Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are SoZo blue caps the same as Fender blue caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are SoZo blue caps the same as Fender blue caps?

Has anyone compared side by side? Measured?. Tested? Anybody else sell the Fender blues other than Fender? I would like to give them a try....

Haven't yet. General consensus is, nearest match to the blue "hot dog" caps found in Fenders mid 60's is Mallory 150 mylar/polyester film caps. Reasonably priced, widely available.

Have a peek down the following thread, it will give you some idea what the thought process around here is considering snake oil products: cynical. In their defense, I've installed Sozo yellow film caps for a couple customers, they worked just fine but for our ears (customers & mine) didn't sound as splendiferous as their manufacturer claims. In fact no different than the M 150's. So feel free to experiment, blue Sozos or Fender's current offering of boo-teek caps won't break the bank. If you hear something magnificent we'd all like to know. Selecting a speaker that's agreeable to your ears is much more of a sure-thing mod.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40785/
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

FYI Historically accurate animated interaction between Sozo Cap owner and forum member Knucklefux at Sloclone

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
        FYI Historically accurate animated interaction between Sozo Cap owner and forum member Knucklefux at Sloclone
        Came back from a wake to find this posted, sure brought up the mood 1000%, thanx tedmich! Classic!

Caps, I did have a big success within the last day. Solid state McIntosh, MC 2205 with those big baby blues (meters), weighs like an elephant. Swapped out a cap in one channel that was sounding weak, 10 uF non polarized was measuring about 0.02 uF. Put in back-to-back 22 uF 50V, back in business. They were blue. Blue caps are better. Especially if you play or listen to the blues. Mac tone, plummy yummy as expected.

1ampman don't let any of this funnin' dissuade you from experimenting. If there really is something out there that sounds amazing, we ARE interested.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

The original blue molded caps that were in vintage Fenders haven't been made for years so you can find used ones and hope they don't leak DC. They usually don't fail but they will sometimes be bad and ebay sellers often don't know enough to check to see if they leak DC.

The blue Sozos are good quality caps and sound good. I tried them in my brother's Pro Reverb to replace the lousy quality brown caps that it came with originally and the amp sounds good (better than before) and works fine. Whether they get the same sound as the old blue molded caps or not I don't know and don't really want to comment further as sound is so subjective. They are good caps and sound and work fine though so try them and see for yourself.

Greg

Comment

Working...
          X