Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undo the super glue!!

I will now plead my case:

I was making my new HellDog P90's today (17k, YEAH BABY<YEAH), and of coarse knowing what type of enviroment they will be beaten into submission in, I decided to super glue the magnets. I know there is no need to glue the magnets, but again you guys know they are going into a very abusive situation....I did. Well, as I was putting the other one on, it slipped out of my hand and landed perfectly on the other one, and instantly sealed. I was pissed, I had the magnets preped perfect! What can I do to get them apart? get some unsuperglue, or is there a method I could use?
    Thanks in advance.....

Acetone will get the glue off, give it a soak for a while if they're not also attached to plastic.

Comment

Acetone is used as a superglue remover. Any way you could steep the magnets in that?

S.

Comment

Originally posted by dpm View Post
        Acetone will get the glue off, give it a soak for a while if they're not also attached to plastic.
        Ok, Do you think maybe fingernail polish? No, they are not stuck to the bobbin. I just did'nt want to chuck them out- thats $1.00 to me!

Comment

Fingernail polish remover! (well if it has acetone in it!)

Comment

Oops,lol. Yes remover. Thats what I meant. good catch

Comment

Yeah, nail polish remover will work if it's acetone based, but if you're dealing with CA on a regular basis it pays to have some acetone on hand.

Comment

no.....

Heat the magnets with a torch it will destroy the bond if hot enough, an old jeweler's trick....
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Indeed it will. You may even have luck with a large soldering iron.

Comment

Originally posted by dpm View Post
                    Acetone will work, as will MEK. These may be bought in hardware and paint stores.

Do not use fingernail polish remover, as it also probably contains lanolin (sheep grease), which will interfere with subsequent gluing.

Comment

Hot water will do and you can crack them apart too.
                      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Superglue deteriorates at 350F. Using superglue for "temporary" holding of parts is a machinist's trick that saves a lot of pfaffing about.
                        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Thanks!

I'll try some things later this afternoon. I just didn't want to throw them out. I'll try the hot water first. If not, the mek should work . I thought heat too, but was questionable if it did'nt get apart right away it may redry.
                          Thanks for the replys

Comment

The stove!!

About 25 seconds on the stove> Started slipping right apart!! I tryed hot water too....and I suspect it would have worked if I boiled it, but the flame is much faster. Thankyou everyone : ) I saved a dollar today!! But learning is priceless!!

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                              Superglue deteriorates at 350F. Using superglue for "temporary" holding of parts is a machinist's trick that saves a lot of pfaffing about.
                              You do know that cyanoacrylate (Superglue) was developed during the Viet Nam war for the temporary holding together of "human parts"? It was developed to be a temorary chemical suture to close wounds, so that G.I.s could be quickly closed up under combat conditions, shoved onto a helicopter and quickly brought somewhere where the wound could be properly treated.

Or at least that's what I was told years ago. That's why the stuff sticks to skin so well. That's what it was meant for.

Comment

Working...
                              X