Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 single opamp opa627 to replace a 1 dual opamp opa 2134?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 single opamp opa627 to replace a 1 dual opamp opa 2134?

Hi guys, is it possible to replace a single ''dual opamp opa2134" with two pcs of "single opamp opa627"?
    If yes, is there a mod needed? Can anyone give mea schem? Thank you so much!
    Attached Files

Yes, it's possible, though you need to consider the wider circuit and the reason for the change. Here's a sketch of how to connect the two singles and the corresponding dual opamp pin numbers;

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1751.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	840613

Comment

Yes you can but pinout will not match.

You can replace a DIP OPA2134 by 2 x OPA627 if latter are SMT (so 1/4 sized cases) by using an adapter board.

Now if original OPA2134 is already small SMT (SOIC) package, you don't have enough space.

That said, I don't see much of a point of replacing one by the other, both are very good and will sound the same to any human ear.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I read a post at this site Philip Jackson's HiFi DIY Project - Second Preamplifier Page that he replaced the opa2134 with opa627 and some components like jfet xsistor and some caps and resistors. I just have no idea how to do it.
        The reason why i want to use two opa627 is i cannot find an opa2134. But i have a bunch of burr brown's opa627.
        Got any idea sirs?

Comment

Might this work? I've no idea where you're located.

OPA2134PA Texas Instruments | Integrated Circuits (ICs) | DigiKey
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbizkit View Post
            I read a post at this site Philip Jackson's HiFi DIY Project - Second Preamplifier Page that he replaced the opa2134 with opa627 and some components like jfet xsistor and some caps and resistors. I just have no idea how to do it.
            The reason why i want to use two opa627 is i cannot find an opa2134. But i have a bunch of burr brown's opa627.
            Got any idea sirs?
            Yes, do the same as the article writer suggests, there's no other way so you won't get a different answer, a working one that is.:
            After I finished this project, I decided to improve it by upgrading the two dual OPA2134 opamps to four single OPA627's. I was able to get more free samples from TI, just enough to replace the two OPA2134's. I removed the OPA2134's and replaced them with high-quality, gold-plated IC sockets. Then, I designed and built two daughter board adapters that plug into the sockets and hold the OPA627's.
            There it is, black on white
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

In order to start thinking about the problem you have to tell us in what package are the ICs that you are talking about. Are they SMD, or DIP8? Such adapters are available on ebay (assuming you know what packages are involved). For example, I have adapters that allow using two double opamps in SOIC8 package as one DIP14 IC (with four opamps). I've seen other types of adapters on ebay.
              Here is a photo of my adapter:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	840629

Mark
              Last edited by MarkusBass; 01-12-2016, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info sir..
                But what i want to knmow is that the technical specs of dual opamp opa2134 and single opamp opa627. Internal characteritics, or functions.
                Will the two 627 behave like the single 2134?
                I am planning to use a two 627 in place of one opa2134.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbizkit View Post
                  But what i want to knmow is that the technical specs of dual opamp opa2134 and single opamp opa627. Internal characteritics, or functions.
                  http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa627.pdf
                  http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa4134.pdf
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

[scratching my head] it's you who self-answered it in your own first question by posting the datasheets, which contain that data and lots more.
                    Am I missing something ?

As of whether the substitution will work or not, wouldn't count on a Forum member having done exactly that (not impossible either) but anyway, the project page you are following says it can be done, so that should solve the doubt:
                    I read a post at this site Philip Jackson's HiFi DIY Project - Second Preamplifier Page that he replaced the opa2134 with opa627
                    We still have 2 doubts you should answer:
                    1) what package is the OPA2134 in the project you are building?
                    2) have you already made or bought the PCB? YES/NO

Please answer these 2 questions before anything else, otherwise we'll post even more answers than the ones already shown, without feedback from you, a waste of time and effort.

As a side note, if using the OPA627 becomes very complex, maybe you should leave them aside for now and plain order the proper OPA2134 , we are talking $3 parts here and easily available by the thousands, not some obscure unobtanium mythical audiophile IC .

We in Argentina have an old saying about false economies: "me sale más cara la salsa que el pescado" = "the seasoning is more expensive than the fish I'm cooking" ..... it might apply here
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Philip Jackson's stated goal in the article you linked was to use two OPA627 in place of one OPA2134 dual op amp package. If he is trying to get the best performance then he was probably planning a new board layout. This is because it's not just the chip that affects the system level performance of a design. If you already have a layout then I agree with Juan that you would be best off to just buy the OPA2134. If you try to make an adapter to insert two OPA627 in place of one OPA2134 then, at the least, you will adversely affect the noise performance of your circuit.

Comment

Its an 8pin PDIP package sir.
                        I dont have a pcb layout yet.
                        Im gathering infos and ideas first cuz im really not sure if replacing is possible.
                        And its a GO now.
                        Ima design a pcb layout for rod elliot's preamp mkll project 88.
                        Hope it will work!
                        Thanks for the help y'all!

Comment

Cool, now I can answer:

1) yes, two single Op Amps can replace a dual one
                          As of compatibility, the article you linked to says they can be used successfully, so , as Annie Lennox would say .... "who am I to disagree"?

2) since you still have to design a PCB, no adapters are necessary, just design it for the actual chips you'll use.

Good luck and keep us up to date with the project
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                          X