Conductive Fibre Eyelet Board? Vintage Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conductive Fibre Eyelet Board? Vintage Fender

I have a 1971 Super Reverb. It has the fibre eyelet board. My understanding is over time these boards can become conductive.
    I hooked up my DMM to the amp when live, and took several DC Voltage readings at various locations on the board. I touched the
    red probe to the fibre board only, other lead to mains ground. I got readings approaching 400 mV at most locations. Is this
    considered excessive or acceptable?
    The amp is quiet. The only symptom is the slower ramp up time when engaging vibrato. I have rebuilt the vibrato circuit completely
    in an effort to fix. I realize its not ideal, but thought I'd try anyway. I'm not even sure a conductive board could cause a slight delay
    in vibrato engagement. Just thought I'd check the board and report my findings.
    Thanks, Keith

I have lived in this particular brand of hell while building a Deluxe Reverb with new black fibre board. I did some tests and found the voltages I could read directly on the board would change very clearly with humidity. It rained for three days, and the voltages climbed to quite a bit higher than you are seeing. In my case it was causing odd problems with the build, scratchy pots mostly and did sound as good as it should have. If your Super Reverb is not showing any odd behavior, other than your slow trem circuit (which I doubt is related) then I would not be concerned with less than half a volt on the board. Because the alternative is rebuilding it on a glass type turret board, and you don't want to go there.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t39278/

Might be of some use in the future...

Justin

Edit: maybe here too... http://music-electronics-forum.com/t33298/
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Touch both probes to the chassis. What is the reading? You can subtract that amount from your 400mV. If 400mV is the already defaulted reading then it could certainly cause problems with preamp tube bias IF the cathode to grid relationship is skewed. Since you get this reading on the entire board I'll guess that you're fine and the trem issue if just a trem issue. Incidentally... If you want to complain about ramp up time you should try a bias wiggle trem! there bound to be a stabilization time between not conducting and conducting for any circuit though.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X