Vintage Gibson Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Gibson Bass

Anyone know the model, heritage and collectability of this type of Gibson bass?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gibson Bass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	870172
    Headstock does not have that Gibson look to it despite the Gibson sticker. Maybe Silvertone?
    Last edited by kayakerca; 12-10-2015, 07:46 PM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Agree, off the top of my head that is not a Gibson headstock, sticker would indicate something newer so I'd guess it's a fake.

edit: or to be more diplomatic than saying "fake", I mean a non-Gibson with a Gibson sticker on it.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
      Anyone know the model, heritage and collectability of this type of Gibson bass?

Headstock does not have that Gibson look to it despite the Gibson sticker.
      Some odd version of the EB 1. Maybe a far east copy & someone stuck a Gibson sticker on it. Google EB 1 & have a look around.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Yes, looking around I found the identical tailpiece on a number of Silvertone beatle bass copies. Mystery solved.

Strat knobs a bit of a giveaway as well I guess. Going to be one very unhappy camper that wins the silent auction on this bass at the local Salvation Army Store.

Thanks all.
        Last edited by kayakerca; 12-10-2015, 08:14 PM.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Based on the pickups, I'd guess that it's a Harmony/Silvertone.

Comment

Kingston.

KINGSTON VINTAGE BASS GUITAR

Kingston vintage sixties violin bass guitar | eBay

https://www.guitarbroker.com/product...n-violin-bass/

Google for Kingston bass, look through the images link. Each has a main link you can check, this is the first 3 I saw. My Kingston guitar has identical pickups. But made for guitar...Harmony used a lot of the DeArmond pickups like this one..

GibsonBass Bob Daisley Interview, part 4: Bob's other vintage basses

Scroll down, it's toward the bottom.

Here's a Harmony catalog, same DeArmond pickups.

http://harmonyguitarsusa.com/Harmony_Old_Catalog.pdf

Best picture so far here

1960's Harmony H 22 Bass Guitar Vintage - Bass guitar museum

All the Harmony basses I see so far have this style DeArmond pickup, same as in my Harmony guitar. Kingston and Teisco used them for sure. That means a bunch of other off brands as well, the same Teisco factory made a lot of guitars and basses with no labels, anyone could slap their sticker on them.

This bass could be Kingston, Teisco, Del Ray or a half dozen other brands. My first guess is Kingston, I see this same bass listed several times in a Kingston bass search. I have 2 Kingston guitars about this age, one still has the Kingston sticker, the other does not. the one I have is a decal. other companies used a stick on label that would easily come off after 50 years.

This is my Harmony guitar, 1966 model. It's rubber stamped under the pick guard, April 1, 1966

Bobkat H14 guitar - made by Harmony

Mine is a lot more beat up than these...

Oh what the hell, here's a shot of it around 10 years ago, I played it at a gig last night, still works perfect and sounds good...

harmony4 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr
            Last edited by Paleo Pete; 12-13-2015, 12:24 AM.
            Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Working...
            X