Toroidal Transformer Malady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toroidal Transformer Malady

Four shorted toroidal power transformers this week. I hardy ever see failures in standard ones.

What is your experience? Are all the squeezed together wires in the centre a weakness?
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

And there are people who have won multi-million dollar lotteries twice. I am not aware of a large percentage of toroids failing, so I have to think you just coincidentally had several at once instead of spread over years. I have remarked at times past that I never saw a particular piece of equipment for years and years, and then I get three of them within a month. I hardly ever see failures in EI transformer, and I rarely see failed toroids.

Was that the ONLY thing wrong with these four amps?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      And there are people who have won multi-million dollar lotteries twice. I am not aware of a large percentage of toroids failing, so I have to think you just coincidentally had several at once instead of spread over years. I have remarked at times past that I never saw a particular piece of equipment for years and years, and then I get three of them within a month. I hardly ever see failures in EI transformer, and I rarely see failed toroids.
      Yes. It is probably just one of those things. Does this mean that this week is a good one to try the lottery then?

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Was that the ONLY thing wrong with these four amps?
      Yes for two. Don't know about the of the others yet, but since they both had the two 115v primaries shorted to each other I'm not expecting anything else.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
      X