Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOS-european wire

Hi guys!

I found some copper wire for sale here in europe (finally) but it is 0.07 mm (41 AWG).
    Can I use that wire, and will it be much different in sound from 42 AWG?
    Thanks!

I don't think it'll be much different, but it definitely would have a different "flavour". I've built several strat pickups with the same number of turns of 42awg and 43awg wire and the difference was subtle. Some say that 41awg wire gives a "scooped mids" tone but I can't account for that.

Comment

Well it cant be with same number of turns, as resistance will be different, right? I should calculate resistance of "normal" pickup and how much turns are needed so resistance would be same with this wire.

Comment

No, the numbers of turns is what counts. With a wire so thick I think you should just keep winding until the bobbin is full!

Comment

Two things happen when you change wire gauge (like in this case a fatter wire)
          1. The coil will be bigger/wider than a coil with the same number of turns of thinner wire
          2. The resistance will be lower as the Ohm per length unit is lower.

Wider coil will change the sound as will a change in resistance. However Alberto is right in that it is the number of turns that determine the over all output of the pickup, not the resistance.

There is a UK seller that can provide a wide range of magnet wire: wires.co.uk : Enamelled Copper Wire

Comment

Another thing to consider when using 41 gauge wire is if you have enough room on the bobbin to achieve the desired number of turns ,
            Tele bridge pickup yes but i'm not sure if 8000 turns of 41 will fit on a strat bobbin
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by EmaEm1 View Post
              Hi guys!

I found some copper wire for sale here in europe (finally) but it is 0.07 mm (41 AWG).
              Can I use that wire, and will it be much different in sound from 42 AWG?
              Thanks!
              I have been using some French .071 (41AWG) UN180 wire from Nexans on the neck and middles of one model of my Strat pickups for a long time. It sounds very nice, and customers like it. But there isn't really room to use it on the bridge, the way I wind them for that set, so I use 42 HF for the bridges. The bobbins will be pretty full, but you can get up to about 8000 turns of .071 on a stratocaster pickup with the wire I have. I haven't tried it on any humbuckers. I think it would also be good on bass pickups.
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

I did a lot of experimenting with 41 on strat neck pickups.
                When compared to 42HPN, or 42 HFV, I chose the 42 heavy, everytime.
                41 was too big for my liking, but I had lots of other wires to use in place of!
                YMMV,
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Thank you all guys. I am considering now 44 as I want to make stacked humbucker.

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                  Two things happen when you change wire gauge (like in this case a fatter wire)
                  1. The coil will be bigger/wider than a coil with the same number of turns of thinner wire
                  2. The resistance will be lower as the Ohm per length unit is lower.

Wider coil will change the sound as will a change in resistance. However Alberto is right in that it is the number of turns that determine the over all output of the pickup, not the resistance.

There is a UK seller that can provide a wide range of magnet wire: wires.co.uk : Enamelled Copper Wire
                  Do you know any seller form continental Europe, possibly Germany or southeast Europe? Shipments from UK are so high, that even shipments from USA might be better deal.

Comment

EmaEm1 Welcome to the pickup forum. We did a group order for PE 42 AAWG last year and the shipping to Europe of a 5 lb spool was about $45 in postage.

Comment

Thank you all guys. I am considering now 44 as I want to make stacked humbucker.

Do you know any seller form continental Europe, possibly Germany or southeast Europe? Shipments from UK are so high, that even shipments from USA might be better deal.
                      Try these guys

44AWG - ENAMELLED COPPER GUITAR PICKUP WIRE, MAGNET WIRE, COIL WIRE -500G | eBay

Postage is not too bad, and they supply small rolls. Wires.co.uk do good prices on big 6kg rolls. copper is heavy and so is the british postal system. You might get a better deal if they can deliver with courier. Most guitar suppliers in Europe charge ridiculous prices for small quantities of pickup wire. Wires uk get some of their wire from Italy which is a bit nearer to your neck of the woods, might be worth googleing or get in touch with Wizzard pickups.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Thank you guys for all information.

Meanwhile, I found this site:

Kupferlackdraht - Sauter-Transformatoren

They sell enamelled wire, 63€ for one kg., 20€ for 250g (0.05mm, or 44 awg) and 50€ for kg of 0.07mm (41 awg), I suppose free shipment to Germany.

Seems I will choose this option.

P.S. Magnet supplier?

Comment

Thank you guys for all information.

Meanwhile, I found this site:

Kupferlackdraht - Sauter-Transformatoren

They sell enamelled wire, 63€ for one kg., 20€ for 250g (0.05mm, or 44 awg) and 50€ for kg of 0.07mm (41 awg), I suppose free shipment to Germany.

Seems I will choose this option.

P.S. Magnet supplier?
                          6.45 euros dhl post in De.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                          X