• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Mark Triple 6 new release - Questions

Hello Friends,

I have some questions regarding this amp:
    Triple 6 new release - Dv Mark Products
    DV Mark Triple 6 new release.

Pretty interesting device with automatic bias adjustment and a lot of other stuff.

Here is a link on it's manual:
    http://www.dvmark.it/upload_area/fil...20_Triple6.pdf

My friend changed tubes with a new set (old tubes were working, it was just as a regular maintenance to prevent possible tube issues because tubes already worked 3 years in this amp)

After this change sound was good, without any issues.
    Four hours later after a sound-check amp started to sound strange, there was blue glowing on the plates of the output tubes.
    (I think this is being caused by a bias issues but I'm not sure)

On the official site i can see the following info:
    The Triple 6 has a built-in system that automatically biases AND matches the output tubes (if the tubes are within 20%)! No more trips to your service tech for biasing! Our unique patent pending Advanced Tube Control System allows you to hook up to the optional DV Controller to collect cool and useful information such as power amp voltages, bias current, tube life and more! This feature is unique to DV Mark!
    Manual says the following:

21) SERVICE The optional ATCS (Advanced Tube Control System) interface allows users or service technicians to connect this port to a
    computer and, with dedicated software, collect technical data and tube parameters from the amp.
    I found the following on their site:
    DVM Controller - Dv Mark Products

One technician said to my friend that this port is being used and for the bias settings
    i.e. To set the proper bias it is necessary to connect a special controller and to perform some configurations.
    This technician repaired the same amp, and after replacing the controller board - he connected this amp to Internet, provided an IP address to DV Mark technicians and they performed some configurations.
    He also told that this external controller is required to set the proper Bias settings.
    Unfortunately I don't have contacts of this technician and can't ask him for more details.

I tried to talk with DV Mark Support and they didn't answer. My friend wrote more than 10 mails and without any success.

My thoughts are the following:
    1. It is strange for me. their site says that there is no need to deal with technicians and amp can bias itself without any problems, but other person says that there is need to use external controller.
    2. 2 I don't believe that without this controller or without technicians it is impossible to set proper Bias.
      It seems like "Apple - Style" you need to buy a special original cable, without it you can't charge your phone..
    3. 3 In Controller description are no info regarding the settings configuration. It can only reset Lifetime counter for the tubes...

There is an option - to disconnect this logical circuit and to make a classic bias using a potentiometer.
    But I don't like such approach.

Maybe someone had a deal with such amps and can give me an advice ?

Originally posted by Danila-master View Post
    After this change sound was good, without any issues.
    Four hours later after a sound-check amp started to sound strange,
    The most likely suspect is the new tubes.
    Have you tried it with the old ones back in there?
    If it was a bias problem, it would not have sounded good when the new tubes were first installed.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I have some questions regarding this amp:
      Triple 6 new release - Dv Mark Products
      DV Mark Triple 6 new release.
      This looks like a sister company of Markbass - the amp uses the same enclosure as Markbass.
      One technician said to my friend that this port is being used and for the bias settings
      i.e. To set the proper bias it is necessary to connect a special controller and to perform some configurations.
      This technician repaired the same amp, and after replacing the controller board - he connected this amp to Internet, provided an IP address to DV Mark technicians and they performed some configurations.
      He also told that this external controller is required to set the proper Bias settings.
      The information provided by this technician seems to me completely wrong (especially if you read the manual). The bias settings procedure is already programmed in the processor. Of course, if the control board failed, it had to be replaced but this doesn't mean that you need external interfaces to set up the amp. It is required only if you need to read/collect data from the amp, or change parameters of the algorithm used by the control board.
      I would try switching back to the old tubes. Maybe one of the new tubes has failed.
      You may open the amp and see how actually the bias is regulated. In the simplest form there are 1 Ohms resistors in the cathode of each tube and the microprocessor just measures the voltage on the resistors and changes the bias voltage acordingly. More advanced automatic bias circuit was discussed here some time ago (I think Enzo was describing the circuit - possibly from Carvin amp). So in case the old tubes also work incorrectly, I would measure voltages on the tubes pins (and check if they are incorrect).
      Another option is to check new tubes in another amp. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the blue glow in a tube (of course depending on the quantity of the glow).
      You may also try to disconnect (temporarily) the controller board and set the bias manually. If the amp works correctly in this case, you have something to think of.

Mark

Comment

My friend tested it with old set of tubes and had the same issue with PA sound.

Maybe there are some other issues or maybe controller board gone crazy.

At this moment I don't have this amp at hand. He will bring it to me in some weeks.
        Really interesting device, I would be curious to have a look on its guts.

If there is an issue with controller board there are 3 options:
        1. Ask DV Mark for a new controller board (if covered by warranty)
        2. 2 Ask for a firmware (I don't believe that they will share it, but who knows)
        3. 3 If no - Set the bias using a regular potentiometer and fuck it all =)))

P.S. I got a confirmation that they opened my mail, but I still don't have a reply....
        Great support service.....

Comment

One short update )

In this video one guy is talking about DVM Controller and is showing it's functionality.
          There are no info regarding the bias configuration. If I'm understanding correctly - This device is "read-only"
          and the only one thing that could be changed - is tube lifetime counter. If tubes have been changed - we can reset this value to see
          how much time these particular tubes have been used.

It seems to me that I got wrong regarding this Service port.
          Last edited by Danila-master; 11-16-2015, 08:00 AM.

Comment

So your friend incorrectly understood information from the technician. The port can be used for the bias settings but only in a "read-only" way - to find out what are the currents for each of the tubes. You may also verify how the tubes are matched. And how long are the tubes running. Nothing more.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
              So your friend incorrectly understood information from the technician. The port can be used for the bias settings but only in a "read-only" way - to find out what are the currents for each of the tubes. You may also verify how the tubes are matched. And how long are the tubes running. Nothing more.

Mark
              Totally agree with you!

It remains to get the amp and to measure bias, output plate voltage, ad PI plates voltages.
              To see - what is the root cause of this sound issue.
              It will be a little bit complicated without a full schematic, but I think that it is possible.

Comment

Hello all,

I got a confirmation from KEYMUSIC.
                They confirmed that this DVM controller is being used as monitoring tool only.

My last mail to the DV Mark Support team has been sent 18 November 2015. Two !!!! Months ago.
                And I sill didn't had any reply.....

Their service really sucks....

I will get this amp and will try to troubleshoot it without schematics and without knowing voltages and settings.

Comment

Please try to keep an 'open mind' when confronting the problem.

At this point, you do not know that it is a bias/ power tube issue.

Read the bias voltage on each bias pin.
                  If within reason, move on & locate the actual problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    Please try to keep an 'open mind' when confronting the problem.

At this point, you do not know that it is a bias/ power tube issue.

Read the bias voltage on each bias pin.
                    If within reason, move on & locate the actual problem.
                    Will do!

I just wanted to get as much info as possible.
                    I saw a photo of this amp. There really is a forest of PCB's and components.
                    It will be complicated to troubleshoot this device without schematic or any additional info.
                    But as I can see - there no other options.

Comment

Working...
                    X