Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodmans Audiom 51 dilemma!

Hello all,
    Got recently this pair of Goodmans Audiom 51 drivers from an audiophile friend.He bought them a while go as a possible 12" driver setup of some kind in his home Hi-Fi but the results were below his expectations (most probably,these drivers require a horn loading but were tested only in some bass-reflex cabs).Further,the Audioms came to me in an attempt to make them "sing"....maybe in a guitar combo!
    Aside that there's a major lack of information regarding the entire Goodmans production,the Audiom 51's I just got are some kind of a bigger novelty...at least for me.
    In the past,I saw Audiom 51 drivers in two versions:
    1.the "lo-freq" ones,with res. at 35 Hz and wearing a red label on their magnets.
    2.the "guitar" ones,with res.at 65 Hz and a green label.
    (...well,with a little effort,you might find some pics over the internet for both versions).
    The Audioms I just got have a blue label and a res. at 50 Hz.All other visible details (structure,shape,etc) are the same with "reds" and "greens".
    Now,the questions:
    1.Where can I find some detailed info (T-S data,maybe?) about these drivers?Does someone have some old Goodmans documentation?...and if yes,could someone be so kind and make some scans?
    2.Are the "blue" drivers any good in a guitar cab?I found some references about an older Watkins combo ("Joker") as being fitted with Goodmans,but there's no presumable link between this vintage amp and the "blue" Audioms.
    Have you ever dealt with them?

Any comment and info is heartly welcomed!

Best regards,
    Le Basseur

Did you ever get any info on those Goodmans? I'm looking into buying a pair of Audiom 50.

I'm thinking if made in Britain they must be good.

thanks, Evan

Comment

There are gadgets to make such measurements Hopefully this link works, if not refer to PArts Express stock 390-803

Dayton WT3 Bundled with Precision Scale
      Last edited by tboy; 05-16-2009, 09:07 PM.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
        Did you ever get any info on those Goodmans? I'm looking into buying a pair of Audiom 50.
        Nope,still no info about the Goodmans,sorry.
        Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
        I'm thinking if made in Britain they must be good.
        Well...it's a matter of taste,actually.
        Few months ago I put them to work in a '77 "blackfaced" Twin and in a Bassman '59 clone combo respectively and I asked a few friends to play them.The Goodmans' sound is "British" indeed (as opposed to most modern Celestions)...some of the guys loved them but some others turned their heads.
        Personally,I like what I heard but I can't say I'd use them for anything (read:any kind of music).
        Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        There are gadgets to make such measurements Hopefully this link works, if not refer to PArts Express stock 390-803
        Thanks Enzo for the link,that gadget looks useful (and functional,too!).
        Regards,

Comment

Apparently the old Laney Supergroup cabinets had Goodmans and they are supposed to be a component of the early Black Sabbath sound. You see some of the old Laney heads here in the states, but I've yet to see or hear one of the old cabinets.

Comment

I put a 2nd-hand 15Wer in a 5F2A I built. It sang like blazes with the amp dimed, and did a really cool stairway solo. Apart from the fact that Vox are alleged to have put Goodman's in their earlier amps, I don't know much about them, except that they are heavier than usual, and that maybe that is why they changed to the blues.
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
            X