Hammond M-100 organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond M-100 organ

Hi..I have been hounded to take a look at this organ as I just fixed a Wurltizer C-300 for this person....I don;t have any info on this..it has two motors...and two switches....one for start and one for run...which have to be turned on in a specific order with a certain delay between the turn on of each one...anyway, it powers up and runs the main motor which drives the main shaft that goes through the tone generator assy....on the other end there is another smaller motor which resembles the motor one would find in an old turntable...when power is applied to this motor it will run and the motor amature is pulled forward and this has a toothed gear assy which mates with another gear on the main shaft of the tone generator....it doesn't seem to be energizing completely.....

Anyway, searched the net for some sort of manual but came up empty..there are some short videos on you tube but it just covers basic maintenance such as oiling and wick replacement and other basic housekeeping items but nothing about what this motor's function is......anybody got any info or know of where I can get some documentation??? Maybe somebody here on the forum worked on Hammonds before......Somehow I have a feeling that I will be seeing more vintage organs as they can't find anybody who is even willing to look at the equipment..... and most of this stuff is vacuum tube or early solid state...and is probably 50 years old or older....
    Cheers

Ok...Had another look on google and found the manual....109 pages...so I guess I will be doing a lot of reading over the weekend....but if anybody has any info....fire away.......
    Last edited by bsco; 10-11-2015, 10:24 PM.

Try here:
    Captain Foldback's Hammond and Leslie Page!
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Quote:"it doesn't seem to be energizing completely....."

What is not 'energizing' completely?

The motor?

If the motor, I would look at the load that it is trying to drive.

Comment

All Hammond tone wheel organs have two motors. One is a motor that runs at a very precise speed that keeps the tuning stable. This motor will not start on it's own when powered on. So the second motor is there to start the entire mechanism turning and then the first motor is turned on to keep it running.

The start switch is a momentary one that will shut off once it is let go of, the run switch is a standard maintained contact type. To start the organ, turn on and hold the start switch for a few seconds while the mechanism starts to spin up to speed. Listen to the sound of the generator as is revs up to speed. Once it stabilizes, turn on the run switch and let go of the start switch. The generator should continue to run at a steady rate. Normally it will be a little slower than when the start motor is turning it.

If the run motor will not keep the generator running, then run motor may need overhauling or the generator itself may need to be overhauled. If the organ has not been correctly oiled for extended periods of time or if the generator has been subjected to water damage it may need to be rebuilt.

Comment

Thanks guys...I found a service manual on line after and have spent some time reading it....the smaller motor I was referring to was indeed the start motor....The larger one is the run motor and that also has the vibrato scanner assy....as you mentioned 52 Bill, I think this organ has been in storage for a long time and I don't know when it was running...The guy who has it now, has managed to get the mechanics freed up and it did work for awhile but now it has problems and it could be related to the start motor or it's supporting circuity......I will have to check it out.....Thanks for that link g1....I'll check it out....This is going to be a bit different from what I am used to......another learning experience for sure.........

Comment

only place to go is the hamtech website.... sign up for all your wheelhead needs...captain foldback is a member.... they can direct you or link you to all Hammond manuals including service manuals....check with Geoff, Murph, John Doyle for great help as well as info from around the world... every hook up kit....every leslie, every hammond.... guys that worked on keith emersons stuff, jimmy smiths, jimmy mcgriffs, jon lords....you get the idea...been a member for years... tell em uboat sent ya

frankie uboat

Comment

Originally posted by uboat229 View Post
              only place to go is the hamtech website.... sign up for all your wheelhead needs...captain foldback is a member.... they can direct you or link you to all Hammond manuals including service manuals....check with Geoff, Murph, John Doyle for great help as well as info from around the world... every hook up kit....every leslie, every hammond.... guys that worked on keith emersons stuff, jimmy smiths, jimmy mcgriffs, jon lords....you get the idea...been a member for years... tell em uboat sent ya

frankie uboat
              Thanks guy...I will most definately check that out....

Comment

Hi uboat...I tried to join up at the site.....and I tried to email the admin.....can't get into the mail screen......I can access the links on the side but can't get to join up....I will have to try later...
                Cheers

Comment

before you get on the email list you will have to jump through some hoops....as i remeber a signup.... then admin emails ya..... then you start getting emails and can reply to them

good luck

Frank

Comment

before you get on the email list you will have to jump through some hoops....as i remeber a signup.... then admin emails ya..... then you start getting emails and can reply to them

good luck

Frank
                    I couldn't find a place to sign up.....I will have to check it again......
                    Cheers

Comment

I'll have to check it out, I have a number of Leslie "kits" I want to unload. The kit is the interface that goes in the organ, plus the big cable. The cables alone are valuable. Plus I have a couple Leslie Chrome stomp switch boxes.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

good luck

Frank
                        Ok. I had to copy and paste the email address into my yahoo email account and in the body of the email I had to type "subscribe hamtech" after that, I got an automated reply telling me that my email request would be reviewed by the list owner.....So now, I just have to wait and see what happens....
                        Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X