No announcement yet.

Open box Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for some deals on new laptops.
    I have a pair of High School Senior Grandkids graduating this year at Christmas semester.
    My wife and I want to give each one a new Laptop for part Christmas, part Grad gift.
    Last year there were cheap laptops galore, not seeing that much this year?
    Would like something in the 15.6 inch screen 8gb Ram, and 1TB of Hard Drive.
    If you see any ads with good deals soon, please post them here.
    Thanks,
    T
    I suggest that you sign up for the daily promo code specials at Fry's Electronics. They offer free shipping for most orders over $50 (some of the items are available only in the stores.) Here is a link to sign up:

https://www.frys.com/workflow/AcctMa...?site=savepage

The best deals are factory refurbished items as well as models that are on clearance. Here is one from today's ad to give you an idea of what they offer. It meets none of the specifications you spelled but it is a Dell business model and appears to be a real work horse, er, pony... (Available only in stores, probably clearing out remaining stock.)

Here are the details from the Dell website and a review. (BTW they retailed for $960+ back in 2010)

Latitude E6410 Laptop Details | Dell United States

Dell Latitude E6410 Review | NotebookReview.com

Steve A.

P.S. Dell's recommended replacement for the E6410 is the E6430... here is a listing from Daily Deals for refurbished units for $199:

https://www.dailydeals.io/products/d...nt=44203106883

And New Egg is selling recertified ones for $191 plus $12 shipping..

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82&ignorebbr=1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve A.; 11-18-2017, 12:02 PM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      Hell they probably get better meals in jail in India or Bangladesh or Pakistan than they do by running their stupid phone scam.
      Well, I guess wormy/buggy rice contains more high quality (animal) Protein than plain white rice.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'm looking for deals on new full sized 15.6 inch Laptops.
        I'm not looking for any refurbs for gifts.
        I'll keep looking.
        I usually end up buying from BestBuy, or Sams Club.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I'm looking for deals on new full sized 15.6 inch Laptops.
          I'm not looking for any refurbs for gifts.
          I'll keep looking.
          I usually end up buying from BestBuy, or Sams Club.
          T
          Fry's also sells new ones as promo specials, sometimes at ridiculously low prices. They have a store in my hometown and I always compare their promo prices to Amazon, etc., to see how good of a deal it is and to check the reviews before pulling the trigger (some of their clearance items get horrible reviews - you can see why Fry's is practically giving them away.)

I've also gotten great prices at New Egg...

Steve A.

P.S. Are you sure that your grandkids actually want a full-sized 15.6" laptop? While old guys like us learned computing on desktop computers with separate keyboards and monitors kids these days grew up with smart phones and tablets...

P.P.S. I just assumed that you'd be installing Linix on the laptops before giving them out as presents but perhaps I was wrong about that...
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:

Comment

Since you're a linux guy, one thing that you should consider is refusing to accept the Windows license on a new machine when you first boot. I've read that if you buy a new machine that comes with Windows and you refuse to accept the license, such that Windows will not be run, then MSFT has to issue a refund for the software. It's a rather hefty chunk of a new machine's price.
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Linux is my thing!
              I don't force it on any of the kids.
              They all carry smart phones.
              Wanted the full sized laptops for their in room college work.
              Linux can be installed anytime in the future. If they want it.
              I'm leaning toward a pair of these.
              https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-15-...rod21397643.ip
              If I buy them online Black friday, they will cost $450 each.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Linux is my thing!
                I don't force it on any of the kids.
                They all carry smart phones.
                Wanted the full sized laptops for their in room college work.
                Linux can be installed anytime in the future. If they want it.
                I'm leaning toward a pair of these.
                If I buy them online Black friday, they will cost $450 each.
                T
                Cool! From what I've heard a 15.6" touch screen should work great with Windows 10.

I guess you'll be setting your alarm clock early on Friday...
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  Cool! From what I've heard a 15.6" touch screen should work great with Windows 10.

You have to do the online Black Friday Ads at midnight EDT.
                  If you wait for the next morning, all computer deals are gone.
                  So I will be logged on to Sams Club website, before 11PM CDT, Wednesday Night!
                  I bought 2 HPs last year. They were all gone within 15-20 minutes.
                  The ones I got last year were cheaper AMD computers, that were normally $499, got them for $299 each.
                  I got Sharon a Red one, I got the Blue one, I use mine to test multi-boot linux.
                  I keep up to 5 distros on it, at a time.
                  That allows me to test and try things I wouldn't take chances on, with my other computers.
                  If I blow up the software, I wipe it and reload it!
                  Trial and error is a great learning tool!
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 11-20-2017, 02:39 AM.
                  Terry

Comment

You should see if you can get paid somewhere to test all those distros!
                    Out of curiousity, how many do you think you have tested so far?
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                      I just can't wrap my mind around the Black Friday early shopping thing. Yes, there are some smokin' deals out there, but you have to be the first lion to jump through the flaming hoop to get the steak. I actually thought about doing the early shopping thing once. Years ago I drove past Best Buy at 04:00 on BF and saw a line of people that was 3 blocks long and wrapped around a corner. I stayed in the car. I stopped counting when I got to 300 people. Then I drove to White Castle and went home.

I find Black Friday to be a lot more tolerable now that we live in the era of online shopping. It's one hell of a lot easier to load up your online shopping cart, refresh the prices when the deals go live, and checkout online. Sites like BlackFriday.com that show you the ads in advance are particularly helpful about figuring out what sort of deals are out there. Any more, I just stay home and shop online. Color me lazy, but I don't want to get up at 4 am and deal with cold weather and crowds.

Interestingly, I got a mailer from GC regarding their annual VIP Customer Appreciation Event. It's a special sale by invitation, and the prices are even lower than GC's BF deals. I guess they like it if you buy several guitars over the span of a few months.
                      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        You should see if you can get paid somewhere to test all those distros!
                        Out of curiousity, how many do you think you have tested so far?
                        It's open source.
                        I couldn't charge to test something that I got for free!
                        I mess with Linux, cause I like it.
                        Something to do when it is wet and cold outside.
                        I don't know how many linux distros I've tested.
                        I end up testing the same ones, every time a new issue comes out.
                        Always looking for that Ultimate OS.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Just bought a pair of the HP i5s.
                          Price includes shipping and 2 year care pack warranty.
                          Should be here in a week.
                          Saved $440 on the pair.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Tis the time and season to buy discount Laptops.
                            Ordered the two touchscreens for the grandkids, my wife is footing the bill on those.
                            In the paper yesterday was an ad at OfficeDepot.
                            It had an ad for a different HP i5 processor, 8gb ram, 1 TB Hard drive, $349.99, no touchscreen on this one.
                            https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...op-156-Screen/
                            So this morning I bought myself a christmas Present.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

I booted up the i5 HP laptop, and Wow, it is very impressive.
                              I also booted it to a USB3 Ubuntu memory stick, and it ran great!
                              I will park the new Hard Drive, leaving the win10 on it for a while.
                              I have some other 1TB WD drives I can use for linux.
                              The i5 8 Core blows away the AMD laptops I have.
                              A hellofadeal for under $350.
                              Will make a great Laptop/Desktop, for my bedroom desk!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X