No fun whatsoever with computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fun whatsoever with computers

So I have an offbrand (Hannspree) 10" Android tablet that I bought probably around 12-15 months ago. It came with a bunch of things I wanted, front and rear cameras, 1gig of RAM, 16G of internal SD, HDMI out, and a microSD slot that I have a 32G unit in. At $100Cdn, I was happy with what I got for my money. I use it primarily for checking forums, looking at schematics, and playing Mah Jongg, and don't have much interest in using it for more than that (I think I watched one Netflix documentary, maybe 2).

About a month or two back, it started behaving erratically. I would suddenly find that all my browser bookmarks had vanished, and that it would tell me it could not read the external SD card when I was looking at a file, read from the card. A month ago, it began resetting spontaneously, and I would lose all my apps, and had to reinstall them.

This past weekend, things came to a head and it now tells me that I have no internal SD storage. 16G gone poof. It still runs fine, however. I've reinstalled all my usual preferred apps, and they still run. It saves my Mah Jongg high scores, and all the built-in apps run fine.

BUT

Anything that would have been stored on the internal SD by default, now has nowhere to go. I have functioning cameras, but the camera pics, and screenshots have nowhere to go. Neither do any downloadable documents. I can read all the stored PDFs I have on my lug-in microSD flashdrive, but should I find another on-line, it can't go anywhere. I've called up every conceivable system function, in an effort to simply redirect files to the microSD, but to no avail. Maybe Android can be tinkered with to do that, but I don't know how.

I know that flash memory has a limited lifespan, in terms of read/write cycles, but I can't believe that it would have exhausted that lifespan in the space of a year. Is this normal or aberrant?

I'd attribute it to poor Tablet construction.
    I have old 256mB Flash cards , I think 2007 vintage, which I used with a Canon camera, which are still happily being read and written using an adapter .
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

A couple of things come to mind. First, if you go to settings, general, and then app manager, you can click each app. Some apps have an option to store to external SD. There might also be such an option within the app itself. For instance if you open the camera app and go to settings, there may be a storage option. Another thought is to find an app that redirects files like this one maybe?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rosadanicolasoft.fotoandfileredirect&hl=en

I must add that I haven't tried any of these ideas. More or less thinking "out loud". I have no experience with the app listed above. I just posted it as an example. The point is that there may be an app available to achieve your goal.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

SD cards, and USB Sticks are basically very good and reuseable.
        I use SD cards on my Trail Cameras, and they get plugged and removed and rewritten a lot.
        The only trouble with SD cards are physical.
        I've had the plastic housings literally fall a part, but if You can get them to plug in straight, they still work.
        USB Sticks, or also called Flash Drives, are also very durable.
        With them to, the limitations have been physical.
        I've killed a couple by accidently bending them over.
        I download and write Linux Distributions on USB Sticks constantly, and they just keep on working.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Well that's just it. I have USB sticks that have been well-used and even through the laundry a couple of times over a 4 year period, and they are still rockin'. I was expecting more use out of it than I got.

Dude, I will try that app, and also try out the redirect options you mentioned. I figure there has to be something that does what I need it to do.

Comment

Woo-hoo! Back in business! Thanks for the tips, guys!

Comment

Glad you got it, but what did you do? My curiosity light is flashing bright red.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I wish I could remember. I looked under Settings and App Manager but the needed options were not to be found. I guess every little wrinkle of Android on every machine is a little different. Not C/PM-different, but things are not always where you expect them to be.

In any event, I seem to recall some sub-menu in a File Manager app I had installed had an App Manager option crop up, and I was able to somehow indicate that I wanted something on the internal SDcard. And magically, subdirectories started to reappear on my internal storage.

From this vantage point, it would appear something was corrupted, either because I had confused the machine/OS or because something external had deliberately corrupted a file. But all is well again.

Comment

Well, the epilogue would seem to be that something IS toasted electronically. I have had to wipe the SD card and do a factory reset several times. Despite doing a complete reset, it now tells me I have no camera or accelerometer, and something called the UID is unavailable or incorrect.

I guess it's off to buy a fourth tablet. Sigh.
                  Last edited by Mark Hammer; 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X