Incoming: Coweco Model W Coil Winding Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming: Coweco Model W Coil Winding Machine

This thing's on its way, I'm stoked. I currently have a model C & CS.

The motor's 220V, hoping a step up/down transformer will work with it.

Attached Files
    Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Great looking machine.
    It looks big!

T
    Last edited by big_teee; 11-22-2015, 02:03 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Bobby,

Looks like a great machine. The Model W was designed to be a very versatile lab machine. My W is a much earlier model and I am missing the tail-stock mechanism. Yours seems to be all there.

I have the same counter but mine says "Clipper" on it --- it is not the easiest to read, so I put a mark on it for a specific turn count...trouble is you have to pass "0" several times before you get into the high thousands. If you lose track you have to guess what cycle count your on. Make sure you lube the cable going to the counter as best you can.

Mine came with a very similar dereeler. Because the wire rolls off the spool sideways with that setup, I could never get past the "inertia" problem braking the thin magnet wire we use in pickups. As we discussed in the past, I ended up dereeling end-over-end and abandoned the stock dereeler...maybe you will have better luck or more skill than I did with mine.

It looks like most of your cams are adjustable...am I right? Also, it looks like you got some extra idlers and gears that were never used...nice.

I have a 70s catalog that describes the Model W which I think is from the same time-frame as yours. I also have a blueprint and parts list for mine..again mine was made much earlier but still may be helpful. PM me and let me know if you want me to send you a copy.

I am confused by one thing shown in the picture..It looks like a "Yoke" is outside of the enclosed cam/yolk area...I assume it is an extra one and that your machine came with a "small" and "large" yoke. Let me know if I am right.

Congrats and let us know how it works once you get it set up.
      Last edited by Jim Darr; 11-22-2015, 05:05 AM. Reason: typo
      =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Great looking machine.
        It looks big!
        T
        It's alright T - you can call her a tank, she's a pretty tank!
        The base on these guys is made of aluminum so they are extremely light weight, & might be about 3' in length, off the top of my head. Very portable and easy to move around if needed.
        Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Thanks Jim. I have no idea why there's a yoke mounted on the outside... kinda weird! Someone must have repurposed it for another use.

From your description, it sounds like the counter is not auto stop? Will let you know about the dereeling situation when I get there.

I think all those cams are adjustable... and there was one lose adjustable cam in particular that caught my eye. I was recently quoted $400 to machine a duplicate of mine that has the same range. The one currently mounted on this machine looks like it might be usable for pickup bobbins as well.

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
          Bobby,

Looks like a great machine. The Model W was designed to be a very versatile lab machine. My W is a much earlier model and I am missing the tail-stock mechanism. Yours seems to be all there.

I have the same counter but mine says "Clipper" on it --- it is not the easiest to read, so I put a mark on it for a specific turn count...trouble is you have to pass "0" several times before you get into the high thousands. If you lose track you have to guess what cycle count your on. Make sure you lube the cable going to the counter as best you can.

Mine came with a very similar dereeler. Because the wire rolls off the spool sideways with that setup, I could never get past the "inertia" problem braking the thin magnet wire we use in pickups. As we discussed in the past, I ended up dereeling end-over-end and abandoned the stock dereeler...maybe you will have better luck or more skill than I did with mine.

It looks like most of your cams are adjustable...am I right? Also, it looks like you got some extra idlers and gears that were never used...nice.

I have a 70s catalog that describes the Model W which I think is from the same time-frame as yours. I also have a blueprint and parts list for mine..again mine was made much earlier but still may be helpful. PM me and let me know if you want me to send you a copy.

I am confused by one thing shown in the picture..It looks like a "Yoke" is outside of the enclosed cam/yolk area...I assume it is an extra one and that your machine came with a "small" and "large" yoke. Let me know if I am right.

Congrats and let us know how it works once you get it set up.
          Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

I wouldn't know where to start?
            Where do you wind?
            What is the big gizmo in pic one, with the wheels and dial?
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 11-22-2015, 09:48 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Coon View Post
              The motor's 220V, hoping a step up/down transformer will work with it.
              Save $$, a big pokey autoformer will work fine. One with a VA rating well over what the motor requires so it won't bog down on startup. Check surplus shops if you have any in your area. Can ask at ApexJr too, surplus heaven in Torrance CA. If your workshop's at home, consider many houses have at least one 240V line for dryer, often a second for stove. May cost some $$ for an electrician to put one in your workshop for your winder, OTOH that may run into #%@! $$ plus a permit & inspection.... autoformer it is.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Coon View Post
                ...From your description, it sounds like the counter is not auto stop?
                Nope, not auto-stop. The stopping system is called "winder pay attention to your turn count"...and that's a real pain since that counter zeros out at 2500 turns then starts over. But I can say they are Very, Very accurate. Same thing with my old Geo Stevens winder, but that counter goes to 10,000 turns before it zeros out.

They are really kind of cool counters.

Jim

Jim

Comment

T, The large circular piece that looks like a scale is the counter. I haven't had one of these types of counters in-hand before so don't have much knowledge of them. & it looks confusing a bit with the yoke (U shaped aluminum piece that Jim pointed out) mounted on the outside like that, don't have a clue why that would be. When I've got it here and set up I'll post some pics with more info.

As far as running the 220 @ 110V - would something like this work, with the proper rating of course:
                  Goldsource Stu 200 w Watt Step Up Down 110V 220V Voltage Converter Transformer | eBay

Leo, I looked @ used autoformers on eBay and they ain't cheap!
                  Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

He originally had a pic of the motor, but I don't recall what the Amperage rating was. You might need a bigger unit than the one you linked; it looks to be capable of 0.9A @ 220V which might not be enough on the Coweco. Here's a random and generic chart showing some common motor numbers. Motor Amps Chart

You might want to get a voltage provider that give double the requirements of the motor

This might do it.

This should handle it easy, but again, best to get it in hand to be sure!
                    Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Thanks Dave!
                      Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Are you sure it's not a dual voltage motor, currently wired for 220v?
                        Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Hi -

I recently acquired a Coweco WX model and I'm still working on getting it set up. I am wondering if anyone out there has any manuals that they might be willing to share. I found some nice PDF links with good info but would love to find more. I need to figure out the cam set up. I also would like to know what kind of servicing, cleaning and maintenance people have done. Mine is fairly clean and seems very well lubed as is. The motor runs a little hot, I lubed it lightly, hoping that it will help make it run smoother. Any advice is welcomed. Also still need to figure out how to set the predetermined Veeder Root counter.

Thanks!

Comment

Can you post some pics??

Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X