Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Great Guitar Amp Related Tech Books

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0

    Great Guitar Amp Related Tech Books

    I would like to ask what are some great guitar amp tech books around here and if anyone is willing to share them or send them?

    The only thing i found is Tube Guitar Amplifier Servicing and Overhaul - Gerald Weber videos which are really practical and nice.

    So if anyone is willing to help and share please do would love to gain some more knowledge and read interesting stuff.

    Are there maybe also more "practical" books than just academic knowledge type of books?

    Thanks

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Chiraq
    Posts
    1,002
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/5
    Given: 246/1
    Rep Power
    7

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nsubulysses; 12-27-2015 at 07:03 AM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow thanks for the links will sure check these out.

    Does anyone have scans of :
    Guitar Amplifier Handbook - Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds
    All About Vacuum Tube Guitar Amplifiers

    Would love to get hands on these 2

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    I did some digging myself and made a compilation of one of the most higly praised Tube amp tech books.

    Here is the link for anyone who wants to download them:

    Zippyshare.com - Tube Guitar Amplifier Tech Books Essentials.rar

    Enjoy

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Old Timer Tom Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,559
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 158/0
    Given: 92/1
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitarist View Post
    I did some digging myself and made a compilation of one of the most higly praised Tube amp tech books.
    Here is the link for anyone who wants to download them:
    ...
    Kitarist,
    You are on the right track with the type of books that you have selected. That is, books that will provide a good background in basic electronics theory.
    However, I believe that the Denton J. Dailey book is copyrighted material and the copyright information seems to have been deleted from the electronic copy that you found. The book often goes on sale at Amazon. It is also a good value at full list price.
    Tom

    Edit: The Morgan Jones books are clearly marked as copyrighted material.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tom Phillips; 12-29-2015 at 07:08 PM.

  6. #6
    Member Usable Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Woodstock, NY
    Posts
    79
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    4
    I have mixed feelings about the copyrighted / pirated PDFs that float around. I like to get a sense of a book and these are a good way to do so. But I would not share a pirated link. I remember also the controversy over Google scanning books when that started. It's a huge effort to put in the time to write a book (I've written or co-written a few myself) & pirated PDFs take away from the very little money most authors get in royalties. Usually they do it for love not money but even so.

    Usually if I like a PDF of a book and it's still in print in any form, I will buy it. I first got a look at an old edition of "Art of Electronics" as a PDF. I liked it, so now I own a used hard copy of that same edition. Morgan Jones, I got a peek at the PDF of his primary book; bought it new from Amazon, but found it too specialized for me and sent it back. The Dailey book I bought as a Kindle ebook and I may then have also bought the hard copy version but I can't remember just now - my books are in disorder at the moment.

    At any rate I prefer a real book to a PDF and will pay for the privilege.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Usable Thought; 12-31-2015 at 11:45 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    Posts
    608
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Usable Thought View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the copyrighted / pirated PDFs that float around. I like to get a sense of a book and these are a good way to do so. But I would not share a pirated link. I remember also the controversy over Google scanning books when that started. It's a huge effort to put in the time to write a book (I've written or co-written a few myself) & pirated PDFs take away from the very little money most authors get in royalties. Usually they do it for love not money but even so.

    Usually if I like a PDF of a book and it's still in print in any form, I will buy it. I first got a look at an old edition of "Art of Electronics" as a PDF. I liked it, so now I own a used hard copy of that same edition. Morgan Jones, I got a peek at the PDF of his primary book; bought it new from Amazon, but found it too specialized for me and sent it back. The Dailey book I bought as a Kindle ebook and I may then have also bought the hard copy version but I can't remember just now - my books are in disorder at the moment.

    At any rate I prefer a real book to a PDF and will pay for the privilege.
    Me too, if the author is still alive I will gladly pay for the privilege to have their work in print. In addition to the works listed above, Richard Kuehnel's and Merlin's books are just fantastic.

    OTOH, Mr Langford-Smith and RCA (as we discuss it here) are long gone, so I'm not as bothered by downloading their PDFs.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Chiraq
    Posts
    1,002
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/5
    Given: 246/1
    Rep Power
    7
    I agree a physical copy is well worth it. I have physical copies of The Art of Electronics, RCA Receiving Tube Manuals, and The Circuit Designer's Companion. I believe all the others are just old relics long out of print.

    I have the Merlin Blencowe books too which are great. After reading the Jack Darr book as a warm up primer and some Gerald Weber stuff () that is in a loose laymen-style, Merlin's books really helped me reach a higher level of understanding. Wish I had PDFs of those so I could reference it at my workspace or out and about. The Gerald Weber books are pretty obsolete to me now, but they did help when I literally didn't know anything, because they are not technical at all.

    Books are still cool. Reading The Art of Electronics on computer is not that fun.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Lifetime Member Enzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    31,778
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,652/7
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    54
    The Weber books are interesting, but they are worthless for learning anything. His typical mod will show some layout, and tell you to move this here and that there, and change this part to that. You are left with a new circuit, but zero idea what you did.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

  10. #10
    Supporting Member tbonuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    182
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 11/0
    Rep Power
    4
    I've been reading excerpts from Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones this evening. I really like what I've read so far. Seems like a very nice mixture of narrative explanation, equations, illustrations and pictures. Everything that I've read so far seems accurate and intuitively communicated.

    Any thoughts on this one? Thank you in advance--

    http://https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Amplifiers-Fourth-Morgan-Jones/dp/0080966403/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tbonuss; 12-18-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
    Well, you know what they say: "One man's mojo is another man's mojo".

  11. #11
    Bent Member Chuck H's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    pacific north west
    Posts
    15,066
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,104/4
    Given: 2,398/0
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitarist View Post
    I would like to ask what are some great guitar amp tech books around here and if anyone is willing to share them or send them?
    Well, you don't get anything if you don't ask I guess

    I don't think anyone would freely (or more likely at some shipping expense) give of their personal library. The suggestions so far should be great (as far as I know, I don't own most of them). And I must say that I agree on the pirating issue. For some really good, free and mostly downloadable stuff other than strictly printed books you can check out:

    How to design valve guitar amplifiers (already linked above)

    http://geofex.com/tubeampfaq/TUBEFAQ.htm

    Aiken Amps

    And then, of course, there is the search engine right here! I've learned most of what I know in my years of interaction here. As have many of us. Most of it is here or in the archives for the searching. Plug "tremolo" into the search box, dig through the results and you can learn as much (or likely more) about tube tremolo circuits than you can from any one book.

    Cheers

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

    "Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

    "Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

    "Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,839
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 185/2
    Given: 19/0
    Rep Power
    18
    I just received a copy of RG Keen's recently self-published book: Vox Owner's Safety Net: Fix Your Thomas Organ Vox Amp (or Convince Your Tech to Do It For You).

    Niche market (solid-state Vox amps - not a tube in sight), but an excellent explanation and analysis of the circuits that made the Beatles and so many other British Invasion bands great. Profusely illustrated with diagrams. I imagine you'd have to buy it from RG, via the New Page 1 site (although maybe Small Bear will sell it).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    175
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 24/6
    Rep Power
    11
    https://www.amazon.com/Books-Merlin-...lin%20Blencowe

    Especially the one on Guitar and Bass Preamp Design and the one about Degning Power Supplies for Tube Amplifiers.
    SG

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Old Timer Tom Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,559
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 158/0
    Given: 92/1
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by sgelectric View Post
    ...the one about Designing Power Supplies for Tube Amplifiers.
    That one is out of print I believe. In any case, what's up with the listed price of "4 used & new from $1,872.21"
    https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Pow...erlin+Blencowe

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Member robrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    140
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    5
    That Blencowe book is in very, very high demand.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Senior Member potatofarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    361
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    7
    It's probably worth mentioning that a decent amount of the power supply book's info was included in the HiFi Preamps book. Condensed quite a bit, understandably, but the early 'fundamentals' chapters were greatly expanded compared to the three previous books. I do wish he'd put out an error-corrected version, or at least tell us which parts aren't accurate!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    333
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by potatofarmer View Post
    It's probably worth mentioning that a decent amount of the power supply book's info was included in the HiFi Preamps book. Condensed quite a bit, understandably, but the early 'fundamentals' chapters were greatly expanded compared to the three previous books. I do wish he'd put out an error-corrected version, or at least tell us which parts aren't accurate!
    If you do come across this book at a decent price (not $1800 on Amazon) I feel it's worth it. I do have it and it's very informative with few errors, IMHO. On an earlier version of his website, he did say he didn't like it and that's why he discontinued it but I got the impression it was largely due to typos, of which there are a few. But they don't offset or get in the way of the wealth of info provided. Merlin is a great educator, putting otherwise heavily math-based, technical info into common language we all can understand with some basic math to supplement it. But I agree it would sell well in an updated edition.

    In addition, this more advanced math-based book on just power amps is great. https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/books/power-amps/ The power amp is a whole different animal once those big bottles are overdriven and draw grid current. That is very well explained with a chapter dedicated just to this subject. There is also two examples of designing an amp from scratch at the end, one single-ended and one push pull.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DRH1958; 01-30-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Chiraq
    Posts
    1,002
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/5
    Given: 246/1
    Rep Power
    7
    I'll sell mine for only $1500....

    The dust cover and some of the pages are a bit frayed from use. There is coffee spill on one page too, or it may have soaked through a few ....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Senior Member potatofarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    361
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by DRH1958 View Post
    If you do come across this book at a decent price (not $1800 on Amazon) I feel it's worth it. I do have it and it's very informative with few errors, IMHO. On an earlier version of his website, he did say he didn't like it and that's why he discontinued it but I got the impression it was largely due to typos, of which there are a few. But they don't offset or get in the way of the wealth of info provided. Merlin is a great educator, putting otherwise heavily math-based, technical info into common language we all can understand with some basic math to supplement it. But I agree it would sell well in an updated edition.

    In addition, this more advanced math-based book on just power amps is great. https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/books/power-amps/ The power amp is a whole different animal once those big bottles are overdriven and draw grid current. That is very well explained with a chapter dedicated just to this subject. There is also two examples of designing an amp from scratch at the end, one single-ended and one push pull.
    I do have both of these books. I like Merlin's power supply book, but Keuhnel's power amp book I'm more lukewarm on. Plenty of formulas, yes; good mathematical treatment of power amps, especially w.r.t. blocking distortion. He doesn't really go the extra step to explain 'sonic consequences' though. The most egregious example I can recall off the top of my head is in chapter 2 he mentions that beam tetrodes and pentodes are quite different, but we'll discuss that more in chapter 8 (or whatever). When you flip to chapter 8 (or whatever), it's just a referral back to chapter 2. He also references his 5F6A Bassman book pretty often, which is a little frustrating.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Old Timer Tom Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,559
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 158/0
    Given: 92/1
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by nsubulysses View Post
    I'll sell mine for only $1500....

    The dust cover and some of the pages are a bit frayed from use. There is coffee spill on one page too, or it may have soaked through a few ....
    Ha. I'll sell mine for $1499.99. The Book and dust cover are in excellent condition and it includes penciled in typo corrections.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR USA
    Posts
    298
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    5
    I will also fourth or fifth Merlin's preamp books. Amazing book. Get it from lulu instead of Amazon. He gets a bigger cut and he deserves it. Authors of niche tech books don't make squat compared to the effort that goes into it (I speak with experience).

    I'd also recommend the 3 volume Basic Audio set by Norman Crowhurst. It's an older book, but like Merlin's, minimal math with lots of diagrams and pictures.

    You can get it at: Tube Books

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 04:35 AM
  2. Help this neebie(me) in amps and guitar tech
    By coolforyou in forum Guitar Amps
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 02:34 AM
  3. Everything is great until I pull out my guitar cable
    By pbob42 in forum Debugging Your Build
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 09:45 PM
  5. Tino Zottola guitar amp construction books
    By ian2113 in forum Build Your Amp
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •