• Show
Clear All

• 5e3 junk box build voltages

I've just finished my 5e3 junk box build and checking the voltages

on 5y3 pin 8 314vdc

on one 6v6
    pin3 294 pin4 264 pin5 27 pin6 27 pin8 28vdc

other 6v6 pin3 309 pin4 262 pin5 and pin6 0vdc pin8 28

Which of the above 6v6 is right with no signal applied?
    I know it probably a miswire somewhere as I went true point to point.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

I would double-check the wiring for 6V6 #1's grid connection (pin 5) -- the connection to the 1.5k grid-stopper, or path to ground through the 220k grid-leak resistor may not be good, or the coupling cap to the PI may also be bad. The positive voltage on its grid would explain why it is drawing more current and dropping more plate voltage through the OT.

Overall, I would not be dismayed if your voltages still end up on the low side compared to other 5E3's. It should still sound good in the end.

Comment

It was a coupling cap that was passing voltage just found an replaced it. Time to tighten everything up .

Thanks for Looking Jason

Comment

Uhmmm.

Which coupling cap?????

Comment

on one 6v6
          pin3 294 pin4 264 pin5 27 pin6 27 pin8 28vdc

The one passing dc voltage to pin5.

thanks,
          nosaj

Comment

Ouch.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Why the Ouch?

nosaj

Comment

I think he meant "ouch" is what the tube said.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well that's a heck of a leaky cap... I'd rather use that one as a dropping resistor...

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Wouldn't DC on the grid have been noisy? The amp is louder with the new cap in.
                    Leaky cap thats what i get for using a NOS cherry tv cap. It was a ceramic cap with metal sides from the 70s cracked it open dry as a bone. I would say that'll teach me, but I tend to be a stubborn.

nosaj
                    Last edited by nosaj; 01-03-2016, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                      I would say that'll teach me, but I tend to be a stubborn.
                      Well, c'mon! You choose the vintage-correct parts because you want the vintage-correct failures, don't you?
                      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Well it's not a bad part till it fails is it? I'd bought an old hams electronic bins at a garage sale and when I do a junk build I try to pull from it. But i have to say not 10 mins after I posted the question I had gone back out and saw the answer before me replaced the part and when i came in had the same answer waiting for me. I'm slowly getting there. Now I have to find someone that can play well to tell me what they think of it.

Thanks to all you guys out there for not telling me to go away or take my stuff to a tech

nosaj

Comment

If anyone want's to see the mess I made
                          Attached Files

Comment

Electrons don't care what it looks like!

It's good practice to allow some space between a (hot running) power tube cathode resistor and its bypass cap, so that air can circulate / avoid direct heat conduction between the two.
                            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. So far with a bass on the higher strings it sounds pretty good, I really like the interactive controls.

nosaj

Put a guitar with humbuckers on it, really cool sounds good with old eminence.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	840518Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	840519
                              Last edited by nosaj; 01-03-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X