Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Switching Pedalboard

Hello all,

I'm gathering some ideas together for my effects switching system I'm beginning to design for my live rig. I want to avoid going the MIDI route, as I don't need to program multiple effects. Just a simple on and off.

Essentially I just will have a board on the floor-with 5/6 switches for each effect. And using a high quality multi-conductor cable to my rack where my pedals will be located. So, I've looked at RG's wonderful information on CMOS switching, and other ideas, but am wondering if I even need to go to that extreme. I was thinking of making a separate box to go in my rack, and each effect going into it. Like a looper, so the ins/outs of each effect will go into that, and have a relay to control if it goes in the signal path or not.

My bass will also be plugged into my switching unit away from my rack so I only will be using the one multi conductor cable going back to my amp.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with this? Is there any better route to go to?

A great many effects pedals use electronic switching that lends itself nicely to what I show in this video. Where the pedal is engaged/bypassed via a simple momentary switch, there is no reason why that switch can't be paralleled and located somewhere else other than where the pedal is. Just how far away would, I suppose, be up to the characteristics of the e-switching subcircuit used in the pedal. Some may be more tolerant of the few ohms of cable resistance added by a remote cable than others. Naturally, the less resistance is provided by the cable linking the pedal to the remote switch, the better.

Of course, when it comes to remote switching true-bypass pedals, I leave that up to you. But enough people own and use major manufacturer FET-switched pedals, that I figure this proposed remote switching can work out for part of their rig; letting them put the pedals where they need to be, and the switches where they need to be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszB3pAGrdw

Comment

Working...
    X