Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I tell the different primary wires in a power tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slidincharlie (Carlo P) View Post
    Do you mean from the power switch lug where the black wire is hooked? It carries the mains voltage (around 225 Vac). Should I read between it and each of the 'purple' wires?
    Right. For our purposes the brown and blue wires are both 'hot' and should be treated with respect. So with the power switch on, there is 225vac across the black wire to the PT (it is black, as pictured?) and the selector switch, where the one purple wire connects.

keeping the common probe of your meter on the black wire, each purple wire will read out a different voltage, and will allow you to ID each tap's purpose. The voltages will all read low (assuming the tap connected is 240vac), but they will all be relative to one another.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

What he said.

Here is a better layout drawing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SF%20Vibrolux%20power%20supply.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	839319

Comment

I found the export transformer wiring on a Custom Vibrolux schematic.
        Part# 049180.

Custom_Vibrolux_Export Transformer 049180.zip

If the transformers are the same: (sans wire colors)

In this case:
        For 240Vac operation:
        The Black wire goes to the mains (CP8)
        Wht/Blk is unterminated.

For 230Vac operation:
        The Black wire is unterminated.
        The Wht/Black wire goes to the mains (CP8).

Aside: What are you trying accomplish?
        Lower Vdc, B+?

Is this the same Vibrolux that you had power issues with in 2009?

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
          keeping the common probe of your meter on the black wire, each purple wire will read out a different voltage, and will allow you to ID each tap's purpose. The voltages will all read low (assuming the tap connected is 240vac), but they will all be relative to one another.
          I got it at last!
          With the 240V primary tied to the selector, I have the following readings (I add the colour of each primary as an aid to other amp owners in a similar trouble):
          white: 93 V
          orange/black: 111 V
          white/black: 118 V
          yellow/black: 205 V
          red/black: 242 V.
          The '240V' primary is green/black.
          To make things a bit more complicated: wall sockets in Italy are not polarized, thus it does not matter how you insert the plug. For this reason, depending on random plugging, the brown and blue wires are randomly hot or neutral... when I saw Jazz P Bass's drawing (thank you!) I was wondering if I had a problem with the power cable hookup!
          Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            Aside: What are you trying accomplish?
            Lower Vdc, B+?
            Is this the same Vibrolux that you had power issues with in 2009?
            Wow, what a huge memory! Yes, that's it.
            I just thought that it might be more correct to use the voltage selection closest to actual mains voltage.
            But I need to go back to that old thread and to my block notes to take the correct decision.
            I don't want to hijack this thread now... I will probably open a new one.
            Thanks everybody for the help - precious as always.
            Carlo Pipitone

Comment

so good at last! If your wall voltage is closer to 220VAC than to 240VAC - especially if it hovers near 225vac normally - then the yellow/black wire (220vac nominal) would be a good choice. Of course, now that the voltages are 'dicovered', hooking them all up to the selector switch is probably what you intend to do anyway
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
              X