ENGL Savage 120 with weird grounding issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL Savage 120 with weird grounding issue

This amp makes an annoying 60 or 120Hz noise when guitar is plugged in. When Guitar volume is turned OFF the noise is GONE. When I remove the input tube (V1) the noise is gone. I checked the shielded wire from input jack to V1 tube and is fine. I checked all ground connections of input jack and all seems fine. Different guitars do the same thing.
    So I can't measure the frequency of the hum because when I hook up the ground wire clip of my scope to any ground connection of the amp, this noise is eliminated. When I unplug my scope from outlet (scope ground wire still connected to amp's ground) the noise is back. Anyone can help me figure this out ?

The amp is grounded. I measured continuity from any of the amp's ground connections on PCB or chassis to ground pin of power cord. But somehow through the ground connection of the scope I can eliminate this noise.

Thanks for the help (attached is schematic)
    Attached Files
    "Tubes are less likely than semiconductor devices to be destroyed by the electromagnetic pulse produced by nuclear explosions and geomagnetic storms produced by giant solar flares."

How about if you plug the amp into the outlet that the scope is plugged into?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sounds like the amp's ground connection is bad.
      I assume it has a detachable cord.
      Measure the ground pin of the socket to the chassis.
      Could be the jack, the cord or the chassis ground.

Comment

Working...
      X