaged by it.
    Whereas the Admiral connector is a 120Vac line power supply and possibly a facility for a switch in the line, eg so that an on/off power switch on the pre-amp could also switch the Admiral on/off.
    A tech may be able to modify them to enable them to work together, but I suspect that you may not have sufficient competence to undertake this yourself, bearing in mind the lethal potential involved.
    Has the Admiral been modified so that it its properly grounded?
    Last edited by pdf64; 08-05-2015, 09:01 AM.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

"I have a Capehart preamp that has a four pin power input lead. Wires are red, black, brown, and red"

Here is a 'basic' tube preamp schematic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12AX7-12AU7-Tube-Preamp-Schematic.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	839147

Ignoring the fact that it utilizes a 12AX7 tube, it can plainly be seen that there are :
      (1) two heater wires
      (2) A B+ & a ground wire.
      (3) A signal output wire.

What I would suggest is that you trace out the preamp & see where the connector wires go.

Here is the 6SC7 pinout diagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6SC7 pinout.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	839148

Pin 8 & 7 are the heater wires.
      Pin 6 is Ground through a resistor.
      Pin 2 & 5 are the plates B+ (high voltage through a resistor).

Comment

Working...
      X