Gemini I Speaker Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gemini I Speaker Problem

I just picked up my new / old '65 Gemini 1 on Friday. I'm fairly new to tube amps and don't have much of an electronics history, but I've been trying to learn.

I just picked up my new / old '65 Gemini 1 on Friday. I played it at the shop and it sounded wonderful. I brought it home and after playing for about 15 minutes that evening, the speaker just stopped working. No pops or noises - just suddenly quiet even though the amp was still running and the light was still on.

I had the volume set at about 2 o'clock with my guitar turned down a bit and was enjoying the great reverb and tremolo. I checked all the obvious things, pulled / cleaned tubes, etc. and finally pulled the speaker and wired the amp directly to a 15" cabinet I have - and it worked great so it's not the amp.

One of the posts on the Jensen C12Q would spin but both wires seemed connected okay. I heated them both with a soldering gun and retried with no sound. Then I heated them again and pulled the wires out of the post, clipped on directly and still no love.

Does anyone know if the speaker is shot and what I might have done to kill it? The store is a 4 hour roundtrip from my house so I'll probably just online order another C12Q or a P12Q to replace it if it's bad. I have a multimeter but I'm not too skilled in how to use it yet. Thanks!

Check the speaker by connecting a 9volt battery to the speakers terminals.The speaker cone should move in or out when the battery is touched to the terminals.If it doesnt move,there is a problem.Check with the multimeter to see that you have between 4 and 8 ohms if it is an 8ohm speaker.Should read 9 to 16 ohms if it is a 16ohm speaker.

Comment

Working...
    X