Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schematics Power Capacitors question

Hi All,

First of all, sorry for my English and my lack of professional language.
    I am an enthusiastic amateur and I am about to build an SLO Clone (more or less).

I have a question to far (or less) more, but definitely advanced Collegues.

I have a point in the schematic where the mid point (I hope I am understandable) from the output transformer
    goes. That point shares two electrylic condensers as well, (2x 220u 400V), one point of one of the fuses (T0,5A) and
    one side of the choke transformer also. My question is the following: Is it possible that I don't solder the mid point of the
    output transformer there as it is completely at the other end of the chassis, but put one more 220u 400 Volts elco
    in the chassis near to the mid output cable and connect to it separately? Basically the question is: is it a problem if the mid point
    of the output transformer is not connected directly to the other points mentioned above but fed separately?

Thanks VERY much for the answer!

Try it & see.

The worse than can happen is the amp 'may' hum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Try it & see.

The worse than can happen is the amp 'may' hum.
      Thanks! Really appreciate it! Will do.

Comment

It's OK just as long as you don't exceed the voltage rating of the cap(s) from the power supply. The schematic I saw had two 220uF in series to handle the ~485 volts to the plates.
        Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

Are you talking about only putting one 220uf cap on the OT? They are not rated at a high enough voltage to handle that supply, you need two of them in series like the circuit shows. Plus it halves the value of the capacitors to 110uf.
          --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Thank You for your answers, it helps shape the future of that part.

I think I will acquire an 500 Volts 220u condenser there. There is a place for one for sure. I think 110u is not a problem,
            but the Voltage sure is! And I am really grateful that you guys pointed that out for me.

Comment

Many builders like to have a safety factor there, so a 500 volt rating will just barely be enough. If you can find a 100uF, 600 volt capacitor this will be better since two 220uF in series is 110 uF. This is the original value on the schematic. Or the other way is to series connect two 220uF, 300-350 volt condensers

Comment

Originally posted by DRH1958 View Post
                Many builders like to have a safety factor there, so a 500 volt rating will just barely be enough. If you can find a 100uF, 600 volt capacitor this will be better since two 220uF in series is 110 uF. This is the original value on the schematic. Or the other way is to series connect two 220uF, 300-350 volt condensers
                Hi, Yes, this seems very logical, I will head to the shop the next week, will tell you about the results soon.
                Thanks Everyone

Comment

BIAS measuring

Hi All,

getting to the end of my build soon, can you tell me where can I meause the bias voltage? I guess the first point is the BIAS point itself, can you advise about the other?
                  Thanks very much in advance!

Comment

On pin 5 of the power tubes.

Comment

I'm a little concerned, how much experience do you have with tube amps? Do you know the safety issues? Have you studied schematics and information about building amps? This isn't a paint-by-numbers game, you can hurt yourself pretty badly if you don't know how to work around high voltage.
                      --Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
                        I'm a little concerned, how much experience do you have with tube amps? Do you know the safety issues? Have you studied schematics and information about building amps? This isn't a paint-by-numbers game, you can hurt yourself pretty badly if you don't know how to work around high voltage.
                        I am no pro yet (of course as you can see from my questions, this is my first build though I studied and saw pros working, servicing and building them) - I am aware of the main points, studying it and know about the risks and safety. I totally appreciate your concern though.

Comment

Just checking.
                          --Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X