Need P90 Bobbin To Fit Vintage Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need P90 Bobbin To Fit Vintage Parts

I've got a rewind of a 50's P90 but the bobbin is broken in several places. The spacing is 49mm but I can only find 50mm bobbins.

Anyone know where I can find correctly spaced bobbins?

Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
    I've got a rewind of a 50's P90 but the bobbin is broken in several places. The spacing is 49mm but I can only find 50mm bobbins.

Anyone know where I can find correctly spaced bobbins?
    I think Throbak sells theirs.

cheers,
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
      I think Throbak sells theirs.

cheers,
      They do but they are $30 a piece.

Comment

If you have an intact bobbin you could try to make a silicone mold of it and cast your own in black PU. That will also cost you $30 and a lot of time so take your pick. I'd try modifying a 50mm one by moving the outside poles in .020". It's really not that much.

Comment

It might come to that, but I thought I'd see if there were any 49mm at reasonable retail rates before I started messin' round.

Comment

It might come to that, but I thought I'd see if there were any 49mm at reasonable retail rates before I started messin' round.
            I think Duncans are 49.2mm. if you found an old dead one you could strip and use it.
            good luck.

cheers,
            Jack Briggs

sigpic
            www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

They're not that hard to make with forbon, or whatever with a wooden core. You can use the base plate as a guide when drilling. Drill the holes first, and then sand the core to size.
              Last edited by John_H; 11-20-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

For what it is, the price is more than reasonable.

Unless you're in prison, multiply the amount of time for your hourly rate, then you'll know how much it's actually costing you for make it yourself, out of forbon (not vintage, so the p'up's value falls down to the floor), and that's assuming what you can come up with, actually is usable. Then compare it to the $30,00 plus shipping, having a product of the best possible quality, and tell me which one is better/cheaper, both for you and your customer.

Food for thought...
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  For what it is, the price is more than reasonable.

Unless you're in prison, multiply the amount of time for your hourly rate, then you'll know how much it's actually costing you for make it yourself, out of forbon (not vintage, so the p'up's value falls down to the floor), and that's assuming what you can come up with, actually is usable. Then compare it to the $30,00 plus shipping, having a product of the best possible quality, and tell me which one is better/cheaper, both for you and your customer.

Food for thought...
                  I don't think it was even insinuated that $30 wasn't a fair price.

Comment

I wouldn't pay $30 either.
                    I would do like John_H said.
                    Use the baseplate as a template, and make a bobbin core, and use forbon flatwork.
                    It should be doable enough.
                    Another thing you might try, is to salvage the core of the old bobbin and attach it to new thin forbon, or fish paper.
                    GL,
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      I wouldn't pay $30 either.
                      I would do like John_H said.
                      Use the baseplate as a template, and make a bobbin core, and use forbon flatwork.
                      It should be doable enough.
                      Another thing you might try, is to salvage the core of the old bobbin and attach it to new thin forbon, or fish paper.
                      GL,
                      Now it has been insinuated that $30 is too much.

Comment

My two cents... the price is fair if your are willing to pay to get what you need for an accurate reproduction of the vintage bobbin. Jon did a lot of work duplicating the bobbin and if you need one it is a fair price from him. On the other hand, it can seem expensive when compared to HB bobbins which we see all day at much lower per unit costs. However, this comparison is not really "apples" to "apples". You need to consider the simple fact that an original P-90 bobbin would likely command more than $30 and common modern 50mm P90 bobbins can be found for a couple of bucks.

If you try building one yourself from flatwork with a wooden core or molding one, you'll likely spend much more than $30 in your time just to get something not original at all.

One other option to consider... you can also see if the original bobbin can possibly be restored by gluing or replacing the pieces back together.

Bottom-line, it depends on what your end goal is....a functioning P90 or an vintage original restoration. Also, you have to determine what your time is worth...what the end product is worth...and then make the best decision based on your skills, experience and circumstances.
                        Last edited by Jim Darr; 11-20-2015, 06:45 PM.
                        =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Now it has been insinuated that $30 is too much.
                          $30 is too much IMO!
                          If I was going to charge my fellow winders that price, I just wouldn't offer them at all!
                          Last edited by big_teee; 11-20-2015, 06:52 PM.
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151118_121315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	642.2 KB
ID:	840141

She's gone, baby. And the missing piece is long gone.

The guy is probably going to want to spend $30 for a repro bobbin. I probably would want to, too. But, as always, it's worth asking for alternatives for both my own sake and for the sake of the shared info on this awesome forum.

Comment

I don't think it was even insinuated that $30 wasn't a fair price.
                              Come again..?
                              It's not an insinuation, it's a statement. It says "but", then the price. It means, $30 bucks is the amount you're not willing to pay for a bobbin, probably because you saw some korean-made similar bobbins offered at $2,50 a piece, even though you already established that they don't fit in a real vintage p'up.

Are you sure you want me to continue with the analysis?
                              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                              Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                              X