Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Valve King 112 Reverb cutting out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Valve King 112 Reverb cutting out.

Hello, will explain some back story and will come back after i try something to fix the issue.

The original problem with this amp was a constant click at very low frequency, 1Hz'ish.
    D118* diode was shorted which is at the output of the Reverb driver opamp, U101.
    This caused the chip to heat up as it was driving near zero ohms and somehow cause that click in the amp.

After that I accidentally plugged the low voltage (orange transformer wires) supply wires one in the bias and one in the low voltage (1AM amp repair, wasn't to sharp)
    This caused D206 to blow, somehow Q103 and D104 so channel switching stopped working if the Gain Boost was engaged. Anyways, replaced the bad parts and amps been rocking. The reverb started acting intermittent, i resoldered the reverb connector pins and it seemed to work fine. However, while testing before that it appeared that a low signal was coming from the output of pin 1 on U101 that drives the reverb until you really dug into the strings, this was viewable on my oscilloscope. The issue did go away somehow. I am just going to swap out the opamp and continue testing. Pin 3 does have the average of +7 volts applied to it and will try to monitor it on the bench to see that my signal is stable going into pin 3 and coming out of pin 1. Another note, that opamp really clips the output while driving the reverb, not enough headroom voltage! They should have used transistors to drive it and upped the voltage.

Also, the return from the reverb pan works fine, Kick the amp around and it chimes through great. Just turned the amp on after having it off for a bit and the reverb is back to normal...

*EDIT
    No luck, iv got to play though the amp out of the cabinet an on the bench to diagnose this issue. BTW, i did the R100 jumper mod and it really turned this amp into a gem. Think Steve Via mixed with VanHalen.
    Last edited by vertamps; 10-16-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

*Solution: I think i have determined that the issue is the physical reverb tank being faulty and intermittent on the input.
      The reverb driver op-amp's gain is reduced when R129 is in parallel with the tanks input transformer causing amplification from the division of voltage/frequencies from the low-pass filter of R134 and C125. If you unplug the reverb rca input cable you can see the opamp gain shoot up from 22k/470ohms and the circuit works fine. So far an intermittent tank is my diagnosis. Im pretty sure D118 wouldn't hit its peak reverse bias of 75v, although why was it blown in the first place when i bought the amp? Click image for larger version

Name:	PeaveyVKReverb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	839851

Comment

Working...
      X