New Winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Winder

Wanted to share new winder setup that's been a couple weeks in the works and about which I was asking questions here about speed control options for a DC motor. So...here it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150812_123901.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	869833

It's a Penpal pen making lathe. Variable speed motor with a no-load rpm of 4k.

Name:	IMG_20150812_123909.jpg
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	869834

On the left side I wired in a dpdt switch to reverse the motor rotation. The stereo jack is wired to the internal control pot and connects via any old cable to a gutted wah pedal so the speed is fully foot controllable.

And here's my favorite part. This is a straight Fred Stuart idea rip-off but is really as good as it gets for all the obvious reasons.

Name:	IMG_20150812_123852.jpg
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	869835

The counter is wired to an optical sensor that's triggered by one of those clear cd's that come on the top and bottom of cdr/dvdrs packages. Enlarge the hole and tape one half of it with black tape. It counts turns accurately at whatever speed the motor is turning with everything assembled.

Next step is to get someone who does CNC work to make a set of acrylic discs for me that are more precise than what I could do with a hand router. But, even with just a hand router, this is an awesome setup.
    Last edited by jrdamien; 08-12-2015, 05:56 PM.
Working...
X