Computer ISP Speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer ISP Speed?

Curious what your internet download speed is.
    I currently have a DSL 3mbps service.
    My DSL is going away, and I will be changing my Internet only to Uverse.
    I could get the 3mbps, or for + $5 I can upgrade to 6mbps.
    So I am going for the 6mbps.
    I just tested my 3mbps DSL, and it shows to only be 2.56mbps.
    To test your speed just go to this site.
    speedtest.net
    It will show what your ISP is capable of?
    Let us know what you have in your part of the world?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Were in the boonies, so this is fast for what's available here, but it's 1.1Mbps down, .4Mbps up. From wireless tower.
    Data cap is 25G per month., with overage fees.
    Cost is about $50/mo CDN (approx. 38USD).
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Curious what your internet download speed is.
      It varies a lot. It was about 4mbps the other day and dropping out so I compained. It just measured 10mbps on speedtest.net. Perhaps they have fixed it?

Comment

48mbps @ $39.99/month
        Attached Files
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Mine is Cox.net in Phoenix AZ. Just measured 26.46mbps download and 6.73mbps upload speeds. The thing had this huge burst and shot way up to 55-60mbps for a second, holy crap! So I thought let's try this again...
          This time is say 55.42mbps down and 7.4mbps up. And a third time... 41.72mbps and 7.5mbps.

The 26mbps is my typical download speed or around 30mbps. These faster speeds seem like something new to me as I have tried that speed test many times before.
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Wow, that speed is great Gonz, and Steve.
            No Cable up my Private Drive, I'm stuck with phone Co. or Satelite dish.
            I thought the 6 would be fantastic!
            Steve, I'm going to pay nearly that much for the 6mbps.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Wow, that speed is great Gonz, and Steve.
              No Cable up my Private Drive, I'm stuck with phone Co. or Satelite dish.
              I thought the 6 would be fantastic!
              Steve, I'm going to pay nearly that much for the 6mbps.
              T
              Research that Dish network ISP as much as you can. I remember reading that they allow a predetermined amount of bandwidth per month. It might be good for casual web browsing if you are not online that much. However, the Dish ISP would never work for me. Then later if you want to cancel there is a huge 2 year agreement they trap you into. Just beware.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post

Research that Dish network ISP as much as you can. I remember reading that they allow a predetermined amount of bandwidth per month. It might be good for casual web browsing if you are not online that much. However, the Dish ISP would never work for me. Then later if you want to cancel there is a huge 2 year agreement they trap you into. Just beware.
                I'm sticking with at&t Uverse, it has unlimited download.
                I need it, as much as I download Linux Distros.
                My DSL system will be retrofitted to Uverse on Friday.
                T
                Terry

Comment

FYI Chattanooga TN has a municipally owned ISP with gigabit internet (1000Mbps down and up) for $70/month, or the same price as Google Fiber in Kansas City MO/KS. Its shame other US cities don't do this.

Comment

I went from a 2.43 Download, to a 7.43mbps download.
                    Upload was .35, and now is 1.47mbps upload.
                    Life is better!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

34.3 MBPS down and 4.42 up from charter cable. Can't say I'm disappointed in anything but the price. Mike

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedtest.net by Ookla.png
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	839939I use 4G modem that is 799 rubles a month unlimited($12.50/month) that varies where I am and time of day. At 3am it runs 80mb/s but evening is not so good, 24 down and 30 up. I had fiber in my last apartment, that was $50/month and close to 100mb/s up and down unless it was in the IPS cache, than it ran 500-600mb/s.

I got a little pocket Wi-Fi router with a 4G modem that ran around 15mb/s for internet about 10 hours before it needed to be charged. It could operate in open or secure mode. That way anyplace I am it can generate a network of devices at 100mb/s. It works really well, by just setting it on the dashboard of a car(but shaded since direct such on a hot day shuts it down until it cools). It can serve 10 connections at once. The router.modem a bit smaller and thinner than a cassette tape was about $40 and just put a SIM card into it and it is on 4G internet. When I go to friends homes who have slow ADSL, I turn it on so they can download a consistent 10mb/s. It has a flip-out USB connector so plugging it into a laptop of USB charger tops it up from dead to full in about 1.5 hours. I set my Note 4 for combining 4G plus Wi-Fi for faster speed but also for the auto switching between networks so I can keep most data use on Wi-Fi while walking down the street. Almost every shop and cafe or pub and shopping center has free wi-fi so one could get by with no ISP payments.
                        A few of the mobile phone companies are promising 300mb/s by the end of the year.
                        In the 90s I needed a faster connection than double ISDN(64kbs x 2) so ended up with a T-1 line for 1.5mb/s which was expensive ($1,500/month) yet was a marvel. Now that is considered stone age. In a few years 1gb/s will be common in many parts of Asia and Europe.

Comment

I only had dial-up until about 5 years ago.
                          So I am thrilled with the 7.2mbps.
                          I live in the boonies, so I'm lucky to get that!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

I haven't run the speed test in a while.
                            It's now just a little faster on the download, and about the same on the upload.
                            Still pretty good for the boonies!
                            What does yours look like these days?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-29 12-27-50.png
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	852240
                            Terry

Comment

I'm around 3.5 down and .4 up.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X