Taylor Expression System ES II Fused String Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
    If any of you visit San Diego, make it a point to visit the Taylor factory. It's a cool place, I learned tons, and probably spotted several people who built my 416ce. Tom
    Yes, definitely recommended. Taylor's "up the hill" apiece in El Cajon, and last I heard hosts a daily tour at 1 PM. Radio headphones, professional guide, lots of insight into current guitar building methods. I was there Nov 2005, no doubt things have progressed even further since then. BTW they're next door to Mouser - where they won't let you go shopping like it's a grocery store - but if you put in an order previous day or in the AM, they may let you pick it up in person.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I was lately fixing one of Taylor's guitars. The fuse was open. So it looks like it is useful sometimes. I've got great support from the guitar maker. They really care for their customers . No need to mention that the guitar sounded great.

Mark

Comment

Just a final footnote to this thread. I recently bought a new Taylor 712CE that has the Expression System 2 (ES II). First thing I did? Remove the end piece to deal with the fuse. And what do I find? Taylor no longer uses a fuse on the ground lead !! So, I guess their initial argument for safety became more of a headache than they wanted to deal with - so no more fuse.

For those coming along and reading this thread, just make sure your PA gear is properly grounded. If you want absolute isolation, get yourself wireless mics and wireless instrument systems.

Thanks again for the responses above.

Tom

Comment

mistake
          Last edited by J M Fahey; 01-14-2019, 07:13 PM.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

My guess is that the fuse wasn't viewed as kosher by NEC. Code requires that every piece of metal on an electrical appliance that plugs into something that eventually plugs into the wall needs to be grounded. Period. (Unless it's double insulated). If there's a fuse and the fuse blows then there's no ground and that's a no-go. It's all about liability and liability will go to the first thing in the source where someone fucked up, i.e. the panel installation or the outlet. NEC assumes that every commercial outlet and panel is being installed by a licensed, bonded electrician. If a club owner fucks up the owner is liable 100% but if the guitar has a fuse then maybe a good lawyer can point to that and say "hey the guitar manufacturer shares some blame" even though that's a ridiculous assertion.
            Every touring musician should carry an outlet ground tester and a power strip with a GFI or GFCI (ground fault interrupter).

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
              I was lately fixing one of Taylor's guitars. The fuse was open. So it looks like it is useful sometimes. I've got great support from the guitar maker. They really care for their customers . No need to mention that the guitar sounded great.
              It seems that I forgot to mention that I have two such fuses. If anyone needs such a fuse, I can send it to him (possibly in Europe - due to costs of packages).

Mark

Comment

Working...
              X