No announcement yet.

Fishing Reel Auto-Traverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll check that out if this set doesn't hold. Do you think wicking some thin CA between the gear and plexi would lock it in place?

I spent the rest of my time in the shop today cleaning, so I didn't give another coil a try. To the eye, it looked pretty damn true, and I expect the next coil to be much less parallelogram-y.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
      I'll check that out if this set doesn't hold. Do you think wicking some thin CA between the gear and plexi would lock it in place?

I spent the rest of my time in the shop today cleaning, so I didn't give another coil a try. To the eye, it looked pretty damn true, and I expect the next coil to be much less parallelogram-y.
      I don't know that CA would bond to the plexi. Not sure you really want to make the mount permanent in any event.

You may find that you want to put plots in the face for mounting bobbins where the magnets stick out the top of a bobbin so you can screw the bobbin to the face plate. Mounting bobbins bottom to the faceplate with be off true by any perfectionist in the bottom surface as well as by the height of any eyelets.

You may also want to have a couple styles of plates such as for mounting humbucker bobbins to the faceplate with screws in which case you would have a number of different screw spreads drilled and or drilled and tapped. Others may not agree, but it prefer the bobbin mounting done with screws vs tape. Also with screws you can have a retainer bar on the other side of the mounted bobbin to help reduce any opportunity for flairing. Mounting with screws on machined plates also mounts them dead centre on the faceplate. The mount plate drawing for the CNCDudez unit is a pretty nice design if you ere to add slots to accommodate bobbins like Strat's, Tele', J-Basses, etc. I'm sure others have different opinions and mounting techniques.

Just some thoughts.
      Last edited by kayakerca; 11-08-2015, 12:31 PM.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

CA will bond with plexi, but I was thinking more along the lines of filling the tiny gaps with CA to make it more rigid. If I ever wanted to remove the disc, it would snap right off the metal.

I admit that I use double-stick tape to hold the bobbins, which probably muddies up my accuracy after all this work to true the platen. But for my uses, it works, as I'm probably just as likely to wind standard, manufactured bobbins as I am to build custom bobbins. Out of the 4 pickup sets I've wound (yes, only 16 coils), two sets were made from scratch, and I want to experiment more with some laminated transformer steel I have. It could be easily drilled out for screw-on attachment later, though.

Comment

Working...
        X