voltage rating for electrolytic caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voltage rating for electrolytic caps?

As I was reading up about mF values with regards to electrolytic bypass caps I came across a statement in the Dan Torres book. He states that you should select a cap voltage rating to be near it's operating range because they act differently when over spec'd.

I used some Sprague 25mF 50vDC caps last month on my Deluxe Reverb's cap job. I'm not saying I feel compelled to swap them out, but in the future would you recomend that I stick with the original 25vDC spec?

I'm about to do a cap job on a DIY champ clone and I'm ordering power supply filter caps. Would you use the extra 25mF 50vDC caps I have on hand for the cathode bypass or wold you order some 25vDc caps?

thanks,
    mike

Wow. I for one would not hesitate to use 50 volt caps. But for that matter, why chose 25v when 6v caps would be plenty. After all the cathode sits at about a volt or so.

I buy 25/25 axial for this purpose. I don't stock 50 volters, so I don't have your dilemma. I tend to have low voltage and then some in the 160-200v range for video monitors. Radial leads I do stock a variety of voltages.

Refer back to the 22 versis 25 discussion. I think any little difference between the sound of 25v and 50v versions OF THE SAME CAP, would be far less than the difference in the two values.

I'd be willing to bet that if Torres tried 25v SPragues and 50v Nichicons or some other different types, then he MIGHT hear some small difference. But the difference would be in the materials and construction of the two brands moreso than the voltage rating.

But that is just my opinion.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you Enzo,
      I'm not trying to stir anything up. I appeciate your candor.

I'm just a self-uneducated diy hobbyist trying to resume the craft after a long hiatus. I have a nice library of guitar amp tech books and have been rereading them lately. It's nice that this time around I'm finally understanding a few things, but I still barely understand others.

I spent this evening reading the RCA tube manual.

thanks again,
      mike

Comment

Working...
      X