Quick and awesome upgrade to Peavey Classic VTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick and awesome upgrade to Peavey Classic VTX

So I picked up a Classic VTX 2x12 a few weeks ago in excellent condition for $150. Still had the original tubes! It had been in the shop about three years before and looks like all the transistors and caps have been replaced (with correct parts) so she is good to go. Everything else totally stock. I played one back in high school in the early 80s and always wanted to get another one.

After reading some stuff on the net, I decided I wanted to try some opamp options in the first two spots .. replacing the original 4558s in the preamp slots (U1 and U2) Last night I did a shootout between the NE5532P and the OPA2134PA.

Tried the OPA2134PA first. Seemed a little cleaner than the 4558. Overdrive less buzzy but still a lot of midrange 'honk'. The clean channel broke up a little when driven with a humbucker. Overall a slight improvement to the original chips.

Then the NE5532P. WOW! On the clean channel with a Tele, it was like someone swapped the VTX with a Twin. Glassy, shiny, HUGE sound. Tons of spank from the Tele. Very Fenderish blackface cleans. The EQ was more reactive and balanced as well. Overdrive channel was smoother .. Saturation still pretty useless past 3-4. I did notice that the clean channel had a slight bit of hair on it unless I back the guitar down .. so there is a loss of headroom. When I kicked in a subtle phase .. I could not stop smiling.

I put the OPA2134PAs back in just to confirm and sure enough, the huge soundstage was gone .. no more shimmer.

Back to the NE5532Ps and tried my pedals (Zen drive, Timmy, Keeley modded Blues Driver) .. great tones! Punchy, warm, very Dumble-y when dialed in right.

Finished things off with a new set of JJ 6L6GC tubes I had. Honestly did not hear must difference between them and the 30 year old Peavey orignals. I have read that the biasing method in the VTX squeezes every bit of life possible out of the tubes .. and I believe it.

So there you go. A $2 mod ($7 total with shipping) that took a really good amp and turned it to an AMAZING one. Here is a link to the chips (you will need two of them) ..

NE5532P Texas Instruments | Mouser

I know that Peavey used the 4558 in a bunch of amps .. and I have no idea if it will make as much of a difference in other circuits, but for $1 a piece, it might be worth experimenting.

Enjoy!

It would be best if you keep things in context.

That 4558 that was in the amp since new is Not the same opamp as is currently manufactured.

So if you have a current 4558 laying around, try that too.
    Apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      It would be best if you keep things in context.

That 4558 that was in the amp since new is Not the same opamp as is currently manufactured.

So if you have a current 4558 laying around, try that too.
      Apples to apples.
      A quick search around the net shows that even a modern 4558 is still considered a pretty crappy opamp.

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb9999 View Post
        A quick search around the net shows that even a modern 4558 is still considered a pretty crappy opamp.
        Why don't you record the output of for all three versions so we can all listen to this astounding improvement? Maybe we could even set up an ABX test?
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb9999 View Post
          And yet, isn't that the chip that makes the Tube Screamer scream?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
            And yet, isn't that the chip that makes the Tube Screamer scream?
            According to the golden ears, only certain versions of 4558 have "the essential funk." IIRC JRC was the manufacturer and like fine vintage wines, only the ones made between this date and that. Those with the time and patience may compare & contrast & make their conclusions & spread the "knowledge". Still comes down to, they all sound more or less the same and the players' brain-fingers connection outweighs other considerations. Some have a hard time accepting that but try as they might they never do morph into Jimi Ray Clampton-Paige do they.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Might as well test the 4580, which is the current favorite in circuits where 4558 used to be. Designer favorite, not amp fan favorite.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Some have a hard time accepting that but try as they might they never do morph into Jimi Ray Clampton-Paige do they.
                I did.

Comment

Working...
                X