5V4 instead of 5Y3 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I concur.
    I have 12ay7's in all my V1 & on some V2 & V3 as well. I don't know if the current production ones are any good though.

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jammin'John View Post
      I concur.
      I have 12ay7's in all my V1 & on some V2 & V3 as well. I don't know if the current production ones are any good though.

JJ
      I didn't know there were "current production ones". If there are, that's good news for people that need them. If not great for people that want them I use ax7's because I'm a high gainer much of the time, with the clean tone being secondary. For those special occasions I have two vintage ay7's left with low hours on them. Not sure what NOS cost. I expect it could go up and up with current trends toward using vintage correct tube specs in amps.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I didn't know there were "current production ones". If there are, that's good news for people that need them. If not great for people that want them
        12AY7 ElectroHarmonix, available over the last 15 years or so. I've tried these and NOS GE & other brands, sure they have lower gain but all the ones I've encountered old & new have some other problems, lots o' hiss, clanking noises etc. Had to select "best of lot" for use in some mic preamps. A good JJ 12AX7 is quieter. In fact they now have "low gain" JJ AX's but the spec sheet shows a mu of 100, what's low gain about that?
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Well, I do have a couple old 12AY7 in my spare parts box
          Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Working...
          X