Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viable conversion project or not?? 1959 tape recorder with a single 6CM6 output tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Sag is where the B+ drops when you play something loud like a big KWANGGG.
    That is the best technical definition of sag I have ever read.

Comment

Just to close this thread out (not that anybody was following it) - I had put this tape recorder aside while I did other things & just came back to it today. Having looked it over, it simply is not a suitable object for conversion. The big problem is the utter lack of a chassis. There are struts & a decaying old board, but since the outer case would not be kept, there is really nothing there to hang an amp on. The components that might be kept are not particularly high quality either. If I stumble upon potential conversions in future, I will know that something resembling a real, retainable steel chassis is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Usable Thought View Post
        Just to close this thread out (not that anybody was following it) - I had put this tape recorder aside while I did other things & just came back to it today. Having looked it over, it simply is not a suitable object for conversion. The big problem is the utter lack of a chassis. There are struts & a decaying old board, but since the outer case would not be kept, there is really nothing there to hang an amp on. The components that might be kept are not particularly high quality either. If I stumble upon potential conversions in future, I will know that something resembling a real, retainable steel chassis is important.
        keep the transformers, etc. pick up some kids broken little squire amp gut it if so inclined and hang the tube stuff in there.

nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
          keep the transformers, etc. pick up some kids broken little squire amp gut it if so inclined and hang the tube stuff in there.
          Actually I've already changed my mind - when I went back the next day & thought about it one more time, I realized there is enough of a frame, plus the front panel where the jacks & knobs live, to justify keeping the front panel (minus reels etc.), the metal surround, and the PCB that mounts on that - it is better quality than I had thought now that I've got it out to look at it. So I will probably go ahead & very slowly build a head in the chassis with the sockets, two tiny transformers, etc. It will need a separate cab to accommodate a decent 10" speaker. This morning I guttted the frame & just need to clean it up a bit.

Comment

Save any parts?

Hello: Did you ever finish your project? I am looking for some parts to restore a similar Trav-ler machine.
            Thanks !
            Matt

Last edited by Boss; 01-05-2019, 09:55 PM. Reason: removed broken quote

Comment

Working...
            X