Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    I'm around 3.5 down and .4 up.
    Hey, that's fast enough to download linux, will take a bit longer, but doable.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/bi...live/20181129/
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Here in the midwest (well, actually the Chicago-Detroit megapolitan area) cable runs everywhere. I've been upset at the price spectrum/charter/TWC/whoever-they-are-this-month charges, but the speed is great! The 100mbps download is really 100mbps, even during primetime as it is now (clocked at 116.8mbps). Upload is also better than I expected, at 11.7mbps.

The wife and I do a lot of Netflix viewing, and have been pretty happy with the consistency of the transmission.
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

(clocked at 116.8mbps). Upload is also better than I expected, at 11.7mbps.
        Wow, That's fast, Congrats!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I haven't run the speed test in a while.
          It's now just a little faster on the download, and about the same on the upload.
          Still pretty good for the boonies!
          What does yours look like these days?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51304[/ATTACH]
          Not sure why, but my speed went up lately?
          It now downloads three times as fast as before!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-03-05 13-38-54.png
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	853267
          Terry

Comment

I guess mine's pretty good.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-08 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	853293
            Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
              I guess mine's pretty good.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]52840[/ATTACH]
              Oh yes, you have great speed.
              I live in the sticks, and I'm proud of my new faster speed, on U-verse.
              I can now download a full Linux .iso in minutes, it used to take most of an hour.
              Last edited by big_teee; 03-09-2019, 02:03 AM.
              Terry

Comment

I downloaded linux mint 19.1 last week for my wife's win 10 laptop. She's not looking for a Chromebook any more
                We get most of our TV over the internet. Last summer we had a lot of buffering, so I called Spectrum and they came out and fixed it. They said it would be even faster if we had a better modem. It's fast enough now that everything works as it should.
                Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

In case anyone else is like me ( within 100 miles of silicon valley but) gets nothing but slow a(s)s molasses satellite internet (ATT offered me dial up!!) I'm looking into the following "rural option"

Verizon JetPack Cell modem with (store ONLY not available online!) Unlimited prepaid data plan.

They won't let you select the higher end 4G LTE JetPack (MiFi 8800L, $200) just the lower Ellipsis Jetpack (MHS900L, $50) online BUT supposedly in the Verizon store you can purchased
                  MiFi 8800L for $200 on an Unlimited prepaid plan (add a line) for $70 a month. 5G may be on the way but I sure as hell won't see it this decade!!

When (if) I am able to do this I'll report back and cut the satellite disk off my roof and burn it in the yard (unless they want it back

Comment

So getting this plan from Verizon is a royal PITA; they do not want to give you unlimited 4G LTE internet for $70/mo. After two visits to the bewildered GEDs at the Verizon store, they were convinced both the PREPAID and the POSTPAID JetPack/Hotspot accounts have hard data caps of 15Gb for fast 4G LTE and then throttle to 600k.

This is in spite of the PREPAID unlimited plan costing $70/mo and the POSTPAID (not really) unlimited plan costing $20/mo (DUH!)

Luckily this morass has been sussed out by the nice folks who haul their RVs all over the US because they MUST have mobile internet!!
                    Its laid out in ~20 pages here:
                    https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...-for-jetpacks/

I'll be taking the 20 printed pages into Ver-lie-zon later this week and reporting back.

Comment

Just checked DL- 92mbps UL- 37 mbps
                      "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Comment

I haven't run the speed test in a while.
                        It's now just a little faster on the download, and about the same on the upload.
                        Still pretty good for the boonies!
                        What does yours look like these days?
                        I check my ISP every year or so, and mine has gotten a bit faster.
                        Still not great, but better.
                        I think most of it has to do the better WIFI I got about a year ago.
                        Here it is now.
                        T

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-12-26 01-15-57.png Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	948057
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X