Name:	IMG_9090.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	860.1 KB
ID:	840679Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9100.JPG
Size:	871.3 KB
ID:	840680

Hi everybody, thank you for your time!!!!

@QUIX4U + WSTLNZ
    thank you for your time and effort. my skill level is like 25 below what you are talking about. I own just a few DMMs
    I do understand what you are talking about the thermal protection inside the transformer. this amp runs extremely cold if below 50% load. I mean after a whole day, it is barely warm to the touch. I use the autoON/OFF function, but I always turn off 'completely' my devices when not in use.

@ DrGonz78
    thank you for the two examples. I am sure it is just an optical illusion, the joints are fine, redid them just because you insisted.
    by "3- NO AC or DC voltage" I meant there was no reading on the CNB02 (marked w/ "red 3" on my pic) (+24V, +15V, etc)

@everyone else:

I double checked the bridge rectifiers for shorts. they are not shorted.

Readings: (see schematics)

Power Board disconnected, transformer by itself
    [big connectors blue,blue,back]
    AC-A + G =38ACV
    AC-B + G =38ACV
    AC-A + AC-B =76 ACV

[small connector brown,black,brown]
    5=G
    5+4=22ACV
    5+6=22ACV
    4+6=44ACV

I won't post all the readings from the bridge rectifiers and ICs since my DDMs are NOT accurate, just a few pics; for the small one RS202M I get about 500-600 with the DMM in 'Diode Mode', same for the big one KBPC2504W. I did little drawings to help me visualize the components.

IC01 7815 and IC02 7915 also seem fine not being shorted. I am not convinced I understand how they work since the pins are differently assigned but the readings are the same.

As stated C10 exploded and I replaced it.

R01 & R02 are open. (thanks @The Dude for clarification)

I do not have 1Ohm resistors and I would like to power up the amp using a 150W light bulb instead of the main fuse -as I've learned this trick while fixing my bass amp. so the question is, can I use different resistor values such as 47-Ohm 1/2 watt (I have 220-Ohm and 270-Ohm)?

I am worried of the fact that the capacitor exploded, but I'd like to check the voltages on CNB02 and CNB101, 201 and I do not have a 1-Ohm resistor.

* I apologize for editing this post so many times in the last minutes. I hope I didn't create confusion or spam.
    Last edited by Jiji; 01-15-2016, 03:15 AM.

Comment

at the risk of someone else chiming in & causing more confusion.....

You mentioned the 104 cap went bad, C1 or C02, replace both of these, i wouldn't use one of those little ceramic caps, get a 100V film cap (like C09 or C10) and use those instead.
      These are for EMC noise suppression, so if you have no replacement, just take out C01 and C02 for now, we can replace them when the amp is working again.

Are you sure you put the 7815 back the right way, and in the correct place, same for the 7915
      The 7815 and 7915 are voltage regulator ic,s the output voltage will be regulated at +15V for a 7815
      No need to know how they work for now. You put 24V in, you get 15V out. They also have a connection to 0V.

Lets do some simple steps, with POWER OFF
      1. Unplug connector CNB02
      2. Unplug connectors CNB101 and CNB201
      This means the power amps are disconnected from the power supply, and the low current +/-15V power supply has no load.

For testing purposes for now, you can use 47 ohm 1/2W for R01 & R02

3. using your multi meter on diode range, check D01 with the probes both ways, record the result, check this again with the multi meter on ohms range

4. Power the unit on

5. measure all the voltages on CNB02, measure with your multi meter, set to AC volts range and then also with it set to DC Volts range
      pin 6 - pin 1, pin 5 - pin 1, pin 4 - pin 1, pin 3 - pin 1
      6. record the results & post here
      example CNB02 pin 6 0.00VAC +28.2VDC
      7. measure and record the voltage across R04 and across R03
      8. measure the AC voltages between AC-A & AC-G and between AC-B & AC-G these should be less than 44VAC
      9. measure and record the AC and DC voltage across R07 & R08, these should both be 0V at this stage as the relay should be off, if they are not zero, we may need to check Q01

If all these are ok, we can go to the last step
      10. connect CNB02 pin 5 to CNB02 pin 6, this should bring the relay in & we can measure the main power supply outputs
      measure and record the AC and DC voltage across R07 & R08

If you get to a point where you don't get what you expect, stop there & don't keep testing

Comment

@QUIX4U + WSTLNZ
        Do you need more pics of the amp, is that what you are saying? I have a hard time following your long posts.
        Please keep in mind that forums like this ALWAYS help future users in fixing and find out information. Keeping the information on topic is a big help for the future readers. I myself enjoy reading forum discussions that are old.

@ mozwell
        thank you for the steps!

CNB02, CNB101 and CNB201 Disconnected.
        I used a(fine) wire link for the R01 & R02.

D01 (on board)
        diode mode: 600/1400
        20K Ohm mode: 1.4

CNB02:
        PIN6 65.5VAC +30.0VDC
        PIN5 0.00VAC 0.00VDC
        PIN4 32.3VAC +15.0VDC
        PIN3 33.4VAC -15.5VDC (reversed probes)

R03 65.5VAC 30.0VDC
        R04 65.5VAC 30.0VDC

R07 115.0VAC +52.5VDC
        R08 115.0VAC +52.5VDC

*VAC reading only in one direction
        R07&R08 Relay OFF: reading = zero;

CNA01:
        PIN1-2: 22VAC
        PIN2-3: 22VAC

AC-A & AC-G: 38VAC
        AC-B & AC-G: 38VAC
        Last edited by Jiji; 01-15-2016, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Dear Jiji, unfortunately you became the focusing point (since you continue the dialog) of a sadly ill person.

I had mixed feelings myself, knowing there is no harm meant , it's just the result of a (deeply) disturbed mind.
          And according to what is seen in his page, has been so for decades.

Different to soundguruman who posted dangerously incorrect or unsafe ideas which could damage user or equipment (plus an assortment of funny pet ideas) here quix only wants to convert you to his wonderful new discovery: that you can derive 10 or 24 or 96 channels out of an old stereo cassette tape , just by connecting a bunch of speakers together, without further processing.
          Anything you ask will lead to that, even if you ask him for a good chili recipe or which bus carries you downtown.

I think it's a bad case of Mania, usually one component of Bipolar Disorder:
          for someone with bipolar disorder, mood swings are out of all proportion to events. They are of such intensity that he or she is no longer aware that his or her exuberance or anger exceeds all limits -

Manic phase

The manic phrase is the opposite of the depressive phase. It is characterized by:

an exalted mood
          an accelerated thinking process
          motor hyperactivity

Exalted mood

The mood of the manic person is exuberant, exalted. But it’s not like the vitality and optimism seen in entrepreneurs.

He or she is extremely confident of his or her powers and charm, is convinced and convincing, and brooks no criticism, becoming easily irritated and angry.

Accelerated thinking process

The thought processes of the manic person are rapid, accelerated. Thoughts tumble over each other so much that the verbal flow cannot keep up the pace and he or she abruptly jumps from one subject to another, talking, talking, talking incessantly, even if the audience is not listening.

Since writing takes even more time than talking, his or her writing can be so incoherent, even he or she cannot understand it.
          Really feel sad about him, and powerless to help.

What to do is your decision, of course, but personally (and to avoid the temptation of answering or arguing with him) I got into his profile and added him to my "ignore" list ... which consists of him only.

In fact I did not read his posts, just that he had written "something", but when I saw he has written you 4 times in a couple hours, I opened them.

Oh my God!!!!

Just watch the first video, where he wires 10 Leds to a stereo output and plays an old tape.
          Then watch it again, complete.

That should do as a vaccine.

Take care.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            I think it's a bad case of Mania
            Geeze I was about to ask him where I can buy his favorite brand of coffee. But that might lead to, you know what, another replay of the same ol' story... 99.44 quintillion channels derived from a boogered up cassette deck. Which has what to do with the subject of the thread?

Who put the Benzedrine in Mister Quixie's Ovaltine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlPQTVEGDtQ
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

At least I got another sig quote out of it...

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

@ QUIX

Congratulations. You've managed to steer yet another thread wildly off track with your unrelated nonsense. I can't speak for everyone, but I strongly suspect that I'm not the only one tired of your bloviating. Look, I could care less if you like me. But, for the sake of those here trying to actually solve problems and get some help, I request that you please run yourself a bath full of shut the f&%$ up and soak in it for a while. You've been asked both politely and impolitely to stop with the full page dissertations. If you want to write a book about your wonderful pseudo-surround "invention", by all means get yourself a copy of Microsoft Word and go to town. This is not the place for it. At the very least, start your own thread about it so we only have to ignore one thread. Please stay on topic and keep your posts short and to the point or leave us alone.

@Jiji

Apologies for ranting in your thread. Now let's get back to the amp.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ignore List

Short of a moderator taking action the best way to deal with a situation like this is to never respond. Difficult to resist however and darn near impossible to get everyone to ignore the posts.
                  It's a real shame that situations like this interrupt the flow of useful information.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignor List.JPG
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	840684

Comment

While I sort of agree with that, part of me says we need to keep an eye on him for the sake of those who might be mislead or discouraged by his nonsense. It would be nice if a moderator "stepped in". I worry that soon every other thread will be full of this "noise".

Comment

I understand the situation. Thank you for the input everybody...
                      I have watched a few vids on his YouTube channel and he's a joyful and very polite person. I don't know what else to say.

@The Dude
                      The amp can wait, people are the main focus!

I posted some readings earlier today. post #24.

"CNB02, CNB101 and CNB201 Disconnected.
                      I used a(fine) wire link for the R01 & R02.

D01 (on board)
                      diode mode: 600/1400
                      20K Ohm mode: 1.4

CNB02:
                      PIN6 65.5VAC +30.0VDC
                      PIN5 0.00VAC 0.00VDC
                      PIN4 32.3VAC +15.0VDC
                      PIN3 33.4VAC -15.5VDC (reversed probes)

R03 65.5VAC 30.0VDC
                      R04 65.5VAC 30.0VDC

R07 115.0VAC +52.5VDC
                      R08 115.0VAC +52.5VDC

*VAC reading only in one direction
                      R07&R08 Relay OFF: reading = zero;

CNA01:
                      PIN1-2: 22VAC
                      PIN2-3: 22VAC

AC-A & AC-G: 38VAC
                      AC-B & AC-G: 38VAC "

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        It would be nice if a moderator "stepped in". I worry that soon every other thread will be full of this "noise".
                        Worse comes to worst, we could set Mindy Fleedleman loose on him. Two of a kind, let 'em entertain each other. Throw Sea Chief in the cage, maybe that nut with his tubes4kids kickstarter begathon too. Nurse Ratched, we got some new inmates for you...

Click image for larger version

Name:	nurse-ratched.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	840685
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Your low voltage supplies appear to be working now. The next thing I would do would be to follow CNB02 to the main/amp board. Measure the resistance from each of the supplies (+15, -15, and 24v) to ground on the main board and make sure there are no shorts or low loads on the main/amp board. If there are shorts, you'll need to first track those down to prevent damage to the LV supply. If your resistance measurements are ok, you should be able to plug CNB02 in and see if the relay will fire.

Comment

the relays fire.
                            there are no shorts on the main board, @CNA02, CNA101 or CNA201.

amp-200 300 amp main.pdf
                            ^Main Board Schematics^

Comment

anyone care to guess what caused the failure in this amp? with R01 & R02 jumped and C10 replaced, the amp powers up.

is it worth thinking about upgrading the amp to a AMP300? there aren't that many components to replace, and as far as I can tell the transformer is the same.

Comment

Thread is closed until we can remove undesirable element...

It looked like Spam-o-matic DID work here so thread is still open. Give me post #'s of your own posts if you want them deleted... (I'm not even going to try to sort out this mess! ) Or edit/delete them yourself if you can.

Steve
                                Last edited by Steve A.; 01-16-2016, 06:41 PM.
                                The Blue Guitar
                                www.blueguitar.org
                                Some recordings:
                                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                                X