Peavey VTM 60 Clean Channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VTM 60 Clean Channel?

Just finished restoring a VTM 60 chassis. With a 1khz signal (200mV) into the amp I see a nice clean sinewave at V1 to V3 and at V4 the signal looks like a square wave with rounded edges all tone controls about the 12 o'clock position with presence at 10. Also assume that the "response modification" switches are off in the "up" position - that's where the switches are during this measurement. I haven't plugged in a guitar yet........I was expecting to get a pretty good sine waveform but not sure what the mod switches do even when assumed off.

Look at the schematic.

The little switch unit should say ON or OFF right on it to indicate. And the panel names them.

Switch functions when ON:
    Switches 1 and 2 add in a parallel cathode resistor or a bypass cap for V1b, affecting stage gain.
    Switch 3 adds some clipper diodes across the input to the tone stack.
    Switches 4 and 5 add in extra bypass caps for the cathode of V1a, affecting stage gain and low end response.
    Switch 6 puts a cap in parallel with the tone stack treble cap for a mids boost.
    Switches 7 and 8 add parallel caps to the presence cap to alter highs.

The owner manual from the Peavey web site has a reasonable explanation.
    http://assets.peavey.com/literature/...s/80300704.pdf

This is a guitar amp, and I would not expect a clean sine wave through it. I am surprised it is clean all the way to the phase inverter as it is.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Being a guitar amp, there are switches and parameter adjustments designed to intentionally get the amp into distortion. So the amp panel controls must be SET UP for a clean tone IN ORDER TO GET a clean tone. This requires a familiarity with the nature of modern guitar amps.

Sorry, I don't know what position is on or off for the DIP switches. Peavey IS a US company, and in the US we usually use "UP" as "ON".

Also, 200mV is a large signal. Maybe try the experiment again with 100mV
      Last edited by Chuck H; 08-31-2015, 02:13 PM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Agree and add: I bet the squarewave signal is about 60V RMS or thereabouts, I'm talking at the plate of course; after driving a tone control it will be attenuated.

And as Enzo said, the idea behind a tube amp is to distort, isn't it ?
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
        X