A Not so charming Beringer Eurolive B212D Dead, and needed for Gig 2Nite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Not so charming Beringer Eurolive B212D Dead, and needed for Gig 2Nite

Arrgh! And I wanted to leave work a bit early. Mr Murphy lives with me...

It's a Beringer Eurolive B212D and it's dead. I checked fuse and it's ok, so is power O/O switch. Did a quick search on the internet for a schematic and found one of lousy resolution but better than nothing. Pulled guts quickly and inspected and C22 differs from all other caps in that it is distinctly domed. Has anyone else had problems with this amp? Anyone have a better copy of the schematic?

[QUOTE=nylicens;404439Anyone have a better copy of the schematic?[/QUOTE]

Thank you LarryP!!

Comment

Originally posted by nylicens View Post
      ...and needed for Gig 2Nite.
      Thanks to a colleague we got them setup with a Passport to get them through the evening.

R&R'd the cap and that wasn't problem. Now to tear it apart again and troubleshoot instead of replacing seemingly bad visual parts that are probably fine......

Comment

Just curious, was the actual cap domed? Or just the plastic disc covering the end?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Just curious, was the actual cap domed? Or just the plastic disc covering the end?
          It was the metal and it stood out from the surrounding caps as being obviously domed, but it seems to be working fine. I'll post pix if I get a chance.

Comment

Here are pix

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Here's the view in circuitClick image for larger version

Name:	cap1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	840302

And here it is after pulling it outClick image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	840303

Comment

Pressure built up pretty high to expand the top so check if the voltage across the cap is within normal range. It is right next to power transistors so if they are getting too hot, note why. Replacing the cap was the correct thing to do. I don't have the schematic in front of me but depending where that cap is, it might indicated a problem with the +12v regulator, of -80volt rail.

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
                Pressure built up pretty high to expand the top so check if the voltage across the cap is within normal range. It is right next to power transistors so if they are getting too hot, note why. Replacing the cap was the correct thing to do. I don't have the schematic in front of me but depending where that cap is, it might indicated a problem with the +12v regulator, of -80volt rail.
                That cap is on the output of a 7812 regulator, and I pulled the regulator and verified its operation out of circuit. I would love to check the voltage, but access to the board is near impossible without tearing it down. I might try soldering 30ga kynar to various spots and bring that out after reassembling, but that seems rather a kludgey way of troubleshooting. Although as I look at it I may just be able to run it disassembled with a lot of care and no signal input. But that method looks awfully iffy. Particularly since Mr Murphy seems always to hover over my shoulder.

Comment

One of my peeves: Let's put an electrolytic cap right next to a heat source.

Probably too late, but if I were replacing those caps, I would leave the lead a bit longer and tip them away from the heat.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Upshot

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    One of my peeves: Let's put an electrolytic cap right next to a heat source.

Probably too late, but if I were replacing those caps, I would leave the lead a bit longer and tip them away from the heat.
                    I am probably way late in finally getting back to this but shortly after a second Beringer Eurolive came in also dead. With two of them in shop I finally gave up and ordered replacement boards on ebay. Installed the replacements and all back to working. Would loved to have traced to component level but sometimes you gotta know when to fold'em. But thanks to all for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X