No announcement yet.

Why so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many SS amps are now built using integrated power amp modules. They're really cheap, powerful, pretty reliable and flexible in what can be achieved. This would be my preferred choice nowadays. Take a look at the JLM audio shop for an example. JLM Audio Shop

You can use this type of approach along with a simple tone-shaping preamp. You also need a power supply. All of this is well within the scope of someone who's a novice at electronics. You need care, patience and reasonable soldering skills.

You can't compete with Far Eastern economics when it comes to ready-made equipment, but the tradeoff is you end up with something you built yourself.

Comment

whoa those JLM Audio Shop amp kits are very intriguing. Has anybody here built one?

I saw this

Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

and really like the simplicity. But does this amp that brags about 60 watts really have that kind of loudness? WHen my 60 watt amp was working properly it would blast.

I assume from this :

http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLMAMP.jpg

that I would need a audio transformer to accept the 1/4" unbalance input from my pedals?

..so much to think about

Comment

The write-up says balanced or unbalanced in, so you would not need an input transformer, just different points to wire to 1/4 inch jack.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I couldn't find a spec on input level for that thing. I'm wondering if you might need to add a gain stage for guitar. I'm wondering if it expects line level input?

Or,....are we talking about using this only for the "back end" of an amp with a preamp built in front of it?
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The spec sheet for the device gives 1v max. I woud put a simple preamp in front of it with bass and treble controls. Maybe a Baxandall control plus level boost, based on a single dual op-amp (TL072 maybe).

Comment

Working...
            X