Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a rye sense of humor

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 887/5
    Given: 0/0

Having a rye sense of humor

My darling wife got me a fifth of rye whiskey for Xmas. I have been enjoying it. Just in case, she also got me a PacMan shot glass to pour it into. And out of...

I drink my whiskey neat.

Having a shot as I type.

Cheers!

Not sure it is agreeing with my Lasix pill.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 560/15
    Given: 456/13
    Well , they are both diuretics so at least they push the same way.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 190/3
    Given: 125/0
    When I first read the thread title I thought it would be about rye bread with you being a crusty old fart

I like Talisker neat (of course). The only thing that should be added to a glass of whiskey is another shot.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    A buddy brought over a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye; apparently it's winning awards. Still haven't gotten around to trying it.

Not sure where it's available, but Cotton Club Less Sweet ginger ale is a fantastic mixer for whiskey. I'm going to have to try this rye straight at least once though.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 655/15
    Given: 708/0
    Quote Originally Posted by potatofarmer View Post
    A buddy brought over a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye; apparently it's winning awards. Still haven't gotten around to trying it.

Not sure where it's available, but Cotton Club Less Sweet ginger ale is a fantastic mixer for whiskey. I'm going to have to try this rye straight at least once though.
    Unless you really can't stand the straight-up NH rye, no mixing. I've been looking for it at my local booze supermarket, no dice. Just a bunch of expensive pretenders. Cheap rye's OK for mix drinks, good flavor starts about $25-30 with Redemption Rye. The $60 bottles don't impress me, and most of them come from the same distillery regardless of fancy label. That's why I paid attention when I heard about this year's taste test winner, if it's that good, worth a try. So here's to yez'all that drink your whusky neat - sip slow & enjoy! Water's - for boiling spaghetti. I'll join you . . . . later this evening. Talisker's a good nip too, & a true blue Scot recommended Famous Grouse, very good indeed & affordable besides.

Thumbs Up/Down
    MY upscale brother in law likes Jack Daniels. Personally I find it nasty, and for sour mash I much prefer George Dickel, but that's another story. For Frank Sinatra's 100th anniversary of birth, JD came out with a special Sinatra edition. Frank used to have JD on the stage next to him, and he drank it while performing. SO I thought I'd get BIL a bottle of it. Oh well, the stuff sells for like $130 a bottle, and online sellers don't ship to Michigan anyway. There is also a VERY special supreme edition that is $500 a bottle. Ron won't be getting that one either.

SO I bought a little half pint of regular JD, found a classic photo of Frank in his fedora online, and printed it. Then I taped it to the little bottle. There, there's your Sinatra Jack.

Xmas day, I find out that not only was BIL totally unaware of the Sinatra edition, he had also decided to stop drinking whiskey.

Oh well.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Unless you really can't stand the straight-up NH rye, no mixing.
    Oh yeah, that was more of an aside. I had a buddy tell me about that, as he used to drive all over trying to find it. Me, it's just at the corner store...

I was booze shopping on the day when Lemmy died and I did briefly consider some bourbon. Kind of feel bad now, but then I also passed on Jameson and by all accounts Shane Macgowan is still breathing.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by potatofarmer View Post
    I was booze shopping on the day when Lemmy died and I did briefly consider some bourbon.
    If you get in the mood again, Rebel Yell is pretty darn good, at a reasonable price. For a long time they didn't/wouldn't ship north of the Mason Dixon line. Discovered it when I visited college g.f. in Richmond VA. Had to pick up a bottle at the local ABC store, staffed back then & maybe to this day by Virginia State Police. Seemed kinda funny buying booze from a uniformed state cop, smokey hat on & pistol on his hip. At least one could be sure, nobody was going to rob the liquor store.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 115/2
    Given: 11/0
    I don't drink, but more than a minute of this could easily drive me to it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYzjjs6d1s

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 144/0
    Given: 372/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I don't drink, but more than a minute of this could easily drive me to it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYzjjs6d1s
    I caved in after about 12 seconds!

If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    I've been ionized, but I'm okay now. - Buckaroo Banzai

Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh dear lord, Mark.

I spent many years in the arcade industry, as well as our industry, And when PacMan hit, it was everywhere. people would talk to me and say, "Gee, it must be great getting to play all those games for free." yeah sure. If I never see another Asteroids game it will be too soon.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 2/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    The only thing that should be added to a glass of whiskey is another shot.
    I've shared the same view until recently. Just a few drops of water wakes up the spirit and intensifies the flavours. I had my doubts, but it does work - especially on full cask and quarter cask strengths.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 190/3
    Given: 125/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    I've shared the same view until recently. Just a few drops of water wakes up the spirit and intensifies the flavours. I had my doubts, but it does work - especially on full cask and quarter cask strengths.
    OK, I'll give it a try
    I wouldn't add anything flavoured though. In Scotland they have the nasty habit of adding lemonade.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Mind you, the Scots also drank Red Biddy - red wine 'fortified' with methylated spirit. They also batter and fry Mars Bars.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    Mind you, the Scots also drank Red Biddy - red wine 'fortified' with methylated spirit. They also batter and fry Mars Bars.
    Methylated??? Geeze I hope not. Methyl alcohol will do in your kidneys, liver, eyes, brain. Methyl is what you find in badly made moonshine, denatured alcohol, Sterno. Bad stuff! Quick trip to the graveyard.

Hi-proof ethyl, I can understand. Make your own Thunderbird. Sort of like putting vodka in beer = boilermaker. Fast drunk, bad hangover.

Deep fried Mars Bars, hell county fairs in the USA have deep fried everything. On a stick. Even deep fried butter for those who can stand to chow down on pure fat.

In London but not Scotland I've seen people order Scotch & Coke at the bar. Cognac & Coke too. I s'pose if there's no bourbon or Canadian whisky available them's the choices. One of the weirdest things I saw in London was a drink made of Avokaat & blackberry brandy. Avokaat is dutch, sort of a boozed up egg nog. No mixing, just pour 'em in one after the other. The drink looks like a glass full of pickled brains oozing dark blood. I was tipping back a few bevvies with Duran Duran's crew in 1984, came my turn to buy, one of 'em ordered that. Must be just the thing for the Goth crowd. She seemed to enjoy it a lot.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/0
    Given: 45/2
    FYI Methyl alcohol is toxic to humans because the regular ethanol metabolizing enzymes turn it into formaldehyde (1 carbon) instead of acetaldehyde (2 carbons). Acetaldehyde is the compound which causes many Asians to flush bright red when drunk, since they lack this 2nd enzyme in alcohol metabolism . The first enzyme can be inhibited by aspirin; taking 2 extra strength aspirins before drinking makes you get ~20% drunker.

The mechanism whereby methyl alcohol causes blindness is very poorly understood, it happens to some people but not to many others.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 264/4
    Given: 556/11
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Had to pick up a bottle at the local ABC store, staffed back then & maybe to this day by Virginia State Police.
    Update for Leo: nope, as I see it, staffed by regular folk like you and me: part-timers, vets, retirees, and in my neighborhood, more often cute college girls. The ABC board is (rightly) under scrutiny for their quasi-police powers after several high-profile new stories of "unnecessary roughness" by plain-clothed officers. There is also a push to privatize the stores themselves - yup, own a stake in the Alcoholic Bureaucratic Corporation.

Justin

"... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Update for Leo: nope, as I see it, staffed by regular folk like you and me: part-timers, vets, retirees, and in my neighborhood, more often cute college girls. ... Justin
    Thanx for the update Justin. I thought it was weird & cool at the same time, back then, to buy booze from the cops. Never got around to asking the sommeliers-in-uniform for recommendations on good wines & booze. Would make for a good comedy movie script.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 916/5
    Given: 943/0
    I don't get to enjoy spirits often. The ones I like are expensive. A good single malt at 15 years (21 when I can). With state tax that's $90 to $170+ a bottle here! I've had three bottles in the last 12 years. Two were gifts. And I'll back the idea of a little water. I use to go rocks and wait for the ice to melt a little, but the cold stifles the volatiles Now I just add about 20% water. It lessens the assault of alcohol as a solvent and allows me to actually taste the scotch. About a year after I started doing that, I remembered that my dad always drank his whiskey that way. No ice, dash of water.

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    I don't get to enjoy spirits often. The ones I like are expensive. A good single malt...
    I like a single malt as well. sometimes two

Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh I do so love that kind of malt beverage too. I keep a jar of malt in the cupboard. At the diner, if I order a milk shake, I always ask for malt in it. Even a strawberry shake is good malted.

And coffee ice cream? Sure, coffee and chocolate. One of my favorite fast food items is the Arby's Jamocha Shake.

I can't stand milk or sugar in my coffee, but coffee flavor in my ice cream is just fine.

Chuck there are so many great kinds of spirits. I enjoy a single malt myself, even some lesser ones. But I largely prefer other spirits. I like bourbon a lot, and straight rye. (SOme call the typical blended Canadian "rye") But I also really enjoy the brandies, like Cognac and Armagnac. And Calvados is a favorite I almost never have. (A high quality apple brandy) Any of those are excellent Xmas gifts, in my view.

Water is OK if you like it, I prefer it neat. After all, when it comes out of the barrels, they add water to proof it down to market proofs. I honestly wonder if the folks who like some water in their whiskey prefer the 80 proof bottle to the 100 proof bottle, at least in the makes that come in both?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    There are differing claims as to what happens when water is added to whiskey - that it crates new and immediate effects as opposed to the completed reactions of water added by the distillery, that it raises the temperature of the spirit and creates more fragrance.

I was given 6 bottles of Laphroaig 1/4 cask and have to say as I got through it my palate become quite jaded. That's when I tried adding just a few drops of water and it really did make me re-appreciate how good this is.

If I have one weakness, it's single-malt and I'd rather have a cheap shirt and good bottle of whiskey any day.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Armagnac.
    Mmm, yeaaah! That's the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo
    Water is OK if you like it, I prefer it neat. After all, when it comes out of the barrels, they add water to proof it down to market proofs. I honestly wonder if the folks who like some water in their whiskey prefer the 80 proof bottle to the 100 proof bottle, at least in the makes that come in both?
    Good point!

Whether added at the distillery to temper the proof, or added at the table to your serving, water quality matters a lot.

Scotch, I have found when watered down a lot, does become quite another drink. After my first day participating in a jury examining a murder case, I figured out why some lawyers drink a lot. And I did too. Couple glasses of 100 Pipers well watered down started to settle my nerves, without boring a hole thru my stomach. Sometimes it's just what's needed.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Laphroaig, well, she's just a bit too much for me.

I forget who said it, but I always liked the line about it, "Ye have to be a verra determined laddie to get that stuff doon."

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 583/21
    Given: 1,290/5
    I read an interesting article today about how the older scotches are disappearing and may not come back. I have noticed many are no longer marked with age. Seems scotch has become more popular, and 12 to 18 years ago they did not account for that.
    Drink ?em while you got ?em: It?s last call for the old whiskies, a victim of their own success | National Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    But, I did learn something. There are protons, neutrons, electrons, ............ and morons.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Laphroaig, well, she's just a bit too much for me.

I forget who said it, but I always liked the line about it, "Ye have to be a verra determined laddie to get that stuff doon."
    LaFroggie was a favorite in my club-mixing days. No not club soda. So strong, so densely smoky I'd order a double just before showtime & take hours to slowly sip it. Drinking yes, but not enough to get drunk, avoiding the pitfall of DWI once all was said & done. Much cheaper & less damaging than half a dozen beers I might otherwise be tempted to have. If a place didn't LaFroggie I'd make up an awful drink like Jack Daniels & orange juice & do the same. Puzzled some bartenders, bamboozled some cops.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I got a bottle of full-cask 25 year-old Laphroaig as a thank-you for the loan of a concrete mixer. Now, that was really special. Mind you, it didn't quite make up for the condition of the mixer; when the guy tipped it he pushed the mixer off its stand and over a drop into the pile of wet concrete.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    It all tastes like paint thinner to me. Which is why the 21 year old Whyte & Mackay I was given when in Glasgow in 1985 or '86 is still sealed, in its presentation case (cork wet). Every few years I take a peek at it, and put it back in the closet.

Thumbs Up/Down
    AH, my mom and dad said the same thing about rock and roll. I guess there is room for all tastes.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I have an amusing story about Whiskey;

A Scottish chap who was the mechanical engineer at a place where I used to work in the 1980s was enthusing about whiskey, as he often did. He told me about a new brand he'd discovered, I think it was branded 'Old Balmoral', but was really cheap (about a third the price of a regular bottle). He said he'd get me a bottle. So a few days later he had a case of 12 bottles under his bench. I took one and it was really good. Everyone who bought a bottle said it was one of the best malts they'd tasted.

Some weeks later someone asked me if I'd hear the news about the distillery. I hadn't. It turned out that the 'Single Malt' was brewed with tap water and turkey food pellets in an abandoned industrial building in the city where I worked. A passer-by had smelt the vapours from the still and called the authorities.

So much for Scotch snobbery.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I don't remember if I told this story here yet...

It was the end of December 1969, I was in New York, hanging at the Hotel Albert. That was an experience in itself.

New Years eve, we had dropped some killer acid and wanted to go down and do Times Square at midnight. SO sometime late in the evening we headed out. The streets of new York always had people walking along, especially in the Village. But this evening, I noted all the people were walking the same direction. Maybe just the LSD? Got to the subway entrance, and people were going down, but none coming up. The train was busy enough, plenty of folks on it. As the ride to Times Square progressed, more and more folks got on the train, and no one left. it was getting crowded, in fact even getting on in the Village, I still had to stand.

So my friends and I were laughing and having a good time, and pretty buzzed. Stoned hippies. An older fellow on a seat was looking at us with a smirk. He looked at me and said, "Here, kid, try some of the real stuff." And he handed me a paper bag he was carrying. In it was a fresh fifth of Old Grand Dad bourbon. I cracked the bottle and took a swig. WOW, it was nectar of the gods. I had had whiskey of course, but maybe not while tripping. it was such an intense and warming thing. So delicious. I handed it back thanked him and said, "Man that's good." And I have had a place in my heart for Old Grand Dad ever since.

We got to Times Square, and the train emptied out entirely, and we all went up the stairs and out into the crowd.

The whole Times Square thing is also a real trip. The kind of thing I am real glad I did, and would never do again. Intense pressing of the flesh. But that too is another story.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
    It all tastes like paint thinner to me. Which is why the 21 year old Whyte & Mackay I was given when in Glasgow in 1985 or '86 is still sealed, in its presentation case (cork wet). Every few years I take a peek at it, and put it back in the closet.
    Left sealed, that's what I should have done with a bottle that was gifted to me @ 1987. Sold as a Scotch but I have my doubts, "Old Sheep Dip." Definitely NOT for the Scotch lover, they'd spit it out. Being the adventurous type I drank it anyway, verrrry slowly, and noticed ticks avoid biting me to this day.

Perhaps some water would help. Lots and lots and lots of water. But the EPA might get on your case.

Probably made up lore has it, canny Scottish farmers would order Sheep Dip and add the cost to farming supplies subtracted from income when figuring profits to be taxed.

There's a mate to Old Sheep Dip, Pig's Nose. In more recent times the brands have been switched to another company, and somewhat reformulated. Maybe they leave out the DDT now?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
    +1

As a chemist I eschew EtOH, my usual disclaimer being "its not even chiral" There are sooo many better molecules!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    I pretty much quit drinking around 1978, way too much of it...never did develop a taste for whiskey, even after 2 or 3 years of a 5th a night of Black Velvet or Jack Daniels...yes, 120 lbs and a 5th a night, like I said I was drinking way too much...

These days I'll have a good beer 2 or 3 times a year, usually an imported German dark or ale. Optimator Spaten is hard to beat, Paulaner Salvator is an old favorite. And of course Christmas beer from the original Budweiser brewery over there is a treat, but only made once a year and not easy to get in the US. My brother was traveling extensively and brought me back a beer or 3 from everywhere you can think of. Also a bottle of Vodka from Russia that I still have, probably sent it to me around 1985.

Old Grandad...1st whisky I ever drank, got me thrown in jail for drunk in public graduation night in 1973...
    Never could touch Scotch, the smell makes me nauseous. Ditto for Rum. Open a bottle of Crown Royal and I'm running the other way...unless you like watching a sober old fart throwing up...

These days I do like a shot of a good liqueur now and then, cinnamon schnapps or Bailey's...not hard to make your own either but if you use Everkleer watch out...

Enzo's story reminds me of a night I munched on a couple of good mushrooms with a friend at a local pub, we'd get together every Wednesday night and do a couple then play pool all night. I had a couple of good fields scoped out, and a bunch of them dried. So my friend and I were nibbling on a couple of shrooms and chasing it with a good wine, we'd both make one glass last 3 hours, and the owner came over to clean tables and was going to grab his potato chip bag as trash, Tom grabbed at it, too slow, so the owner asked what it was..."potato chips"...owner glanced inside..."yeah right" and handed it back to him...

So the same group of friends partying in the same bar introduced me to a guy who wanted to try them. I was pretty cautious, they assured me he was OK, this guy didn't look even remotely like someone who would be into that kind of thing...so I gave him a few and told him be sure and realize this is enough for 4 or 5 people. He thanked me and left. He came back in a half hour later with a pizza box from a local pizza house, walked over and told me the first slice was mine and opened it...first thing I saw was the same mushrooms I had just given him...HUH??? How the hell??? Oh no problem, I'm the manager...he ended up partying with us as a "regular" for the next 2 or 3 years...

Then there was the first time I ever tried Tequila...that stuff should be left south of the border, there's a reason Mexicans are crazy...I had about a dozen shots and somebody talked me into getting on a skateboard, something I'd never even seen. OK so it didn't look so hard, the hill didn't look so high...I made it about 10 feet and busted my ass. Chased it down and tried again...20 feet or so and busted my ass...OK I can do this...3rd time I managed to stay on the thing all the way down this hill...damn it didn't look this high....got to the bottom and that's when I noticed that speed bump...OH CRAP...I never went back and looked but I'm pretty sure the bushes I rolled 15 feet onto were at least half holly bushes...and do you have any idea how damn hard concrete is??? Next day I thought a couple of golden gloves boxers had used me for sparring practice...Never got on a skateboard again...didn't learn my lesson about Tequila though, I went through a 5th a night for a while a couple of years later too, before I quit...The Two Fingers people probably liked me a lot...

Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 916/5
    Given: 943/0
    Alcoholism is common to many cultures. It never gets recognized, but it's there. What you seem to experience is what a friend of mine calls "no brakes". I am definitively an alcoholic. I drink every day, I anticipate the activity and I get very put off and grumpy if anything gets in the way. But I only drink three beers a night. I actually design it that way because I want to protect my addiction. I only buy three a night so that I will only drink three. If I can maintain this it pushes out the day when I have to stand in front of a group and say "Hi. My name is Chuck and I don't get to drink anymore." So, for the moment, I am what I call a low level, high functioning alcoholic. And by my observation there are a lot of us out there.

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thread Information