Pcb software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pcb software

I would like to learn how to create my own pcbs. Are there any easy to use programs that you can recommend to start off with?

Thanks

It depends a lot on how far you intend to go.
    The easiest one (which I recommend anyway just to get your feet wet) is useful only for very basic designs, such as simple pedals , Fuzz, Wah , distortion , earphone amp , active guitar electronics , etc.)
    That said it's very useful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C914Ig8oOOI
    DIYLayout Creator, good for PCBs, Stripboard (Vero) and even perfboard.:
    Software > DIY Layout Creator : DIY Fever ? Building my own guitars, amps and pedals
    Warning: there's 3 versions.
    V1 is Windows only but is the most stable, and the most popular, there's tons of user contributed projects, discussion groups, etc.
    V2 is Java based "so it can run anywhere" ... never worked well but worst is it's not compatible with popular V1 designs, so ......
    V3 *claims* to both be Java based and V1 conmpatible.
    Still in development, I'll believe it when I see it, so if possible go for V1 .

Most popular, mainly because it's a real Pro software , is Eagle.
    Personally I HATE it and I have been designing PCBs for almost 40 years.
    Looooong learning curve, mainly time wasted cursing them "why the h*ck do they things this way and not that way"? .
    Of course, those who never ever learnt another system are fine, don't find it weird and counterintuitive.
    Oh well.
    For me the main problem is that the free version is limited to a tiny PCB size called "Half Eurocard", perfect for microprocessor of the day projects, Robot controllers and such.
    To draw a 6 knob preamp or a discrete (non chipamp) power amp?
    Forget it, it won't fit.
    So you'll find the digitheads love and recommend it, but the Music Electronics people can't use it (except maybe for a footswitch, active guitar electronics or a small but very complex digital pedal).

For a step beyond DIYLyC , try Express PCB

Very simple and straightforward, you first draw the schematic, then "export" it to the PCB package, all parts appear unconnected but when you click on any pin, all which need to be connected to it turn blue, as a visual cue.
    Not an autorouter (which never work as promised anyway) but a very useful help for you to route it.
    Or you may straight design the PCB layout on a piece of paper and redraw that in a neat way using just the PCB drawing module, no previous schematic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smCwlGIxXho

The catch is that *if* you have to order PCBs you must do so from them, nobody else understands their coding, but for home making, no big deal.
    Last edited by J M Fahey; 10-13-2015, 02:13 PM.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks! Il only be trying my hand at some basic pedal designs to start off so il go with your first recommendation.

Comment

Good
        When you feel comfortable with it, consider posting a couple of your projects here, even if uncased, will help others with the same doubts

Lots of microprocessor, Arduino, PIC type projects out there, not many Guitar related, besides the 2 or 3 Pedal Forums which typically offer a finished iron transfer PCB or a perfboard design but don't show how they got to it.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I made a little bazz fuzz circuit which is cool so I'd like to box that up as my first attempt. Maybe I could upload a quick vid of how it sounds. I was thinking once you master etching pcbs it'd be a lot easier to work with than perf board etc.

Comment

I would recommend the OrCAD.
            Professional, very friendly, quite simple.

Resulting "gerber" files are acceptable by all PCB manufacturers.

I personally use it during many years.

Comment

Thx doc il check it out

Comment

Diptrace works well for me!

Comment

I've used Eagle quite a bit, but for straightforward boards I use the early version of DIYLC and have produced most of the boards for my modular synth with this product, and also use it for most stompoxes. It produces printer-ready files which are ideal for toner-transfer masking. I etch my own boards but if you're intending to send the file for commercial etching/drilling you need to use something compatible. There are a few companies that supply a packaged design product with inbuilt pricing for single/small quantities.

Were you intending to etch your own boards?

Here's a typical pedal I did with DIYLC and toner-transfer;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter Pedal (Large).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	839901
                  Last edited by Mick Bailey; 10-24-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I like KiCad (KiCad EDA). FOSS, and there's a good users' group at Yahoo!.

Comment

Working...
                    X