Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil estimator

hi all

having used the coil estimator a number of times, I am finding it not as utilitarian as I would like, namely:

1. given I live in a metric country... dimensions for bobbins in metric would be nice - maybe a choice between metric and imperial would be optimal
    2. I have been using metric wire (ie IEC 60317) for some of my winds and would dearly love the ability to insert odd dimensions if possible

mr salvarsan....do you think it would be too much to ask for this to added? of course I ask this as I am sure others would find these features useful

maybe others can pipe in if they have any other needs....

thanks

fab

Having trouble operating a calculator?

I kid, I kid...
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

no problem with calculator at all. I just cant find it when I need it...

I know imperial well... its just a pain when you work in metric and have to convert to imperial all the time

Comment

I think we are lucky to have it at all. Thank You Salvarsan!
        That would probably be a complete rebuild to make it either or?
        I was still kinda hoping they would cancel Metric all together!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

yes its a wonderful tool and very well made and do appreciate its creation.....mr salvarsan did a great job

i think an modification would be possible. the addition of .06mm and .05mm wire would not be so hard.

i was growing up in a world of pounds, feet, miles, acres.... when in the mid 70's everything went metric......
          in the engineering and scientific world, metric works so much easier.....

.... except when it comes to peoples height and weight....6 feet height means more to me than 180cm.... and if you weight 12 stones its more meaningful than 76kg

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            kinda hoping they would cancel Metric all together!
            T
            Cancel one or the other .. It's no fun having to have Both Metric & SAE tools on hand .
            You will find both Metric & SAE on automobiles made in North America ....
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

yes it would be easier.

i work on a lot of European industrial machines.... everything is metric.... except for some threaded pneumatic fittings where its back to imperial measures again.

some things have remained imperial.... i have never seen a threaded drill chuck with a metric reverse thread

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
                having used the coil estimator a number of times, I am finding it not as utilitarian as I would like, namely:

1. given I live in a metric country... dimensions for bobbins in metric would be nice - maybe a choice between metric and imperial would be optimal
                2. I have been using metric wire (ie IEC 60317) for some of my winds and would dearly love the ability to insert odd dimensions if possible
                Go 'metric'?

You BASTARD!

It's unamerican iz wutt it iz.

There I was, fat, sleepy, stupid, and well-fed, and you had to suggest something that obligates me to stir my shiftless arse and feign actual industry.

I've thought about addiing metric features so often enough that it is long overdue.

For now, pickup coil dimensions will need to be a direct conversion.
                TPL = WPL = winds per layer stays the same.
                A winds-per-inch spec would be helpful to some, and I wonder if winds-per-cm is the useful equivalent.

You wouldn't have the internal dimensions of a Fender Jaguar coil/bobbin, would you?
                Any other coil size you'd like to add?

-hizself
                Last edited by salvarsan; 11-11-2015, 04:41 PM. Reason: stupid syntax
                "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

It ain't broke, Why Fix it!
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

True, tain't broke, but if it's inconvenient for the task at hand, why bother using it?

The metric wire standard is interesting. They call single and double builds "Grades 1B and 2B", just for starters, and anything thinner than AWG 42 has no tolerance given on the conductor diameter (same as us).

http://www.elektrisola.com/us/magnet...ec-60-317.html

-hizself
                    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I use this a lot while making custom items for furinurs Worldwide Wholesale Distribution of Valves, Fittings, Tubing & Flanges: World Wide Metric yee haw

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post

You wouldn't have the internal dimensions of a Fender Jaguar coil/bobbin, would you?

-hizself
                        yes I am a bastard.... but a nice one...

I will have the dimensions of a jag pickup bobbin in a few days once I get to the rewind of the fender VI bass. its a squire but that's all I have

as for other bobbin sizes, well many of my bobbins are non standard, so as long as I can input the dimensions manually (in mm!!!!!!) that would be fine

TPL is great when you are always using the same bobbin .... but turns per cm is constant and does not rely on the bobbin height and can be transferred from one bobbin to another. I am always using my calc to work out comparative TPL between different bobbin heights. t/cm would be advantageous in this regard

thanks salvarsan

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                          Go 'metric'?

You BASTARD!

It's unamerican iz wutt it iz.

-hizself
                          I am not american... hence the request!!!

here ya go:

length 56.2mm , width 5mm, height 10.75mm, flange 15.75mm

Comment

do you think it would be too much to ask for this to added? of course I ask this as I am sure others would find these features useful
                            Go to the website and press Ctrl+u. Coil Estimator is written in Javascript which is exposed to the user. I agree that the feature would be usefull, and I definitely think you should code it! Perhaps Mr. Salversan would accept a patch!

Comment

You can save a copy of the estimator to your computer.
                              Then I would think, you could do whatever you like with it, for your personal use.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X