Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3337383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,505 of 1604

Thread: What's For Supper?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 156/1
    Given: 378/1
    Now my mouth is salivating, thinking of totally fresh yellow tail sushi.....buttery flavor, just melts in your mouth! Belly cut of tuna, rich in color and scent, and goes down all too soon, but more to come. Fresh Spanish Mackerel sashimi, with a dash of pun sauce and sesame seeds. Who needs the rice when it was just caught that day! Yep.....time for a salmon skin handroll to spice it up. Don't forget the yamagobo (burdock root) in the middle. What's my favorite? WHATEVER IS FRESH! I used to frequent Sushi Sei 3 or 4 times a week in Hermosa Beach.....last short street before the pier. It got to where I could wander on in, sit on down at the counter, and didn't even have to order anything. Amazing treats and dishes just started coming to me from the four sushi chefs there, as we all shared in a several rounds of Suntory Gold. Moving on to nigori sake in the square wooden cup. A proper meal there was 2-3 hours. Ah, I miss those days when I had money to burn.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 769/4
    Given: 0/0
    The wife and I love to order a selection of sushi, an appetizer portion of tempura shrimp and vegetables, a bowl of miso, and maybe a sunomono salad. SOmetimes another appetizer plate like sesame chicken or yakitori. We'd rather order a selection of appetizer plates than one big entree.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 398/29
    Given: 369/11
    Your making me hungry for Chinese.
    We have the World china buffet, and if you can get ordered before 4PM it is the same price as lunch.
    Since we eat early, that works fine for us.
    As long as you start before 4, you qualify. We will probably go tomorrow.
    It has a lot of american food there with the china stuff.
    Lots of red pepper dishes too.
    It's seems strange, but they cook a mean pizza, and keep one on the buffet.
    They have a mongolian grill, but I just eat from the buffet.
    T

“When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.” WILL ROGERS

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    We used to call it a Mongolian grille, but any more they all call that hibachi around here. In either case, you pick up a bowl of raw ingredients from a salad bar type display, they then stir fry it for you on the spot.

Most of the buffets write your ticket when you get there, so lunch ends at 4. Get there at 3:59 and it is lunch, but they start putting out the dinner stuff. No one is counting plates. So you wind up with the fancier stuff too. The senior deal is great. Like $7 includes drink.

Over by the Lansing Mall, we have a World Buffet, an Empire buffet, a Golden Corral, and the Hibachi grille. From Mason it is about 20 miles over there. We make the trip 2 or 3 times a month I guess. We go to Golden Corral about once for every three or four visits to Hibachi.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    You know the buffets spoiled me for CHinese. Used to go to CHinese or Thai place and you get a bowl of rice and a big plate of one dish like sweetnsour pork, whatever. But the buffet lets you get smaller amounts of a bunch of things. I can have a egg foo yung patty and some pepper chicken, rather than choosing.

We refer to the buffet as "the trough".

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 714/5
    Given: 745/0
    I always go after the eel at sushi places. Not anago, which is sea eel. I've actually never tried that. I order unagi, which is fresh water eel. Fresh water being a misnomer, sort of. They're mostly harvested at the mouths of rivers or in deltas. And I'm going out on a limb now, but I think it's a lot like catfish in flavor and texture. Seriously, if you teriyaki roast a piece of catfish I think it would be very similar. But I digress...

Tuna is great! Canned, raw as sahimi or seared as a thick steak. But it's also touchy. Sashimi grade tuna is properly blue fin or big eye. There are specific cuts just like with cows. And there are ways to hang and age it to make it tender as well as certain grain oriented bias cuts, also like cows. Using the wrong tuna or handling it wrong for sashimi is a disappointing experience in texture and flavor. But also like beef, you can be a little off or use slightly lesser cuts and still be ok. Tuna and beef both get their yumminess from myoglobin. Tuna being a little different than many other fish types in that way is why, when handled right, it's not "fishy" at all. I'm far from a tuna expert so I always look into proper selection and handling when I plan to use it.

I make sushi sometimes. I'm not real good at it, but not bad either. It's not that hard. If you get the rice right you're most of the way there. Unless I'm mistaken, the word sushi actually refers to the rice itself. The right rice cooked the right way. It starts with any of several varieties of short, pearl type rice. It's soaked, rinsed (repeatedly), cooked, dressed and fanned while carefully folding. Do it right and it's a terrific textural experience. Sometimes I just put it in a bowl and sprinkle it with toasted sesame seeds, short ribbons of toasted nori and a little soy sauce. Add other ingredients as they suit you. Totally worth learning to make. The idea of putting something on top of a small, compressed pad of it or rolling up some other stuff with it in a nori skin will just happen by itself once you get the rice right.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Sushi is made with short grain sticky rice, it is also generally seasoned with sweetened rice vinegar. Easy enough to make, but I used to have a bottle of already sweetened "sushi vinegar" from the oriental grocery.

Yes, unagi is freshwater eel. That's the stuff.

Thumbs Up/Down
    The sushi part of the chinese place, is what I never eat.
    My wife gets the crab and susi roles.
    Like I say, it all looks like something you would put on a catfish hook.
    There are too many other things there, I had rather eat.
    Not a big seafood lover either, IMO seafood is Navy Beans! lol
    No Golden Corrals in our area, We had a Ryan's for several years, but it went out of biz.
    Eat what you enjoy, I do!
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by big_teee View Post
    IMO seafood is Navy Beans!
    Thanks T. Had a good laugh with that.

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 83/2
    Given: 9/0
    Sounds good. For a change, remove the ginger, add some fresh dill and parsnips. The parsnips add a certain sweetness that really complements everything else, and the Pollack in me needs the dill.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Dill and parsnips sounds like a really good idea with sushi to me. I love those big Asian radishes. Not just like parsnips, but not unlike either. Now I'm thinking that it would be easy to include some capsicum in some sushi ideas Of course Enzo is about to key up and tell us he's already done it and it's great

Thumbs Up/Down
    On the cooked side of things at the sushi bar, Yellow Tail Collar or Salmon Collar are a real delight. Fish heads.....it's at the collar bone on up, and there is some real delightful meat up there. Ignore the eyeballs, of course. Stuffed baby squid is another delight....stuffed with chopped up yellow tail & tuna, mixed in with their orangish spicy sauce, which may be nothing more than mayonnaise and hot chili oil mixed up. Even add in some Enokitake mushrooms. Mighty tasty. I never did acquire a taste for uni (oysters), but, I found I like them cooked. And as already mentioned, unagi (fresh water eel) and anago (seawater eel) sushi. I'm still waiting to spend some time with a marine biologist friend of mine up in McKinleyville, CA, as he regularly goes out into Humboldt Bay to haul in some fresh salmon. I'll bring my sushi knife on that trip...nothing like having FRESH sashimi salmon right there on the boat!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 128/0
    Given: 294/1
    Quote Originally Posted by nevetslab View Post
    OI'm still waiting to spend some time with a marine biologist friend of mine up in McKinleyville, CA, as he regularly goes out into Humboldt Bay to haul in some fresh salmon.
    Watch out for the Humboldt squid! They'll want to exact some revenge, haul you out of the boat, and enjoy some tasty (su..? sa..? uni..? humi..? whatever fresh people are called) snack.

If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    I've been ionized, but I'm okay now. - Buckaroo Banzai

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 557/15
    Given: 581/0
    No Golden Corrals in our area
    We had a Golden Corral about 3 miles up the road. They spent about a year and a half building it, another half a year outfitting the inside, big publicity splash. Then they closed down, seems like only a month after the Grand Opening hoopla. Wha hoppen?

Similar with a Tilted Kilt, a half baked idea if ever there was one. Hooters under a different name, short-kilted big busted college age waitresses, fish & chips on the menu but of course no haggis (BOO!). Big build up, gone faster than you could drive through Brigadoon.

Even our old standby Chicago style Pizzeria Uno has packed up after a 30 year run.

Buffalo Wild Wings lasted a couple years then fizzed out. A second Uno took its place and also fizzled within a year.

NON ILLEGITIMI CARBORVNDVM

Thumbs Up/Down
    My wife likes to make pot roast, does OK at it - don't tell her I said that. One day I got her a couple parsnips and said they would go well in pot roast - sort of like industrial carrots. Well not we can't have pot roast without the damned parsnips. I am kinda tired of them.

Capsicum? If you mean hot chilis I am all for it. In my general plate of sushi at the trough, I always grab a couple "spicy tuna roll" bites. Or spicy salmon roll. SO adding hot pepper to sushi came along way before I did.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I love a good pot roast.
    Headed to World Buffet, will report back later!
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Fortunately the Humboldt squid hang out in the Baja CA bay in Mexico, and not up in northern CA where Humboldt bay is. But indeed, I'd hate to find myself amidst a school of those suckers!!

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'd hate to find myself amidst a school of those suckers!!
    I see what you did there

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'm still waiting to spend some time with a marine biologist friend of mine up in McKinleyville, CA, as he regularly goes out into Humboldt Bay to haul in some fresh salmon. I'll bring my sushi knife on that trip...nothing like having FRESH sashimi salmon right there on the boat!
    I worked with a guy who had a dream of going for tuna for the same reason. Freshest possible sashimi. I learned later that tuna is typically "hung" like so many mammals are to maximize flavor and tenderness. I don't expect that's the case with salmon though. Tuna is red because of myoglobin, just like beef (and humi). Salmon is pink/orange because of astaxanthin. A carotene in many sea creature shells that the salmon eat. It turns color when digested... Or cooked. Which is why lobsters, shrimps, crabs and crawdads turn redder when you cook 'em.

The closest I get to raw salmon is lox. I don't really care for the more oily/fishy sashimi like salmon and mackerel. I guess I'm more of an American sushi guy.

BTW, uni is sea urchin, not oysters. And uni is fabulous but for the little wad of funk hiding in there. The first time I had uni I was chewing along and thought "Wow! This is really goo... Oh god there's something $h!tty in there too!?!" I should learn more about it because other than whatever guts weren't removed I really liked it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    "tuna, the other red meat" - A.B.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Fortunately the Humboldt squid hang out in the Baja CA bay in Mexico, and not up in northern CA where Humboldt bay is. But indeed, I'd hate to find myself amidst a school of those suckers!!
    I'd seen a documentary that asserted their range has extended father north due to sea temperature changes. And the wiki entry claims they've been found as far north as Puget sound, so... I'd keep a watchful eye, yo.

Thumbs Up/Down
    We did the World Buffet, this afternoon before 4PM.
    It was really good, and they really had it loaded nicely.
    Sharon got some of the Sushi, and I nibbled on some of hers.
    It was OK, still needs a trot line and a big Treble hook.
    By the time I ate the big bowl of Hot & Sour soup, several egg rolls, all the lo mein, dirty rice, and all the spicy chicken dishes?
    Don't forget the Pizza, and a bowl of swirl ice cream with chocalate sauce, and sprinkles, who has room for Sushi?
    Was a fun trip!
    T

Last edited by big_teee; 10-12-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: can't spell!

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    You had to mention hot and sour soup!!! When I lived in San Jose there was a place not far away in Campbell that made the very best hot and sour soup I've ever had. They're still i business too! Rare these days for older establishments in S.J. If I ever get back there and they're still open I'm going fo shizzle. They also make the best pseudo kim chi. More of a fresh, lightly pickled cabbage with lot's of red pepper , garlic and ginger. And what they use to call "shrimp boiled dumplings" which were basically pot stickers stuffed with seasoned shrimp and herbs, but just quickly boiled and not fried. The textures and flavors were amazing. All Chinese in the place unless I was there or me and someone I brought That's how you know when it's "right".

If you're in the S.J. area it's called Tsing Tao. On San Tomas Aquino. You have my promise that you won't be disappointed.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 485/3
    Given: 1,060/2
    Mmmm. 3 of my favourite things, hot & sour soup, kim chi, and a couple bottles of Tsingtao.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    But, I did learn something. There are protons, neutrons, electrons, ............ and morons.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Mmmm. 3 of my favourite things, hot & sour soup, kim chi, and a couple bottles of Tsingtao.
    I had one out of the 3, not bad.
    I did like the taste of the wasabi.
    But I always did like horseradish based sauces.
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/0
    Given: 36/0
    big_teee you might like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	416SxxvE9fL.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	50722
    It's a kind of like supercharged Arbys horsey sauce. I like it on sandwiches.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by dmartn149 View Post
    big_teee you might like this

Name:	416SxxvE9fL.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	50722
    It's a kind of like supercharged Arbys horsey sauce. I like it on sandwiches.
    It looks good, is it in most grocery stores?
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    I tried to find an ingredients list on line but didn't have any luck. I'm taking that for a bad sign actually. The sure talk a tall game about using real wasabi instead of horseradish though.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Some kind of east-coast startup. The web page still has the fresh-out-of-the-generic-box look to it. Maybe they just haven't gotten to the level of detail you'd expect? I'd give it a whirl, but I don't think I want it mail-ordered to me.

Thumbs Up/Down
    One of my childhood memories is my maternal grandfather in the kitchen, grinding the horseradish for Passover, and looking like he just came back from a schoolbus-tragedy funeral where he knew everyone who had died.

I unfortunately acquired traits from my parents that do not easily co-exist. From my mother, I love hot mustard that feels like someone hitting you on the bridge of your nose with a ball-peen hammer. From my father, I get flatulence from looking at distilled water.

I love hot and sour soup, to the point of often wasting the cost of a full buffet on a few bowls of the stuff. The more black fungus and tofu the better.

Also a huge fan of Thai "tom ka gah", the slightly hot and sour chicken-coconut soup. I was thrilled to learn that I could buy a jar of prepared paste for making it for a couple of bucks. Has everything in it: the lemongrass, lime, galangal, spices. I empty a carton of chicken broth and a can of coconut milk into a pot, throw in a few tablespoons of the paste, and add pieces of chicken, tofu, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, and some fresh basil. Brings me back from the brink of a cold instantly and reliably.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/0
    Given: 42/0
    Well....for supper last night I had a case of cold beer....and listening to some Deep Purple.......beat that will ya......

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I love hot and sour soup, to the point of often wasting the cost of a full buffet on a few bowls of the stuff. The more black fungus and tofu the better.

Also a huge fan of Thai "tom ka gah", the slightly hot and sour chicken-coconut soup. I was thrilled to learn that I could buy a jar of prepared paste for making it for a couple of bucks. Has everything in it: the lemongrass, lime, galangal, spices. I empty a carton of chicken broth and a can of coconut milk into a pot, throw in a few tablespoons of the paste, and add pieces of chicken, tofu, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, and some fresh basil. Brings me back from the brink of a cold instantly and reliably.
    Ah......nothing like a proper bowl of tom ka gah, served from the hot pot at the table of my favorite Thai restaurant. Even when you make the mistake of taking a breath during the ingestion and break into a fierce coughing fit, which does always pass, leaving you with watery eyes.....all the more to make you appreciate what a wonderful dish that is, and don't hurt yourself. So delightful to have your band mates there at the table so you can order lots of dishes, and really make a proper meal from all of it. And yes....PLEASE bring on the spice rack to the table!!!

I've yet to go thru the motions of learning how to prepare tom ka gah from scratch....one of my goals for sure!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Here's how I cheat.

Name:	slhApp9.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	50728

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/0
    Given: 36/0
    It looks good, is it in most grocery stores?
    T
    I haven't been able to find anything like it in my grocery store. The bottle I got was from a kind of surplus liquidation store. It's so tasty I can't imagine that it won't start showing up on store shelves.

Thumbs Up/Down
    We had chili 3-way tonight.
    Angel hair spaghetti on the bottom.
    white kidney beans in the middle, homemade chilli on top of that.
    Topped with ground red pepper, shredded cheddar, and parmesan over that.
    Salad before that.
    I over did it, but it sure was good!
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thread Information