Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding additional input output to Line6 spider ii amp

First post, be gentle!

Back story - Mexican fender strat, had it since I was 14. Got a 150 watt line 6 spider ii amp for free. Guy didn't want to pay shipping fees to bring it home. Really happy with my setup at the minute.

Just bought a looper and have become engrossed (boss rc3). Best purchase so far, go get one. However, there is one slight issue.

At the minute I'm running the guitar into a separate amp, into the looper and then the line 6. The smaller amp can't handle the rhythm section of the looper. This means I can't use the effects of the line 6 without using headphones or some other sub standard means, prerecoreding the loop and then trying to add more. Far from a creative approach.

Question - can I put an output jack from the effects into the looper and then have an input to the speakers themselves? This would make the whole setup far neater and give me way more flexibility I.e. I could run the whole thing on one amp and still get the full use of the line 6.

The line 6 does have two stereo outputs from the speaker (6 ohms each) but there's no way to go back into the speaker. Any advice or if someone's tried this before that'd be sweet. Nothing so far on Google. Thanks!!

Your description of your idea is confusing for me; could you make a sketch or block diagram of the layout, take a photo and upload it to a hosting site?
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Agree, not clear for me either.
      Originally posted by mac2292 View Post
      First post, be gentle!
      Don't worry, no "13 year olds trying to sound tough" here, on the contrary lots of greybeards and similar (or should it be ) ?
      Got a 150 watt line 6 spider ii amp for free.
      Just bought a looper and have become engrossed (boss rc3).
      At the minute I'm running the guitar into a separate amp, into the looper and then the line 6. The smaller amp can't handle the rhythm section of the looper.
      By your description, you plug your guitar into a small amp, then its Line out into the looper, set it to produce a drums backing track, then into the Line 6.
      If so, how can a drum track introduced *later* influence a small amp which is placed before it?
      This means I can't use the effects of the line 6 without using headphones or some other sub standard means, prerecoreding the loop and then trying to add more. Far from a creative approach.
      If you mean that the drum track will sound bad or horrible after processing through the Line 6 effects, I fully agree, but they simply must not be used that way.

Please be realistic: the drum track is just a convenience for you to play alone, at home, at bedroom levels and *without* effects after it.

*If* you wanted to use it anyway, the looper *should* have a separate "Drums only" output so you could send it to a clean, no effects amp (PA/keyboard or plain simple extra Guitar amp, used clean); if not you are creating a problem to yourself.

Question - can I put an output jack from the effects into the looper and then have an input to the speakers themselves? This would make the whole setup far neater and give me way more flexibility I.e. I could run the whole thing on one amp and still get the full use of the line 6.
      No, you *need* a separate clean amp for the Drums ... and that IF you can have them separate from the guitar signal.

The line 6 does have two stereo outputs from the speaker (6 ohms each) but there's no way to go back into the speaker.
      Those are power *outputs* and the last door which leads you out of the building for good, no way to get back to an earlier stage.

Any advice or if someone's tried this before that'd be sweet. Nothing so far on Google.
      You won't find any comment, except that it can't be done.
      Sorry.

Your best option is to use a separate drum machine into a different effects less amp.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Ah, I really didn't make that one all that clear, my bad.

The current setup is guitar to small amp, output from this to the loop pedal and then into the line6. The way I see it is that the line6 is a combo amp that I want to split into a head and cabinet. The new setup would go like this; guitar into line 6 (head), output into the looper and then into the speakers (cabinet) in the line 6. Is there a way to mod the amp to separate the head from the speakers, ideally using female instrument jacks. This way I'd get all the effects of the line 6 and the versatility of the speakers. Hopefully this is a bit clearer?

Comment

Quote:"The current setup is guitar to small amp, output from this to the loop pedal "

You are still not being clear on this.

What does the above quote mean?
          Output from what?
          A Line Out jack is what you want (or an FX Send jack)

Please don't say from the speaker.

And this quote"The new setup would go like this; guitar into line 6 (head), output into the looper and then into the speakers (cabinet) in the line 6. " implies that you feel that the Looper should be able to drive a speaker.

Comment

What about just putting the looper in the line6 effects loop? Sounds like that is maybe what you are wanting.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
            X