Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with the Visual Sound Workhorse amps. R.G.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with the Visual Sound Workhorse amps. R.G.?

I was just looking at an ad for these- designed (in part) by R.G. Keen!

Supposedly they have a fairly flat response to be used with your favorite pedal, but how do they sound by themselves?

Seems like a lot of neat features in the amps, including LED's to help you bias the amp for 6L6's or EL34's. (I guess that they won't work with 6V6's... )

I'll have to check one out tomorrow if they have one at the local Ukelele Center...

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

I saw a posting by R.G. Keen on the forum of some other website where he discusses the amps, unfortunately I can't find it now. But perhaps you can search for it.

On the amp I'm in the process of building, the preamp currently looks like a tweed Fender Champ (no tone controls, just .022 coupling caps). My distortion pedals through that amp sound way better than they do through my Twin Reverb, Crate Vintage Club 50, and Gibson GA-15RV. There is no trebly buzz. However, the clean sound is a little dull, no sparkle. In that forum posting, I believe R.G. Keen mentioned that the preamp is pretty simple and is similar to a Fender amp from the late 50's, so I guess he means tweed amps. He says the clean tone is pretty good.

Did you get to check out the amp? If so what was it like?
    Last edited by clintonb; 09-11-2007, 03:25 PM. Reason: original post gave impression that tweed amp clean sounds aren't good.

Comment

If you haven't yet, check out the Visual Sound web page for the amps:

http://www.visualsound.net/Amps_wh.htm

Reading the technical and construction details is likely to make you want one.

They are now my #1 recommended stage amp for working musicians.
      -Erik
      Euthymia Electronics
      Alameda, CA USA
      Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

Working...
      X